Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
Return to the hobby
« on: January 11, 2020, 03:51:41 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 2
Hi everyone,

It is a belated post but the time has come to give something back to the community and begin my journey back to the hobby. Let me bring you up to speed:

When I joined back in the summer, it was my birthday and my mother had kindly purchased me a nice 60ltr aquarium,  it was the ignition I needed to get back into the hobby. Unfortunately I had to put my return on the back burner as we moved to our first home which was good in a way for the tank but it delayed everything somewhat. As it is a hobby I do work full time and as life does it takes over etc and now we’re in 2020 I’ve finally got some time to make a start so not only is this a bit of background it is also an update (albeit a small one).

As you can see (hopefully) in the picture below is what will be my tank stand! Now it’s not a traditional stand it’s simply jut an oak effect sideboard which includes a shelf and drawers to store all the equipment etc and it matches the other units in the lounge so keeps the Mrs happy  :rotfl:. Currently I am in the process of levelling it off so that it sits as level as possible.

I think that will do for now so enjoy the read and I will post a new update soon where I will talk about the tank set up etc.

Happy Fishkeeping  :)
Simon

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Pygmy Cory (6) - Sparkling Gourami (1) - Ember Tetra (10) - Marbled Hatchetfish (6) - Cardinal Tetra (12) - Sterbas Cory (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
Re: Return to the hobby
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 08:12:03 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
The tank has come with a lid with plenty of access without taking it off and it has a plastic open surround the glass sits on and the glass is not in contact with the top of the unit if that makes sense?

Funny you should mention SWMBO  :rotfl: I have a second tank in the shed which I’ve saved from the trash and I KNOW I want another specific tank but baby steps first  ;) 

Thanks for your comments fishtales  :cheers:

Pygmy Cory (6) - Sparkling Gourami (1) - Ember Tetra (10) - Marbled Hatchetfish (6) - Cardinal Tetra (12) - Sterbas Cory (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 09:32:50 PM »
Nice cabinet, and very solid. Will be perfect for your tank.

Best of luck with getting your tank up and running this year.
I have also moved recently, and know that a lot of tank stuff ends up being put on hold until everything is settled.
I'm looking forward to getting all my tanks correctly replanted again, increasing my current shoal numbers, and getting everyone completely settled after the chaos of the past few months.
I look forward to hearing how you get on with your tank(s) too.  ;D

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 10:03:53 PM »
Nice cabinet, and very solid. Will be perfect for your tank.

Best of luck with getting your tank up and running this year.
I have also moved recently, and know that a lot of tank stuff ends up being put on hold until everything is settled.
I'm looking forward to getting all my tanks correctly replanted again, increasing my current shoal numbers, and getting everyone completely settled after the chaos of the past few months.
I look forward to hearing how you get on with your tank(s) too.  ;D

Thanks  :) it is a solid bit of kit, the amount of stability in a flat pack is something to be desired in other units. I’m looking forward to getting my hands dirty now I’ve settled in!! It doesn’t pay to rush but I’m ready now (I think)  ;D Edit: MTS has definitely set in and I’ve not added water yet, it’s definitely a condition I want to keep!

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 10:42:06 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Hi @LeakysLab

It looks rock solid.

Just a little observation. Make sure that, when the tank is in place, you have easy access to the left-hand side and the rear of your setup. I have a similar arrangement with one of my tanks. That's what reminded me.

I look forward to hearing about further developments.

It's good to have you here at TF.

JPC  :)

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 10:59:23 PM »
Hi @LeakysLab

It looks rock solid.

Just a little observation. Make sure that, when the tank is in place, you have easy access to the left-hand side and the rear of your setup. I have a similar arrangement with one of my tanks. That's what reminded me.

I look forward to hearing about further developments.

It's good to have you here at TF.

JPC  :)

Thanks JPC, I appreciate the support! Yes I will be able to access the aquarium from all angles   :)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 12:20:33 AM »
Looks great.  :cheers: 
The cabinet that my fishtank is on came with a glass tabletop - it's a godsend for all those drips, setting nets and decor on, etc, and might be worth getting a bespoke one made for the size of the top of the solid cabinet if that's at all feasible for you.

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 10:25:34 AM »
Looks great.  :cheers: 
The cabinet that my fishtank is on came with a glass tabletop - it's a godsend for all those drips, setting nets and decor on, etc, and might be worth getting a bespoke one made for the size of the top of the solid cabinet if that's at all feasible for you.

Thanks fcmf I’m pleased with it. It has been in discussion with my wife on how to protect it or how to pro long the tops life, Thanks for the idea I never thought of glass .  :cheers:

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 08:23:44 PM »
Definately a good idea. I can speak from experience here having ruined a very similar looking cabinet with a similar sounding tank. This was despite me doing my best in attempting to not let any drips get near the wood...

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2020, 11:04:46 AM »
Good morning everyone and happy Sunday  :)
before I give a full update (which if I get time will be later today) I have conducted my first water test from the aquarium. The results are as follows:

Temp 25oC
Ph 6.6-6.8
Ammonia 1 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 5 ppm
Phospate 0.25 ppm

all comments are welcome but as I said it was the first time I ever done it and I learn by doing!
Edit additional information: test kit was API Master and API Phosphate kit.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2020, 12:11:56 PM »
Hi @LeakysLab

I assume you are using tap water. Did you use a tap water conditioner? If so, which? See the recent posts on this very topic. Apart from water, what else do you have in your tank?

JPC

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2020, 05:44:20 PM »
Good Evening all,

Here is a long awaited update on my return to the hobby. Earlier @jaypeecee you asked what was in the tank so I’ve attached picture that will help.

Starting from the bottom the soil is TMC Nutrasoil in Black, I purchased 5L but I needed at least 9 but I didn’t realise this till I was ready to plant. I have a piece of slate that I used to take the eye of the massive filter box. There is a small piece of slate attached to Azalea Root which in turn holds the plants that are glued to it. Unfortunately I cannot read the lady’s handwriting to list the plants in question but what I think I can read is 1 Octopus, 2 Hypo, 2 Anubias nana, 1 paniflow and 2 lefferi. I made the mistake of not writing it down, when I got back to the LFS I’ll get it re written for me. I perhaps need some more soil or to just move it around to cover some bald areas as I did have a play around with the scape (if you can call it that as I’m not very artistic) before I took the photo. I retro fitted a recommended Aquael LED 10W Plant light to replace my T5 bulb which is better for planted set ups, it was a bit of a task but it’s in and secured and I’m happy with the fit so far, I guess only the plants will tell more. 

(@jaypeecee to answer your question) The tap water was treated with API Stress Coat + again this was recommended by my LFS so I’ve put my trust in them for now which is obviously hot topic at the moment regarding chemicals etc and I’m not proficient enough yet to make any decision against my LFS. I was also given API quick start for the filtration bacteria, again I’m just following their lead for now. Staying with API I was given CO2 booster and Leaf Zone.

I noticed the soil cleared quite quickly which was pleasing and unfortunately I noticed my first issue, obviously this was a gift from my mum and I used the pre supplied heater which was rated at 50W, me being the novice I am noted that the starting water temp was 10oC and it didn’t improve much over night and did some checking to learn (with another post from @Sue thank you) that I probably needed 75W Heater and again too late to do anything so I installed my backup/spare/QT heater which is also 50W this morning and it has now stabilised at 27oC. Ideally I know I need 25-30oC for the bacteria process, I was aiming for 28oC.

So that’s about it, on my next visit to my LFS I need some more soil and a 75W heater. Sorry I’ve rambled a bit but I wanted to give a full bodied update. Any comments welcome or PM if you want I’m on here most days. Enjoy the Read and I’ll update each day on water test parameters here.

Simon  :cheers:

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2020, 06:22:42 PM »
photo here, issues with Apple products/apps again.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2020, 08:52:22 PM »
It looks great.  ;D

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2020, 09:41:13 PM »
Hi @LeakysLab

Are you planning to add fish to your tank? Did the staff at your LFS advise you about the (possible) need to 'cycle' your tank? When setting up a tank for the first time, there is a sequence of stages to follow. Otherwise, it can get unnecessarily complicated.

JPC

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2020, 06:34:21 AM »
Yes I am, I have been a aware of the cycling process since becoming a member here and have been reading the topics regarding the process. The LFS didn’t advise me on it however I’m unsure wether this was an oversight or wether I gave the impression I had no intention of buying livestock at that visit and the items I purchased was to “set up” the tank in the first instance.

Offline Sue

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2020, 11:52:07 AM »
It wouldn't have been an oversight - LFS in general don't believe in cycling. Either they are old school and recommend a "few hardy fish" to start the tank off (ie fish-in cycling) or they will sell you a bottled bacteria product and quite probably also tell you can go home with a tankful of fish at the same time. I was in a shop a few years ago where they told a customer that if they didn't fully stock the tank at the same time as adding the bacteria, it wouldn't work. I was very sceptical of this claim so when I got home I searched the product and it said to add the bacteria and a few fish, then stock slowly. This is an example of why we always say never believe a fish shop.

The safest way is to add the bacteria and do a fishless cycle - if the bacteria work the cycle will finish very quickly.
Or for those who intend a heavily planted tank, set up the tank and plants, wait till the plants are growing then add fish a few at a time, checking ammonia and nitrite for several days after each addition to make sure the plants are taking up all the ammonia.

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2020, 12:41:56 PM »
I must admit I am a trial and error person where I earn by doing. Luckily I have enough knowledge that I wouldn’t of followed that sort of advice even if it was given to me. I made myself clear when I was in the LFS that I wanted what was on my list. However I couldn’t get the bottle of bacteria I wanted, so opted for the one recommend, only time will tell me if it works.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2020, 03:49:52 PM »
I must admit I am a trial and error person where I earn by doing.

Hi @LeakysLab

It will save you a lot of hassle to do a bit of reading on what is required when first setting up a tank. And thereafter.

There's a bit of stuff on:

https://www.thegoldfishbowl.co.uk/fish/fish-clinic/new-tank-syndrome

And here:

http://injaf.org

And again:

https://fishlady.co.uk

It's not very nice watching your fish when they get unwell and the fish don't like it either!

We all want you to be successful. It's when people run into difficulties that they decide to abandon fishkeeping as a hobby. Let's try to avoid that.

JPC

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2020, 06:12:41 PM »
Thanks @jaypeecee thanks for the links i'll take a look. I appreciate the kind words and I'm appreciative of all the help and support you and the others give me. unfortunately I am not going to give this up again, so you're all stuck with me  :rotfl:

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Return to the hobby"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
7 Replies
Last post May 08, 2015, 08:33:20 PM
by Robert
151 Replies
Last post July 28, 2016, 10:38:47 PM
by Trish
7 Replies
Last post February 28, 2016, 06:17:43 PM
by Richard W
22 Replies
Last post September 15, 2017, 08:09:21 PM
by MarquisMirage
4 Replies
Last post November 25, 2019, 05:38:10 PM
by Robert
1 Replies
Last post May 10, 2020, 09:57:18 PM
by jaypeecee
10 Replies
Last post January 16, 2021, 01:11:41 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: