Breeding Brine Shrimp

Author Topic: Breeding brine shrimp  (Read 4063 times) 8 replies

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Breeding brine shrimp
« on: March 08, 2020, 11:26:11 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Hello folks, sorry I've not been around for a while.

My 7 yo was given an "Aqua Critters" set for her birthday. When my husband and I were children, we knew them as sea monkeys. As an adult fish keeper, I know them as brine shrimp (artemia).

As you can probably imagine, the toy kit leaves a lot to be desired (for aeration, you are instructed to put holes in a plastic pipette with a pin!). So I am trying to improve the set up with my fishtank spares.

We failed to get the eggs included in the kit to hatch. So my husband ordered 10g online (the smallest amount available). It is A LOT of eggs! A tiny amount went into the hatchery, and they successfully hatched. The instructions said to leave the hatchlings in the hatchery for 3 days, then transfer them to the tank (1.2l). We have been using water from my fishtank supplemented with table salt. The first night in the tank, the water went cloudy pink and we think the shrimp started dying.

The research I have done is all about breeding artemia for fish food so seems to use a cone with a tap on the bottom, whereas we have a tiny tank (with purple sand and a plastic mermaid!). Can anyone advise / point me to a recommended set up for keeping artemia?

I'm pretty sure we need to improve aeration, but I'm not sure if my spare bubble line would appropriate. I'm also unsure whether the tank needs additional heat and / or light. And I'm also concerned about the stocking level.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Breeding brine shrimp
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 06:19:40 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Good to see you drop in / back, @Helen  :wave:

I'm afraid I have no particular experience in a project like this but hopefully someone else on here might have beyond the various suggestions that pop up in a general internet search on the subject.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 07:55:25 PM »
Hi @Helen

I have hatched and raised Artemia to feed to fish fry. But, I've not kept them beyond this stage of development. I can't say for sure but my guess is that the reason for the tank water going pink may be because you used Table Salt. I believe this is iodized. When I hatched Artemia, I used natural Rock Salt. I got this from a supermarket.

More information about raising these critters here:

https://www.wikihow.com/Care-for-Sea-Monkeys

JPC

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 06:44:40 PM »
Thank you @jaypeecee

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 07:10:30 PM »
Not all table salt is iodised (the only one I've ever found was Cerebos iodised salt) but they all contain anti caking agents.

Aquarium salt is also pure sodium chloride.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 07:25:40 PM »
Everything you wanted to know about Table Salt (but were afraid to ask):

https://www.thoughtco.com/what-is-table-salt-604008

JPC

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2020, 07:33:36 PM »
Americans seem to have nothing but iodised salt. I argued with an American on another forum about this, so I looked at every brand of salt in several supermarkets and only Cerebos salt had iodate in the list of ingredients. I know that iodate is added to salt in places far from the sea to prevent thyroid problems, but nowhere in the UK is far from the sea so we don't need it. But a large area of the USA is a long way from the sea so they routinely add it.

Most UK salt contains just sodium chloride and sodium ferrocyanide (the anti caking agent). Have a look at the ingredients next time you are in a supermarket  :)

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2020, 10:23:19 AM »
Thank you for that information. The salt didn't make the water pink when we used it in the hatchery.  But I have absolutely no idea what salt it was because we buy a bag from the supermarket and re-fill our salt pourer.

I was also going to add that I have some granulat sea slt that I can crush an use, but that was also from a refill place, so I don't know that it has other ingredients. (Though I think it unlikely)

:fishy1: (my son is watching me type and wanted to see the fish!)

I guess the thing that I keep coming back to is aeration. How much do shrimp actually need? Could they use it up overnight?

Offline adiv

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2023, 11:05:50 PM »
makes no difference whatsoever what salt you use, i have used table salt, rock salt and sea salt exactly the same hatch rate and i used to hatch shrimp by the million when i was seriously breeding, 20 tanks full of fry mostly angel fish. used to cost a fortune for the tins of eggs. (billions in each tin)
to grow the shrimp to adults, get rid of the substrate, you want a clean bottom and you need light and warmth. small water change every day and feed mostly with green water.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Breeding brine shrimp"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post October 19, 2013, 09:56:50 PM
by Cinders
15 Replies
Last post December 17, 2015, 01:18:52 PM
by AdyDnt
4 Replies
Last post September 08, 2016, 11:35:38 AM
by Fiona
2 Replies
Last post September 13, 2017, 08:37:04 PM
by Andy The Minion
21 Replies
Last post November 03, 2019, 10:45:13 AM
by Littlefish
3 Replies
Last post September 03, 2022, 10:52:07 AM
by Hampalong
0 Replies
Last post November 30, 2022, 03:34:40 PM
by adiv

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: