Author Topic: Think Fish Keepers Daily News  (Read 7696 times) 24 replies

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Think Fish Keepers Daily News
« on: January 01, 2021, 08:14:53 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I thought I'd start the new thread with a general Happy New Year to all on the forum.
Thanks for all of your help, support, and advice over the years.
Best wishes to all for 2021.  :cheers:

Good news already - I got one of the mudskippers to eat bloodworm off my finger today, so I'm a step closer to getting them to feed out of my hand.  :)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Think Fish Keepers Daily News - 2021
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 01:29:38 PM »
Great; thanks for starting up this new thread.  Happy New Year from me too.  :cheers:

Well done on taming the mudskipper, @Littlefish - and keep us posted on progress towards hand-feeding them.

I've been enjoying watching my fish - one female cardinal has taken to eating 50% of the tank's food and has now surpassed the other large female in size, while the espeis clearly need more added to their shoal as one is either parading around one half of the tank and sending all fish and especially its shoalmate to the other half or it is attempting to mate with its shoalmate.

In an uncharacteristic moment of distraction, I switched on the filter and heater while the tank was only half full. Mr FCMF carries the buckets and, when the noise of the water filling one stopped, I heard a strange creaking sound from the filter, only to discover my error. The filter itself is fine (phew). However, the heater broke in the minute at most that it must have been switched on for when only half-submerged - I tested it out in a bucket with the thermometer and, although the bottom of it is hot to touch, the light has now completely stopped working and it took an hour to go from 18'C to 19.5'C, and thus very slow progress towards the pre-set 24'C. Fortunately, I had a spare which is now in situ, and at least I got 6+ years' use out of the previous one.
:vcross:

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 08:04:35 PM »
Great news on the mudskipper - video? @Littlefish

@fcmf your story reminds me how fragile filters and heater are despite all other advances in the hobby it’s hard to believe that these issues haven’t been fixed yet - a pump that cannot be run without water (surely washing machine pumps do this?) and heating elements that can be exposed to air (toasters, panel heaters... what’s up with these?)... actually I think you can get them with such protection from running dry, but why is it needed and why isn’t the protection standard.

In other news I’m allergic to bloodworm... the reaction apparently gets worse each time... definately the case for me... haven’t been able to figure it out but now I know for pretty certain it’s the bloodworm - I’ve been having weird sneezing fits randomly in the evenings... I got some on my finger tonight (didn’t know) and scratched my nose - 20 minutes of CONSTANT sneezing and now i feel bunged up like a bad cold - last time it lasted over 36hours... I’m hoping it won’t be the same again but expecting it will probably last longer... as the reaction gets worse each time.  I’ll post a more  explicit warning on the forum later on but for now here’s some bedtime reading... https://www.reef2rainforest.com/2018/05/03/caution-bloodworm-allergies-can-sneak-up-on-you-short/

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 09:37:19 PM »
Allergic to bloodworm - unlucky @Matt
That's unpleasant and inconvenient. I'm guessing you are going to have to stop using bloodworms so that the reactions don't get worse. Is there anything else you can routinely feed your dwarf puffers?

Bad luck with your heater @fcmf
I don't think I've broken one by running it dry. I've forgotten to turn them back on more times than I care to remember, but I'm usually pretty good with turning them off. It's always handy to have a few spare pieces of kit tucked away for emergencies.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 09:56:13 PM »
I’ve delegated the task of feeding the puffers to Mrs Matt!! I’ll buy one of those  mixed frozen food thing next time where each ‘ice cube’ is something different and see what can be done... there’s nearly two whole pack to get through before then though!!

Offline fcmf

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 03:45:40 PM »
I wonder if you might be able to avoid feeding bloodworm altogether, @Matt, for example by buying brineshrimp-only packs. It doesn't seem that dwarf puffers have to be fed bloodworm - https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/how-to-keep-dwarf-puffers/   Having said that, your article does suggest a potential cross-sensitivity to other similar products, so best that Mrs Matt now has sole responsibility for feeding them - but perhaps avoiding any bloodworm in the house altogether once (or even before) those two packs are used up.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2021, 06:21:19 PM »
It's safe to say that I am not allergic to bloodworms. I can comfortably handle them without any problems or adverse reactions. Very useful when trying to make your mudskippers comfortable with hand feeding.

Note to self - when trying to encourage your mudskippers to feed from your hand essentially what you are doing is putting food on the end of your finger and presenting it to a carnivore. Don't be surprised when you feel teeth.  ::)   :rotfl:

I've had my axolotls bite my fingers several times before (poor eyesight, bless them), but they just have firm gums, so although they are large enough to latch on to the end of a finger it's just a bit of a surprise rather than actually hurting.

I've just been feeding the mudskippers. I had a blob of bloodworm & fish food mix on my finger, and could feel the teeth scrape against my finger as they took the food. My littles fellas aren't big enough to bite a finger, but I'm guessing that the larger species could do a bit of damage.  :o

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2021, 07:36:20 PM »
 :yikes:  :D

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2021, 11:07:22 AM »
When you need to move your bristlenose and he makes it easier by refusing to come out of his favourite piece of wood.  ;D

Thanks Bertie.  :cheers:

Offline fcmf

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2021, 08:17:50 PM »
Bertie is ever so cute peering out from that piece of wood, at least what I can see of him.  :cheers:

Offline fcmf

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2021, 02:49:20 PM »
I put some Poly-Filter and carbon in the filter a few weeks ago when my nerite snail wasn't well, and left it in there, hoping it might pick up any chemicals that may have been contributing to my oldest nerite not being well.  (Fortunately, he seems a lot better now.)  However, I'm almost certain that's the reason my plants have descended into the "point of no return" - it's eaten up the chemicals from the fertilisers.  I removed both Poly-Filter and carbon at the weekend but fear it may be too late.
 :'(

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2021, 06:53:34 PM »
Sorry to hear about the plants, but glad the nerite is looking better.

Offline Sue

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2021, 09:54:52 AM »
I know it's not recommended to use carbon full time with live plants for this reason, and as polyfilter also removes a lot of stuff I imagine the same applies to that too.
I've also read comments that liquid plant fertiliser should not be added on water change day as most water conditioners contain a chemical to bind metals.

I've only used polyfilter once since I got a lot of live plants and that was simply because of it's physical structure. When I added more sand to my main tank the water went cloudy and polyfilter is so dense that it cleared the water quickly. I always use carbon or polyfilter in a separate filter so it's easy for me to remember to remove it.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2021, 01:41:57 PM »
Thanks, Sue. Definitely learned a lesson the hard way, although my priority was doing all I could to save my nerite, but that's a great suggestion about using a separate filter as I do have one that hasn't any potential copper residue on it (ie not been used in the QT). I use Seachem Prime, so, for that reason, always leave 48 hours before dosing the liquid plant fertilisers.

Separately, I've been using the spray bar on the existing filter. I had tried it before but it was problematic as it displaced many of the older harlies from their "station posts", it didn't seem very secure and I was concerned that the nerites would try acrobatics off it. However, I did frequently wonder if the flow had been too strong for the elderly/ailing fish and contributed to their demise, and if the lone remaining neon green rasbora's severe scoliosis was current-induced and I could see the two espeis taking up her space and tilting at the same angle in the current, hence the decision to use the spray bar indefinitely.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2021, 09:20:24 PM »
I was already feeling ~90 years of age today for other reasons, but now I feel ~130 after this evening's experience.
Went to check the fish this evening. Tally of cardinals was only 6 rather than 7.  Counted x5 with same result, then enlisted Mr FCMF to count too, and again the same result.
Out came all of the decor. Still only 6. "No way can the missing one be behind the filter," I thought, "it's like Fort Knox with its excessive measures to prevent that - magnets holding it firmly in place against the wall and all the strips of foam carefully up the side of the filter and across the top, plus spare sponge squeezed into every available space underneath."
Off came the magnets, and the filter was slowly moved out of position, as I trembled, waiting for the dead body to float out, berating myself for fleetingly thinking earlier today that all had been relatively uncharacteristically settled among the fish inhabitants in recent months. Instead, to my total surprise and delight, out swam a very pale and disoriented-looking cardinal.
Water change was done a day early given that all the decor was out, and I'm attempting to calm down with a chamomile tea...

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2021, 09:45:37 PM »
Glad to hear that the cardinal emerged from behind the filter unscathed.
I hope that your own recovery from the ordeal doesn't take too long.
At least you got a water change done.  :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2021, 09:46:42 AM »
I'm convinced fish do these things on purpose to scare us  ::)

Offline fcmf

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2021, 04:35:38 PM »
Just as well that I have a sturdy lid on my tank.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2021, 05:13:38 PM »
 :o

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2021, 10:13:25 PM »
Went to MA to get some RO today. Normally I just get what I need and leave to avoid temptation.
As I was heading towards the water I saw a movement to my left, in the pond section, and was instantly distracted by what I saw through the window in the display pond.
I'd always enjoyed feeding the juvenile sterlets at the MA in Cambridge. I have a leaning towards weird looking fish, especially if they look funny when they feed.
I've never seen mature sterlets. This is the first MA I've been to that has had them. They are massive.  8)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Think Fish Keepers Daily News"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
49 Replies
Last post February 15, 2022, 03:11:56 PM
by Robert
1923 Replies
Last post December 30, 2019, 09:29:36 PM
by fcmf
3 Replies
Last post December 11, 2017, 08:30:35 PM
by Deleted User
0 Replies
Last post November 01, 2018, 03:40:31 PM
by Robert
0 Replies
Last post August 18, 2019, 04:10:31 PM
by Robert
168 Replies
Last post December 20, 2020, 08:43:20 PM
by Littlefish
15 Replies
Last post March 01, 2022, 06:44:56 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: