Author Topic: Cardinal tetra - a few odd features  (Read 4100 times) 36 replies

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Cardinal tetra - a few odd features
« on: May 27, 2020, 08:58:43 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
THIS POST WAS ORIGINALLY IN 'THINK FISH DAILY NEWS' BUT MOVED HERE INTO A NEW THREAD INSTEAD
fcmf  C:-)

and I'm fairly sure I know who'll be next to go - a rather large female who is eating herself obese and breathes heavily a lot of the time (I've also read of others finding this with cardinals), as well as a couple of other changes I've noticed which may or may not be of any concern.
Hmmm - I have a feeling this may be sooner rather than later. The other changes I'd noticed in this particular fish in recent months were her gills becoming slightly dappled rather than completely red (although not particularly concerning me), an internal lump under her chin (I actually wondered if she'd ingested some sand and it's been stuck in her throat) but this is developing into a sort-of double-chin/jowl in recent days, and the part over her spine and dorsal fin becoming more transparent when viewed from above. I wasn't entirely sure if the latter was just what happens as cardinals mature and become larger so that the blue stripes become more on their sides rather than almost meeting at the top. Anyway, there's a further development today - she's spending a lot of time nestled in one of the silk plants albeit not sitting in it... but I have an inkling this isn't looking too good.  Given that the first tetra didn't react at all well to Epsom salts, eSHa 2000 and/or being isolated, I'm not going to remove her, and I'm not entirely sure what I'm dealing with, but I don't think it bodes well.  Photo attached of her earlier on.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
Re: Re: Think Fish Keepers Daily News [year 2020]
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 09:20:25 PM »
I don't have any personal experience with these fish.so I can't really comment. You know your fish best @fcmf  and it doesn't sound as if she's particularly distressed.
That lump on her throat does look quite strange, doesn't it. I've not seen anything like that before.
Perhaps the others will have some suggestions.

Offline fcmf

Re: Cardinal tetra - a few odd features
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 10:50:26 PM »
Thanks, LF.

I checked in the main tank 30 minutes after 'lights off' - 3 fully-coloured cardinal tetras, 2 washed-out.
The 2 washed-out are the fish referred to above plus a small male.  I had noticed that, over the past week or two, the small male was breathing faster than the others intermittently - but not as frequently as the obese female (the obesity is only evident when she's face on or at an angle, not in the photo).  This week was when I noticed the part over the spine and dorsal fin becoming transparent when viewed from above (this can be partly seen in the photo) - in both the female and this male.  However, I assumed this was as per my thoughts above.  However, the fact that both are washed-out after 'lights off' suggests something's up with these two.
Water quality is as per usual (0,0,20) on the test kits (although currently no test strips against which to cross-check my nitrate which is always difficult to read).
Having had a little search online, there seems to be one condition that some of these symptoms are consistent with, albeit that particular condition does mention other earlier/key symptoms that are more likely to occur and that I'm not noticing - yet.  Interested to know others' thoughts, particularly from the photo. 
Mr FCMF won't be best pleased if the isolation tank has to come out yet again...

Tomorrow I'll give an update on my tank, as I'd really like to figure out if there's anything in my fish husbandry that's accounting for this.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 03:05:53 PM »
Hmmm - undertaking test readings in natural daylight as opposed to artificial light, and with another pair of eyes to doublecheck, it looks as though there may be a trace of nitrite, and nitrates are actually more-or-less zero.  Presumably there must have been a trace of ammonia since the last water change at the weekend, followed by this nitrite.  Despite trying to reduce my water changes to 25% as advised by PFK, I've still been finding myself doing 50% every 5-7 days by the time I've thoroughly vacuumed up all the snail poo.  The only factors I can think of to account for this trace of nitrite are the decomposing plant leaves - rather than plucking them off before they're fully dead, I've been disciplining myself to leave them until they fall off naturally.  I remove any dead leaves or any morsels/fungused food as/when I see them, usually several times a day.  Either this or the deeper (now 1" rather than ~1cm) substrate causing much more debris when disturbed seem to be the only explanations I can think of.  Filter maintenance is done fortnightly.

Water change now done and all back as it ought to be.

I don't think this can wholly account for what I've described, though, as most of the large tetra's 'features' have been there since well before the last water change, and the water quality readings are almost always taken in daylight.  I know the fish probably don't like my tank tinkerings, and the tank being stripped bare for water changes albeit it's the most effective and efficient way of vacuuming the substrate  - and they seem happy enough to move en masse to whatever end of the tank I'm not working on without seeming perturbed.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 05:48:32 PM »
Pleased to report that the paler/transparent/washed-out colouring over the spine and dorsal fin area is no longer evident during the daytime, either with lights out or with lights on. The faster breathing or opening/shutting of mouths is less than it was - more what I'd describe as within normal range. I had begun to wonder if it was neon tetra disease, albeit I would have expected patches of discolouration rather than the whole area transparent. Not sure about night-time - the large female was still looking a bit washed-out nestled in the silk plant last night but will see how the situation is tonight after a day of looking better.

This has given me quite a jolt, just how easily nitrite crept up to 0.25 and the consequences (and that there must have been ammonia presence since the last water change 4-5 days beforehand). Needless to say, I've now sent off for more test strips so that I can cross-check nitrite and nitrate against those, and will make sure I do readings in natural daylight in future and Mr FCMF's eyes' interpretation too. As a precaution, I've also sent off for an Ammonia Alert reader. Thankfully, JPC had mentioned ITS Europe test strips and the Ammonia Alert reader and where to find it cheaply, so have opted for those - thanks, @jaypeecee .

Nitrite back up to 0.25, so another large water change planned for today.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 10:20:32 PM »
Hi @fcmf

I am now following this thread with interest. It does certainly look as though your tank experienced an ammonia spike, doesn't it? I think you'll find the Ammonia Alert to be a godsend. It's really worth reading about it here:

https://www.seachem.com/ammonia-alert.php

But, I cannot recommend the pH Alert - unfortunately, in my tanks, this gave inaccurate readings. I know you weren't considering this but just thought I'd mention it.

I'll be back tomorrow, all being well.

JPC

Offline fcmf

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 01:09:26 PM »
0.25 nitrite again today, so another water change undertaken.

Potential explanations [and likelihood of it accounting for the problem]:
* tropical mix frozen food fed on Mon: to get rid of any nasties, I rinse it beforehand with half a kettle of boiling water followed by thorough rinsing in cold water, and there was less food than usual as I’d inadvertently used the larger net during rinsing and lost a lot through that; [unlikely];
* limnophila sessiliflora had been very thick and long: although I separate the strands most days to release any fish food caught in it and rotate the strands a couple of times a week to remove/reduce algae (usually brown although looks more black on removal), I had a bit of a poke 7-10 days ago near the base with the aquascaping tweezers to remove any clogging the roots, and unfortunately caused most of the stems to break – they seemed weak and almost melting, held together by the brown algae; I left the long green but root-less stems in tank as floating plants, removing only those that looked dead; [possible];
* JBL Atvitol started daily on Mon as fish food been open for a while and to keep it vitamin-rich (had been using it intermittently prior to that); [unlikely - doubt the product would sell if it affected water quality;]
* as per photo, I’ve been tucking extra filter media into each of the slots by the filter intakes, more-or-less from the start of getting this filter over two years ago; recently, though, I’d put portions of thick/coarse phosphate pads in there. Although this had never been a problem with the filter sponge/wool, I wonder if the thick phosphate pads were impairing the flow of water and causing beneficial bacteria in filter to die but NB it wasn’t impairing filter outflow – cf https:///www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO9gWa_G8L0. [most plausible explanation so far, and @jaypeecee may have a view on this given that he has had this brand/model of filter before].
Views welcome, including if anything from my previous comments may suggest anything.
For definite, I haven’t forgotten to add Seachem Prime – very particular about keeping alert during water changes and ensuring that it’s added.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2020, 05:27:53 PM »
Hi @fcmf

Firstly, JBL Atvitol. I can confirm that this would not be responsible for the nitrite. I did a little test by adding 1 drop of Atvitol to approx. 200 ml of rainwater. Using the ITS Nitrite + Nitrate Test Strips, nitrite was 0 ppm. Now for the phosphate pads. Are they new(ish)? Firstly, why are you using them? Do you have high phosphate? Have you measured this? Nitrifying bacteria need phosphate to the tune of 0.2 mg/l (ppm) minimum. But, you don't want it exceeding 0.5 mg/l otherwise algae may start to appear. Next up is oxygen. Partially blocking the filter intakes may reduce oxygen required by the nitrifying bacteria. But, I presume that your ammonia reading was OK?

That'll do for now.

JPC

Offline fcmf

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2020, 06:23:35 PM »
Thanks.
Good re the JBL Atvitol.
Phosphate pads pack says replace monthly. I didn't make a note of when I last replaced them but it's possible they could be up to 2 months old. I use them because my phosphates are 5 on the API test kit for both tapwater and tankwater (orthophosphates are added to water by supplier). I notice that they're closer to 2 now, having had the phosphate pads in. Algae in the tank itself has never been bad at all - nerite snails may be addressing any - but plants do get some sort of brown algae, sometimes like diatoms (possibly high silicates) and sometimes more stringy and sometimes fluffy, and the anubias gets a little BBA.
Ammonia reading was absolutely fine - but I can't be certain what happened during the 4-5 days between the last water change and when I detected the nitrite presence.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2020, 06:56:30 AM »
Oh no! Just got up, went in to check up on fish, and the cardinal in the photo which I had been referring to was lying upside down under the filter, dead. She had looked so much improved too. Gutted.

Edited to add: Yesterday evening, started an experiment of removing pieces of decor and leaving in separate container of tank water overnight to test for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate. Without having yet tested it, just wondered now whether the 5.5-year-old wood might be the potential culprit of the nitrite presence - any thoughts?

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2020, 09:42:58 AM »
Sorry for your loss @fcmf

Offline fcmf

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2020, 01:20:55 PM »
Thanks, LF.

I forgot I'd a bottle of Tetra Safestart, so have added that to the filter.

Trying to get to the root of the impaired water quality (nitrite), though. As previously indicated, I plan to take a piece of decor out each evening, leave in small amount of tankwater, then test its water .v. a similar amount of tankwater in the morning for ammonia/nitrite/nitrates.
Tank décor:
*some catappa leaves (large ones disintegrate after a fortnight and are removed; smaller ones last much longer) – smaller one tested and not guilty despite its age (water was ever-so-slightly higher nitrite, so discarded that leaf);
* 2 pieces of wood (one 5.5 years old, other not quite as old but need to check to confirm - one nerite in particular works on these and I give them a brush with the fishkeeping toothbrush once per week);
* moss balls (fairly new, squeezed and debris removed from surface by hand once per week);
* terracotta rings (come with LFS plants);
* terracotta pots (had for 2 years, bought from garden centre but not fishkeeping section);
* pebbles bought in LFS;
* bamboo nerite snail feeding dish (nerite snails have just started to gnaw the dish itself as they do with wood);
* cave/hide bought from reputable aquascaping brand.
Any thoughts on order of likely contenders – the wood, given its age?

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2020, 01:33:05 PM »
Oh dear, @fcmf

I'm sorry to hear the latest news about your Cardinal Tetra.  :(

My hunch (and that's all it is) is that this nitrite problem is not likely to have been caused by the wood. May I ask what is the nitrite reading straight from the tap and after treatment with Prime? Water companies need to ensure that the maximum nitrite is 0.5 mg/l. And, FWIW, my figures for 2019 were 0.01/0.01/0.01 mg/l (max/mean/min, respectively). Throughout the year, there were just 8 samples taken. I find it difficult to accept that the max/mean/min were all the same value in my case. Do you have figures from your water company, whoever that may be?

JPC

Offline fcmf

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2020, 02:49:47 PM »
Thanks, JPC.

Nitrite reading from tap water and following Prime treatment is also 0.25 - hmmm.  (Incidentally, Mr FCMF sees it as 0.25; I see it as slightly lighter but definitely closer to 0.25 than 0.) According to the water company, 77 samples were taken in the past year at <0.01, 0.01 and 0.02 (min/mean/max).

Interestingly/incidentally, the ammonia reading straight from the tap is usually 0.2-0.4 which I attribute to the chloramine. I've just done it today and it's somehwere midway between <0.05 and 0.1, with Prime reading being <0.05.

I was about to e-mail the water company but firstly will e-mail the fishkeeping neighbour from upstairs and see if he's also finding this result in his tap water tests.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2020, 04:00:54 PM »
Hi @fcmf

OK, interesting figures thus far. Please keep us updated. In between watching the NASA activities, I managed to find some real fish toxicity figures for nitrite. There is some dependence on chloride in the water but I determined that the maximum permissible nitrite level is around 0.05 mg/l (ppm).

JPC

Offline fcmf

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2020, 07:25:40 PM »
I'm afraid I haven't been able to get a second opinion on the nitrite testing result. I plan to e-mail the water supplier, though, to find out if something has been happening lately that might account for the presence of nitrite.

I managed to find some real fish toxicity figures for nitrite. There is some dependence on chloride in the water but I determined that the maximum permissible nitrite level is around 0.05 mg/l (ppm).
Have I interpreted this correctly that, although both your and my water companies state that 0.5 mg/l is the maximum permissable nitrite level, any level around 0.05 mg/l (ie ten-fold lower than that) is actually toxic?

I'm a bit concerned about the little male. He's always been the 'runt' of the pack - was very skittish and went very pale on a few occasions in the QT at the beginning and during water changes at the outset in the main tank. He's always had a slightly darker patch in his chest area - the red has a section that looks ink blue when viewed from an angle. However, I thought he'd been blossoming in recent months and competing well with the others for food, etc. Looking at him this and last week, he's been a little different - breathing a little faster than the others intermittently but not as frequently as the female who died overnight, and the transparency over the spine and dorsal fin visible from certain angles this week. I thought both were looking a bit better the past couple of days but, being extra vigilant after last night's fatality, I can see it's definitely still there. Mr FCMF is useful in these circumstances as he would never really notice anything but when I asked him if he noticed any of the cardinals looking different to the others, he was able to pick him out immediately and describe it similarly. https:///youtu.be/4bex5KXidOs - he's the one at the bottom left at the outset. I don't have a good feeling about this... but, equally, on the basis of previous experience with the first cardinal tetra, don't think the stress of isolation +/- eSHa 2000 is the wisest option (esp as whatever's wrong isn't clearcut).

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2020, 07:27:16 AM »

I managed to find some real fish toxicity figures for nitrite. There is some dependence on chloride in the water but I determined that the maximum permissible nitrite level is around 0.05 mg/l (ppm).

Have I interpreted this correctly that, although both your and my water companies state that 0.5 mg/l is the maximum permissable nitrite level, any level around 0.05 mg/l (ie ten-fold lower than that) is actually toxic?

Hi @fcmf

Yes, your understanding of what I have reported is, indeed, correct. We have to remember that the maximum limit or PCV* is the figure that applies to we humans, not fish or other tank inhabitants.

I know this will be of no immediate help but have you considered using re-mineralized rainwater in your tanks? Or, mixing rainwater with your tap water? You do seem to have a few problems with the latter.

JPC

* Prescribed Concentration or Value

Offline fcmf

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2020, 02:01:30 PM »
Thanks - very helpful, JPC.

I've not considered RO water for various reasons. Both it and rainwater collection would be problematic for reasons I probably don't need to go into because the picture has possibly changed as follows...

ITS test strips for nitrate and nitrite arrived today.  JBL liquid-based nitrate test kit has also arrived.

Nitrite (mg/l; ppm):
Both tap water and tank water have 0, according to ITS – definitely not as pink as 0.15.  Waterlife (which I've always used) liquid-based kit still thinks it's 0.25 for both, although Mr FCMF sees it as that whereas I see it somewhere between 0 and 0.25.  This has almost run out, so I've actually ordered a JBL liquid-based kit this time as I find their tests easier to read.
I’m beginning to wonder if actually I’ve ever had any nitrite at all or if it’s all down to difficulty reading the nitrite and nitrate tests and always defecting to test strips to confirm the situation - but having run out of these recently.  I’ll see what happens when the JBL liquid-based kit turns up – I have high hopes for it definitively confirming the situation given how much easier their test kits are to read!

Nitrate (mg/l; ppm):
Both tap water and tank water are grey and therefore somewhere between 0 and the light pink 0.5, according to ITS.  Waterlife (which I've always used) liquid-based kit looked as though it was 0 for both recently but possibly marginally pink around 10 today.  This has almost run out, and the newly arrived JBL is *so* much easier to read, and easier to do with fewer bottles, and I really don’t know why on earth I didn’t go with this brand before now!  It’s very clearly <0.5 tapwater and 1 for tankwater.

Depending on JBL's assessment of the situation, it might just be that the cardinal problems are not connected with water quality.
The little male is still as described yesterday, and possibly paler.  He’s more ‘shapely’ than usual – difficult to tell if it’s bloating as such but I’ll keep an eye on him. 

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2020, 02:34:00 PM »
Hi @fcmf

Thanks for the feedback.

It sounds like your tank nitrite and nitrate are good-to-go. Please note that the figures you see above the ITS colour patches need to be multiplied by 4.4 for nitrate and 3.3 for nitrite. There is a note to this effect (in dark blue) on the front of the container. That's why the colour patches are labelled 'NO3-N' and 'NO2-N'. Being a USA product, that's how they present their measurements. Just put a big mark on the cap to remind you to get your calculator out whenever you use them!

Please keep us updated.

JPC

Offline fcmf

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2020, 03:57:02 PM »
Thanks for alerting me to that, JPC. Mine have actually come in alternative packaging to the usual bottles - I got an e-mail forewarning me of this - but you're quite correct, it does indeed state that below.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Cardinal tetra - a few odd features"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post March 06, 2013, 07:53:41 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post May 02, 2015, 02:23:48 PM
by Richard W
8 Replies
Last post September 05, 2015, 08:28:56 AM
by Sue
16 Replies
Last post November 13, 2016, 02:37:28 PM
by Andy The Minion
0 Replies
Last post October 13, 2020, 03:32:22 PM
by fcmf
38 Replies
Last post April 04, 2021, 01:34:18 PM
by fcmf
10 Replies
Last post January 05, 2023, 08:29:21 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: