Think Fish Keepers Daily News [year 2020]

Author Topic: Think Fish Keepers Daily News [year 2020]  (Read 15234 times) 168 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Think Fish Keepers Daily News [year 2020]
« on: March 03, 2020, 03:12:11 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
[Had been thinking a while back that the original Think Fish Keepers Daily News thread was fit to burst at 193 pages of posts, so have split the topic and started this as a new thread denoting the year. Moderator FCMF. C:-) Sue's post below is the first in this new thread.]

Yesterday I did a water change on the main tank. I took the filter off the bracket to clean that too, only the bracket came away with the filter. Yes, the suckers were rigid rather than flexible. So I tossed the bracket in the bucket, filled it up with water and took it outside where I tried to get the suckers off. They were stuck tight. Luckily I have a spare bracket so I put new suckers on that and finished emptying the tank. But before refilling I used a stanley knife to cut the suckers off. The first one went fine - sliced the flat part off, then cut the neck away from the bracket. The second didn't go as well. Instead of slicing the flat part off, the blade slipped, cut half the flat part off then embedded itself in the pad of my left index finger. One temporary dressing later, my husband had to help me refill the tank. I went to the chemist this morning to buy a dressing more suited to the end of a finger, she looked at it and told me to go to urgent care because it was so deep. I only waited 25 minutes, I've waited longer at an appointment with the GP. My finger is now dressed with suture strips and a bulky dressing and I'm on a course of antibiotics. If I'd gone yesterday they could have glued it together but today they had to leave ventilation holes.
Apparently I'm the first woman they've had with a stanley knife injury. Men yes, lots of them, but no woman till today.

The moral of the tale is - leave using a stanley knife till after you've refilled the tank, then go to A & E/urgent care straight away.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Think Fish Keepers Daily News [year 2020]
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 04:20:29 PM »
I've found the local Minor Injuries Unit very good in the past too - thorough, good care, kind staff. Glad you've been treated appropriately. What an accoloade re the first woman being treated for such an injury - who'd have thought?!  :D

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 06:56:16 PM »
Congratulations on your "first woman" title Sue.
I hope that your finger heals quickly & neatly.

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 08:25:50 PM »
I had not realised just how tricky it is eating a meal when you can't use your index finger with a fork. I've got chasseur stains on the new dressing  ;D

I should have cleaned the betta's tank today, for some reason hair algae has appeared in that tank and I need two hands to pull it all out.
I have wondered - the algae appeared soon after I removed the cherry shrimps to rescue them from the attentions of the betta. Do cherry shrimps keep hair algae under control (the stuff with long stands)?

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 03:08:03 PM »
I managed to clean the betta's tank this morning, with a bit of help. I used a large size Aldi freezer bag secured round my wrist with sellotape which kept the dressing dry. And my husband held the 'colander' (yogurt pot with pots of holes) while I poured the new water through it. I couldn't use the same freezer bag as I'd never hear the end of it if I touched the tap and kettle with fish tank water.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2020, 01:41:58 PM »
Earlier this week, I noticed my laid-back, fussy-eating cardinal tetras get uncharacteristically over-excited by a fruit fly outside the tank. I've always had reservations about frozen food - https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/fish-food-and-feeding/shell-less-brine-shrimp-eggs/msg46332/#msg46332 - but felt it was perhaps time to let the cardinals have a try of some, and now that their mouths are a little bigger. The Superfish Tropical Mix that I bought this morning seemed to go down well, if not a little perturbing when it looked as though one of the two females was going to choke on a large piece of bloodworm.

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2020, 02:06:30 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
When I feed bloodworm, I feed half a cube and put the other half back in the freezer. With the half I use, I then slice thin slivers off about half of it before thawing and putting it all in the tank. This means that about half of what goes in the tank is large pieces of blood worm and the other half is small bits of blood worm for the small fish.

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2020, 06:19:57 PM »
Hey guys, long time no speak eh! With uni and everything cancelled, I may as well rescape and restock my shrimp tank. I have bolstered the Ember Tetras up to 9, shrimp to 30+ and got 2 Pygmy Corys. I would have gotten 6 if the store had any more and they wont get any for a whole due to COVID-19. Hope you are all well and expect pics later! :))

Offline fcmf

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2020, 07:12:36 PM »
Good to hear from you, @apache6467 - sounds like lots has been happening ie you're off to uni now (where and what subject?) and have got new fish. Sounds good!
 :cheers: :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1:

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2020, 07:46:43 PM »
Good to hear from you, @apache6467 - sounds like lots has been happening ie you're off to uni now (where and what subject?) and have got new fish. Sounds good!
 :cheers: :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1:

Hey Fcmf! A lot has been happening, managed to get into Aberystwyth University to study (you're gonna love this) Marine and Freshwater Biology! Had to come home early due to COVID-19 but oh well! Yeah had a few new fish over the past few days to keep my local shop alive (£52.25 today  :yikes: ) and got 2 tanks going strong. Hope you are doing well!

Offline fcmf

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2020, 07:57:42 PM »
Congrats! I did wonder / had hoped you might have gone to study a subject like that. Great! 
The new fish will be lovely for you to enjoy while we're in this situation for the next while. Ember tetras were next in my own stocking plans but, for various reasons, that plan is on hold. I currently have 2 tanks on the go - the main tank and a care home tank for elderly fish who need a gentler water flow from the filter and therefore some relative peace and quiet at this stage in their lives.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2020, 06:13:51 PM »
 :cheers: @apache6467
Great to hear about your uni course - very appropriate.  ;D

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2020, 08:16:13 PM »
Hi @apache6467

Good to 'meet' you. I will know who to go to now when I have questions about freshwater biology. Excellent!

JPC  :wave:

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2020, 09:04:47 PM »
Hi @apache6467

Indeed to think how much I’ve spent on fish over the years... £25 on one fish was my max though and probably never again... there are fish which cost a lot more than that out there!!

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2020, 04:48:51 PM »
Hello to you all  :D Glad to hear you are all doing well! All the new fish are settled and feeding, although I definitely need to get some more pygmies as the 2 I currently have is definitely too few, although they are often swimming all over the tank without a care at the moment  ;D

Offline fcmf

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2020, 07:44:45 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 2
Social distancing is not required among tank inhabitants.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2020, 03:09:19 AM »
Given these unusual times, I have taken the opportunity to write a bit to do list and there are a few things on there from a fishkeeping perspective... cutting my own hair was also on the list and this was a disaster so fingers crossed for more success with the things I’m more experienced with!!!

So I cleaned out the pond filter yesterday. It always surprises me how much mulm collects in the bottom of it which is suspect is explainable by leaves which enter and decompose in the pond among the other usual things. I have an oase filter which has a sponge you can squeeze with a little handle on the outside of the unit without opening it which I had been keeping reasonably on top of - diverting the dirty water onto the garden and allowing the pond to refill naturally in the rain. With the dry spell we’ve been having it needed a bit of water adding this time. It was the crud in the bottom of the canister though which was more surprising... it’s quite well designed in that it can collect there without impacting things too much but I suspect this is a job I need to do more frequently - opening the lid and siphoning it out... eugh there was a lot of it, though it was not particularly smelly or anything, and hopefully the grass appreciates it! There is lots of frogspawn and frog activity at present so I was uncomfortable doing much more in the way of maintenance at this point.

There is a mouse which lives in our garden, regularly going from near the pond across to our shed in search of anything edible (including seeds) and bedding (including the car washing sponge). It has been hard at work digging an extension and some of the builders rubble that resulted has slipped down the slope towards the pond so I will target that for removal once the system has topped up a bit in the next rainfall.

The weather has been so nice recently we’ve taken full advantage and sat out to eat with our 9 month old (significantly less floor cleaning required!!) and have been looking after the garden which is springing into life now and looking great. We’ve been running the waterfall on the pond too which has been lovely.

It’s time to do the canister filter on the community tank soon too and I have a bit of an ich to do a bit of a rescape, not sure if this will come to fruition but will keep you posted of course if it does...

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2020, 08:05:23 PM »
I also managed to get out into the garden for an hour this weekend, just to do a bit of weeding & have a look at the containers that relocated with me.
Apart from that, work is so busy that it's as much as I can do in the evenings to sit on the sofa and wonder why I don't have the energy for anything else.  ::)

Offline fcmf

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2020, 05:29:15 PM »
The heater bracket, taken out for a clean. Clearly a favourite spot for my snails!

Offline Sue

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2020, 06:42:00 PM »
They get everywhere  :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Think Fish Keepers Daily News [year 2020]"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
49 Replies
Last post February 15, 2022, 03:11:56 PM
by Robert
1923 Replies
Last post December 30, 2019, 09:29:36 PM
by fcmf
0 Replies
Last post November 01, 2018, 03:40:31 PM
by Robert
0 Replies
Last post January 09, 2019, 08:58:47 AM
by Robert
0 Replies
Last post August 18, 2019, 04:10:31 PM
by Robert
24 Replies
Last post December 20, 2021, 04:07:14 PM
by fcmf
15 Replies
Last post March 01, 2022, 06:44:56 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: