Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Neon green rasbora - ?ulcer
« on: October 07, 2020, 12:56:16 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I think I'm going to lose my last-surviving neon green rasbora.  :'(

These fish really didn't fare well at all, all but one dying within ~a year from inexplicable causes and fatal leaps. This one is almost two, so has actually survived a year longer than the other one that had survived a year, but has had a bent spine / caudal peduncle / tail - fine when viewing her LHS, but particularly noticeable when viewed from above, and her RHS always looks as though the internal organs are protruding slightly with a black shadow over them because of the distorted spine. Fish TB was a possibility discussed with a well-known expert connected with PFK mag but that can't be definitively proven, and I wouldn't rule out this being 'environmentally' caused due to her love of swimming tilted at a certain angle in the filter outflow at the opposite end of the tank from the filter.

She's still as active as ever, zipping around at top speed at all times, but I noticed she wasn't actually eating her favourite food (Bug Bites) or other foods since the end of last week which is most unusual for her. A couple of days ago, I noticed that the dark shadow over her right flank had a 'hole' in it (similar to one of the two female x-rays - RIP) that might have been an injury but more likely the internal organs breaking through the 'skin'. Last night and this morning, it's extended and a lot worse; she's also started breathing very fast, albeit zipping around as much as usual.

I don't know whether it's worth treating with eSHa 2000 or something else but it's difficult to know when I can't definitively diagnose the cause...  ???

Edited to add: https:///youtu.be/9XlZEVmMZg4 plus very zoomed-in but unclear photo from yesterday illustrating the shadow (ulcer not clear as fish was too fast).

Offline fcmf

Re: Neon green rasbora - ?ulcer
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 03:41:09 PM »
Update: Having experimented with moving the neon green rasbora into the hospital tank, she didn't seem in any way perturbed by the move - quite a different story to the cardinal tetras! Therefore, I've decided to give her a chance at recovery by treating with eSHa 2000 albeit I think the prognosis is very poor.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 01:09:41 PM »
Very disappointingly, Wee Greenie didn't make it through the night. During the evening and right up until (and likely beyond) lights off, she was zipping around the hospital tank in usual fashion and I became increasingly confident that she was sufficiently robust to respond to medication, even if no improvement occurred or the ulcer would be a waxing/waning condition. During the night, I wasn't concerned about her welfare and didn't attempt any vigils to check up on her, but instead planned to get her some friends post-medication if the LFS on the far side of the city had stocked them, as I wondered if the trigger factor in her demise was the increase in shoalmates for everyone else.

This morning, she was nowhere to be found - not among the silk plants, wedged behind the filter or heater, or under the ornament. Instead, she was floating inside/at the ceiling of the ornament. I can only assume her 'top-speed battery' finally gave up during the night and the current pushed her body into the ornament.  :'(  The neon green rasboras hadn't fared well at all, which was why I was reluctant to get more, although I might have been tempted if a LFS nearby had stocked them. I now feel as though I let her down badly by keeping her on her own for the past year after the others had died (although I didn't expect her to live that long given her twisted caudal peduncle / spine) -
:vcross:

More reflections to follow...

Offline fcmf

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 03:33:40 PM »
More generally, for my own future reference and of potential benefit to others, what did become obvious post-addition of the new fish was that:
* following the demise of the remainder of the x-ray tetras and all but one of the harlequin rasboras Dec2019-May2020, everyone seemed fine in their small numbers - 3 cardinals, 1 harlequin rasbora, 1 neon green rasbora;
* the addition of 5 more cardinals vastly improved their behaviour - rather than huddled under the filter "like Victorian-era beggars" (https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/fishkeeping-news/are-your-shoals-big-enough/), they disperse now and explore the substrate, looking for food, much more relaxed;
* the addition of 2 espeis to the existing harlequin rasbora has definitely caused Wee Harley to relax more; she had seemed fine hanging around with the cardinals or on her own but now spends her time with the espeis or self-sufficient on her own;
* Wee Greenie seemed perturbed at the increase of numbers of other fish but otherwise seemed ok, energetically swimming around as usual; in hindsight, though, I wish she’d had some of her own kind for company.

The only other causes I can think of that might have accounted for Wee Greenie’s demise are:
* feeding frozen food towards the end of last week; I’ve mentioned before that this has coincided with the sudden or other demise of some fish, and, given that the recent cardinal’s demise followed the last feeding of frozen food, I did think twice about whether or not to feed it this time round; I’m minded not to feed this anymore, and the fish aren’t particularly excited by it anyway;
*best efforts to reduce 50% water changes to 25% water changes never quite come to fruition… must try harder in case this is a factor involved.

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2020, 10:08:04 AM »
I'm sorry to hear about Wee Greenie. You did what you could for her.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2020, 05:29:30 PM »
Thanks, @Sue.

Found a nice little photo of her taken on 6th - the evening before her last - from her 'good side' and from which the twisted caudal peduncle was never visible.

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2020, 08:08:06 PM »
They are lovely little fish. I've seen them referred to as highlighter fish as they look like a stripe from a green highlighter pen.

I has some a few years ago but lost them in the whitespot episode  :(

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Neon green rasbora - ?ulcer"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post November 08, 2012, 09:26:03 AM
by TigzFish
55 Replies
Last post May 09, 2013, 01:47:32 PM
by Smurrayuk
11 Replies
Last post September 05, 2014, 05:15:33 PM
by Pawel
20 Replies
Last post February 11, 2015, 11:32:51 AM
by tattooedcat
6 Replies
Last post July 06, 2018, 02:45:18 PM
by Sue
10 Replies
Last post June 02, 2020, 06:12:30 PM
by fcmf
19 Replies
Last post August 04, 2020, 07:43:07 PM
by jaypeecee

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: