Secondhand Tank Finally Here.

Author Topic: Secondhand tank finally here.  (Read 3010 times) 5 replies

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Secondhand tank finally here.
« on: October 19, 2015, 10:59:35 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
A woman down the road asked us if we wanted her 145l tank, cabinet and contents and of course we said yes. Spent the whole of the day transferring it here as had to move furniture and fish. We took the 55l tank out of my sons room and the 145l is now in its place.

There was a 6 inch clown loach, blind in one eye, a 5-6 inch redline torpedo barb, a pair of 4-5 inch golden barbs, a lyretail molly and a rummynose tetra.

The woman said the molly had been sitting on the bottom of the tank for the last 3 days, so thats now in a quarantine tank doing exactly the same thing. Its side fins are working but not it's tail for some reason. I'm treating it but I'm not holding my breathe.

We had a big black plastic dustbin with a heater, filter and airstone set up as a holding pen for her larger fish but sadly beside our best efforts the torpedo barb didnt survive the move. She did say she'd had it for years so maybe it was near it's time.

The rummynose is in the tank in the front room and we'll get it some friends this weekend.

The inhabitants of my sons 55l tank are now in the 145l with the clown loach and the barbs are in his 55l. The problem is, after doing some swatting up, we've realised the clown loach needs friends BUT I'm not sure the tank is big enough for that. I didnt realise how big they can actually get.

Should we try and rehome it? I'm not sure MA would take a one eyed clown loach.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
Re: Secondhand tank finally here.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 11:30:22 AM »

That was a bit of luck!

Clown loaches can get huge, unfortunately, and yes they do need friends and a much bigger tank (minimum 180 x 60cm). You could try advertising it on aquarist-classifieds. People with big tanks and clown loaches do take in unwanted fish.
And the barb also needed a shoal and a bigger tank. Seriously Fish says a tank at least 120 x 45cm. (The site also gives the name as Sahyadria denisonii  rather than Puntius). Being alone would have stressed it, and as it was also old its time would have come soon even without the move.

Remind me, how hard is your tapwater? Mollies don't do well in soft water so if yours is soft, that could be the cause of its problems. If it's hard though, the cause is something else so quarantining it was a good idea.

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 01:16:55 PM »
Re the molly, occasionally, something as innocuous as constipation can cause a fish to have trouble using its tail properly and to sit on the bottom due to the internal blockage - maybe worth trying feeding it half a de-shelled pea, chopped into tiny morsels, and see if that helps, or else some live/frozen foods? 

Also, I had a pygmy cory with an injured/bent spine for some time which caused trouble for it using its tail fin - it did completely recuperate from that, although succumbed within a couple of months as did the rest of its shoal - does the molly's spine look normal?

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 02:08:23 PM »
It's spine looks fine, when we went to view the tak a few weeks back it was swimming happily around. We do have very hard water so we're ok there and we gave it a pea last  night and it ate half of it. So fingers crossed it'll work.

I'm a tad suprised to discover the clown loach was too big for the tank, she's kept fish for years, including a very large pond containing some VERY big koi carp so I assumed as she had it, it should be ok for that size tank. Apparently she originally had 6 of them. Also she's only ever fed them flaked fish food including the clown loach. It'll be in for a treat tonight then as it's bloodworm night! :)

Ohh i have to share this also, my son can sometimes be such a twit!!! He primed the external filter and it was running fine but he noticed it was leaking slightly. He was on the floor with his feet inside the cabinet with the filter between his legs. I know he must have been knackered because we'd been moving furniture and fish and buckets of water for about 7 hours by this point. I said to him when he commented on the leak that maybe an internal seal was slightly out of line. So what does he do?

Yup the twit undid the catches holding the 2 parts of the filter together!!!! :yikes: and of course 145 liters of water suddenly wanted to leave the tank via the opened filter!!!!He was stuck like the little dutch boy with his finger in the leaking dyke. Luckily I realised that if I lifted the outlet pipe out of the tank the water would stop pouring out and I kind of half dragged him out the cabinet so we could put the filter in a bucket we had to hand but honestly what an idiot!!! ::) I had to laugh

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 04:14:18 PM »
lol. Lucky you were there or he'd have been stuck with his finger in the pipe waiting for you to return.  :rotfl:

I'm so jealous of the fact you have sooooo many tanks.  :D

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 07:25:01 PM »
It wouldn't have been so bad if he'd just disconnected a pipe, he actually opened the top of the external filter.

and I have to confess I've decided 3 are more than enough, now I'm at college I dont have the time for all the maintenance needed. My local MA very kindly took all my endlers and guppies off my hands, one of the guys that works there selected some of them to use for his breeding project. He's promised to keep me updated.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Secondhand tank finally here."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
0 Replies
Last post December 11, 2012, 06:26:01 PM
by maz1
8 Replies
Last post April 07, 2014, 05:40:47 PM
by Christine Snape
31 Replies
Last post December 22, 2014, 10:11:22 AM
by AndreaC
18 Replies
Last post March 07, 2015, 06:07:04 PM
by Aquamaid
4 Replies
Last post June 10, 2015, 02:33:21 PM
by Sanjo
8 Replies
Last post December 02, 2016, 05:54:18 PM
by Matt
12 Replies
Last post March 15, 2018, 09:48:16 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: