Author Topic: will i be over stocked?  (Read 5093 times) 19 replies

Offline brian c

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
will i be over stocked?
« on: October 22, 2014, 04:28:35 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
my 29 gallon high 30x12x18(L D H)
the tank pretty well planted and i will keep on getting more plants til i cant get anymore.the plants i have now is
ozelot sword
amazon sword
banana plant
apongeton plants
some kind of crypt
tiger lotus
some kind of val
some kind of Hygrophila
and some kind of sword and another plant i have no idea what the heck it is

filters i currently have
aqua tech 20-40     penguin bio wheel 200
they have pretty weak flows and i think there was something wrong with them when they were made so i am gonna replace both of them with marine land bio wheel filter 350 and a aqua tech 30-60.

fish i am planning to have
6 white clouds
6 black phantoms
6 pristella tetra
6 serpae tetra
1 blue gourami
6 cories of mixed species
6 kuhli loaches
1 siamese algae eater
6 oto
1 bristle nose pleco
all the way down to siamese algae eater are fish i already have.

i do 3 10 gallon water changes a week on that tank.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: will i be over stocked?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 03:29:57 PM »
You will be very overstocked.

Leaving out the cories for now as they don't appear in the community creator, the rest of the fish come to 139% assuming oversized filtration, and 167% for normal filtration. And then you'd need to add the cories on top of that.

And the CC has a whole load of red warnings too, including:
tank too small for bristlenoses
tank too small for SAE
tank too small for blue gourami

And other considerations include
white clouds need cooler temps than the other fish
serpae's will quite likely nip at the gourami
cories should be in a group of 6 of the same species not mixed.

How about:
rehome the white clouds (temp problems)
rehome the serpaes (too nippy)
rehome the bristlenose (too big)
rehome the gourami (too big)
drop the SAE (too big)
rehome the cories (need to be the same species and if you rehome them it keeps your stocking to sensible levels)

That leaves:
black phantoms
pristellas
kuhlis
otos
which gives you 81% for oversized fitration/98% for normal

With large water changes, that would be do-able

Offline brian c

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 10:55:36 PM »
ok i dont use the calculator on this website cuz i just dont like it.ok the serpae are not nippy no one has gotten nipped the gourami makes sure of that.the bristle noses only get to about 4-6 inches depending on gender.the gourami is a 4 inch peaceful blur gourami.i am not expecting her to grow very much now.maybe an inch but no more than that.the sae only get to 6 inches and is not that bulky so it does not make a BUNCH of waste.i dont think you noticed the note i put below the sae i said down to the sae i already have in the 29 gallon tank.that is not entirely true because the kuhlis and sae are in qt.and i have 1 emerald cory,1bronze cory(those two breed together)1 Juli cory,3 albino cory(2 of them breed together)i got the juli by accident i got a bunch of plants and they didn't see him.if you want to know what calculator i use then click the link http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php?AquTankName=&AquListBoxTank=Choose&AquTankLength=30&AquTankDepth=12&AquTankHeight=18&AquListBoxFilter=Aquaclear+300&AquTextFilterRate=70+&AquListBoxFilter2=Aqua-Tech+30-60&AquTextFilterRate2=60+&AquFilterString=&AquListBoxChooser=Albino+Cory+%28Corydoras+aeneus%29&AquTextBoxQuantity=6&FormSubmit=Add+%3E&AquTextBoxRemoveQuantity=&AlreadySelected=200909300241%3A6%3A%3A%2C200909300021%3A6%3A%3A%2C200911111530%3A6%3A%3A%2C200909300205%3A6%3A%3A%2C200909300029%3A1%3A%3A%2C200909300207%3A1%3A%3A%2C200909300153%3A6%3A%3A%2C200909300033%3A1%3A%3A%2C200912072116%3A6%3A%3A&FilterMode=Display+only+suitable+species+for+your+tank&AqTempUnit=F&AqVolUnit=gUS&AqLengthUnit=inch&AqSortType=cname&FilterQuantity=2&AqJuvMode=&AqSpeciesWindowSize=short&AqSearchMode=simple

Offline Wild Rover

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 11:50:43 PM »
Brian.. I clicked update on your link and it now says your stocking level is 185%  :yikes:

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Dwarf Rainbowfish (24) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline brian c

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 11:58:19 PM »
well if i get rid of the 6 oto and the plec i am at 153%this is the lowest i can go.will the tank be ok with the 3 10 gallon water changes?i really dont want to have to rehome any of my fish.i love them to much to let them go.

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 10:01:01 AM »
aqadvisor is a worse calculator than the one on this site.

When I said that some of your fish are too big, I used Seriously Fish not the profiles on here for the fish size and tank size. That site is regarded as the best one for fish data.

Water changes and filtration are not the only thing to be considered. The nature of the fish also has to be considered. Things like white clouds needing cooler water than all the other fish as they are not tropical fish; things like cories needing to be in a shoal of the same species.
I had serpae tetras once. The day after I got them, every other fish in the tank had bits missing. I didn't have them long. I am not the only person who has experienced this! They are second only to tiger barbs for a fin nipping reputation.

Offline brian c

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 10:24:04 PM »
ok well i did some thinking and thought about if i could move some of the fish around and i think that i have a good plan  :))  :)) i know that aqadvisor is not the BEST site to use but i find it is ok to use for a rough out line or sketch if you will,to know somewhat  what to expect.this is for anybody that didn't read my tanks.i have 20 gallon,10 gallon,10 gallon,5 gallon,29 gallon,and several 1 and 1.5 that i use for baby plant grow out since they are to small for the 5.
ok this is for one of my 10 gallon TANKS http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php?AquTankName=&AquListBoxTank=Choose&AquTankLength=20&AquTankDepth=10&AquTankHeight=12&AquListBoxFilter=Aqua-Tech+5-15&AquTextFilterRate=15+&AquListBoxFilter2=Choose&AquTextFilterRate2=N%2FA+&AquFilterString=&AquListBoxChooser=White+Cloud+Mountain+Minnow+%28Tanichthys+albonubes%29&AquTextBoxQuantity=6&FormSubmit=Add+%3E&AquTextBoxRemoveQuantity=&AlreadySelected=200909300134%3A3%3A%3A%2C201002031346%3A1%3A%3A&FilterMode=Display+all+species&AqTempUnit=F&AqVolUnit=gUS&AqLengthUnit=inch&AqSortType=cname&FilterQuantity=2&AqJuvMode=&AqSpeciesWindowSize=short&AqSearchMode=simple

this is for THE OTHER 10 GALLON TANK.http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php?AquTankName=&AquListBoxTank=Choose&AquTankLength=20&AquTankDepth=10&AquTankHeight=12&AquListBoxFilter=Aqua-Tech+5-15&AquTextFilterRate=15+&AquListBoxFilter2=Choose&AquTextFilterRate2=N%2FA+&AquFilterString=&AquListBoxChooser=Black+Phantom+Tetra+%28Hyphessobrycon+megalopterus%29&AquTextBoxQuantity=6&FormSubmit=Add+%3E&AquTextBoxRemoveQuantity=&AlreadySelected=200909300017%3A1%3A%3A&FilterMode=Display+all+species&AqTempUnit=C&AqVolUnit=gUS&AqLengthUnit=inch&AqSortType=cname&FilterQuantity=2&AqJuvMode=&AqSpeciesWindowSize=short&AqSearchMode=simple

this is for my 20 gallon tank i am planning to split up the cories(once i get rid of the juli cory.)(i think that i have 2 bronze cory,not an emerald and bronze.)http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php?AquTankName=&AquListBoxTank=Choose&AquTankLength=24&AquTankDepth=12&AquTankHeight=16&AquListBoxFilter=Aquaclear+150&AquTextFilterRate=30+&AquListBoxFilter2=Aquaclear+200&AquTextFilterRate2=50+&AquFilterString=&AquListBoxChooser=Bronze+Cory+%28Corydoras+aeneus%29&AquTextBoxQuantity=6&FormSubmit=Add+%3E&AquTextBoxRemoveQuantity=&AlreadySelected=200909300182%3A6%3A%3A&FilterMode=Display+all+species&AqTempUnit=F&AqVolUnit=gUS&AqLengthUnit=inch&AqSortType=cname&FilterQuantity=2&AqJuvMode=&AqSpeciesWindowSize=short&AqSearchMode=simple

so then my 29 will look like this http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php?AquTankName=&AquListBoxTank=Choose&AquTankLength=30&AquTankDepth=12&AquTankHeight=18&AquListBoxFilter=Aquaclear+300&AquTextFilterRate=70+&AquListBoxFilter2=Aqua-Tech+30-60&AquTextFilterRate2=60+&AquFilterString=&AquTextBoxQuantity=&AquTextBoxRemoveQuantity=6&FormSubmit=%3C+Remove&AquListBoxSelected=6+x+Black+Phantom+Tetra+%28Hyphessobrycon+megalopterus%29&AlreadySelected=200909300021%3A6%3A%3A%2C200911111530%3A6%3A%3A%2C200909300205%3A6%3A%3A%2C200909300029%3A1%3A%3A%2C200909300207%3A1%3A%3A%2C200912072116%3A6%3A%3A%2C200909300005%3A6%3A%3A&FilterMode=Display+only+suitable+species+for+your+tank&AqTempUnit=F&AqVolUnit=gUS&AqLengthUnit=inch&AqSortType=cname&FilterQuantity=2&AqJuvMode=&AqSpeciesWindowSize=short&AqSearchMode=simple

sorry that this is taking up so room normally it just says the name of the site and you click on it and it brings you to whatever i have copy and pasted  :-[ :-[ .

Offline brian c

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 01:04:08 AM »
and also i was looking up siamese algae eater minimum tank size and i found several places where it says they can live in a 29 gallon or smaller some of them say 30 gallons but hey,its only a gallon. here are the sites.http://www.aquariumalgaeeaters.blogspot.com/ http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+888+1086&pcatid=1086 http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/algae-control/siamese.php http://www.thekrib.com/Fish/Algae-Eaters/ http://en.microcosmaquariumexplorer.com/wiki/Siamese_Algae_Eater these sites say that they can live in my 29 gallon tank.what do yall think.

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 05:03:25 PM »
To avoid cluttering your post with long urls you can specify it like this one

This is achieved by entering it as below
Code: [Select]
[url=http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php?AquTankName=&AquListBoxTank=Choose&AquTankLength=24&AquTankDepth=12&AquTankHeight=16
&AquListBoxFilter=Aquaclear+150&AquTextFilterRate=30+&AquListBoxFilter2=Aquaclear+200&AquTextFilterRate2=50+
&AquFilterString=&AquListBoxChooser=Bronze+Cory+%28Corydoras+aeneus%29&AquTextBoxQuantity=6&FormSubmit=Add+%3E
&AquTextBoxRemoveQuantity=&AlreadySelected=200909300182%3A6%3A%3A&FilterMode=Display+all+species&AqTempUnit=F
&AqVolUnit=gUS&AqLengthUnit=inch&AqSortType=cname&FilterQuantity=2&AqJuvMode=&AqSpeciesWindowSize=short
&AqSearchMode=simple]this one[/url]
Only without the linebreaks

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 06:22:19 PM »
I am very reluctant to click on those links. Aqadvisor has been known to contain bugs, one reason that mention of its name is banned on another forum I'm a member of. That and it not being very good.

It may be safe now, but my laptop doesn't want to risk it.

Offline brian c

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 10:33:27 PM »
its ok sue i can understand your concern.and steves first off do you mean to just not skip a line when i post multiple links to that site?

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 11:39:25 PM »
Brian C I'm quite sure you know how to post proper links and I'm also fairly certain you're trolling. So stop it.

Offline brian c

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2014, 03:19:37 AM »
NO im not.dont just barge in here and say im trolling cuz that is just plain rude.i really dont know what i was doing differently that made it go so long.

Offline brian c

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2014, 03:30:47 AM »
i just realized what i was doing differently i am adding some space in between each link.i should not even hit the space bar when i add another,that way it will just show the site name.and Fiona O'Mahoney 2 things i came here to learn get help and give help not to be called a troll by someone who dosent even know that i was honestly didn't know that i was doing something differently,i even said i knew i was doing something wrong and was trying to figure it out.and also after a VERY long ban do you think that i want to even think about trolling on here? i am not trying to be rude when i said that but you need to not just accusing of someone of trolling.if you want to say something to me then pm me lets not make this public.

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2014, 01:21:50 PM »
its ok sue i can understand your concern.and steves first off do you mean to just not skip a line when i post multiple links to that site?
In order to get your long link to display without going off the edge of the screen, I had to put in linebreaks, eg between "AquTankHeight=16" and "&AquListBoxFilter". These are the ones you should skip.

I am very reluctant to click on those links. Aqadvisor has been known to contain bugs, one reason that mention of its name is banned on another forum I'm a member of. That and it not being very good.
My inclusion of this site was in no way meant as an endorsement. I don't like it either for the record.

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline brian c

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2014, 03:01:58 PM »
yeah thanks steveS with your help i finally figured out how to do it again.

Offline brian c

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2014, 06:28:51 PM »
ok susankat since you cant go on there i will just post it on here for you :).ok this is my 29 gallon tank.
6 pristella tetras
6 serpae tetras
1 blue gourami
1 siamese algae eater
6 kuhli loaches
6 albino cory

filters
aqua clear 300(70 gallon)aqua tech 40-60(40-60 gallons)

20 gallon tank
10 red eye tetras
6 bronze cories
1 honey gourami

filters
aqua clear 150(30 gallons)aqua clear 200(50 gallons)

10 gallon
3 mystery snails
1 netrite snail(i will probably get more)
multiple mts
6 white cloud minnows

filters
aqua tech 5-15(5-15 gallons)\

10 gallon
1 betta(really peaceful)
6 black phantoms.

filters
aqua tech 5-15(5-15 gallons)

Offline Sue

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2014, 07:22:59 PM »
Tank 1, 29 galls
It is stocked to the max, but do-able. The community creator on here warns that the tank isn't really big enough for the gourami and the SAE, though admittedly the SAE isn't in the fish profiles so I've substituted the siamese flying fox. Actually, what google says most people call SAE is the same latin name as the fling fox on here.
And it warns that there could be problems between a flying fox and the tetras and loaches.

Tank 2, 20 galls
Fine, though the CC and Seriously Fish reckon the red eyes need a bigger tank - SF says 28 galls and 36 inches.

Tank 3, 10 galls
Fine as long as the temp is below 72 deg F for the white clouds

Tank 4, another 10 galls.
OK. It could do with being a bit bigger for the black phantoms, and they might take a liking to the betta's fins.

Much better stocking  :)

Offline Robert

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2014, 08:00:30 PM »
Please use the software as provided.

Users are also politely reminded to observe the rules at all times. They exist to protect us all and help guide people on what is and what isn't acceptable behaviour.

I'm not going to enter in to a debate on this as life is too short as it is.

Bear in mind that users who continue to berate or upset other users through no observance of what are, fairly simple and unambiguous rules will find that they're posting abilities may be revoked.

Thanks!

Clown Barb (5) - Banded Rainbowfish (2) - Bolivian Ram (4) - Angelfish (1) - Checkered Barb (18) - African Red Eye (4) - Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (8) - Golden Panchax (1) -

Offline brian c

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2014, 10:24:14 PM »
oh Robert you were talking about that girl calling me a troll.i have calmed down a bit and let it go.so all is good as long as she lets is go to.and yes i know first hand about not being able to post.

@sue first off i just realized i called you susankat haha she is a moderator from one of my other sites LOL.ok     30 gallon. back tot he fish.when you say problems i assume you mean them getting enough food.i have thought about that already.i have a little "gold fish bowl"that i can feed the sae in and once the food falls in the bowl and he rushes over to eat it i simple grab the bowl before he can escape and let him eat in the bowl and let the others eat.simple,do you see a problem in amy of that?

20 gallon.ok i think that they can be happy in the tank.i currently have 5 red eyes i am waiting for the 5 tetras for 5 dollars to roll back around.

10 gallon.yes i am planning to use several air stones for the tank to drop a few degrees.i once tried this on the 29 gallon tank while i was planning to get a gold fish but i had a better idea a little while after that oh yeah the temp went to 72 degrees i think with all the air stones i have give me a sec......man that took a long time cuz im a boy and i shove everything g under my bad but anyway i have 4 5-15 gallon air atones.

the other 10 gallon if they do nip the betta i will do this first i will move the 6 phantoms to a 5 gallon for a week if they do it a lot after that than i will just let the betta live in the 5 gallon permanently.

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: