Rainbow Gobies

Author Topic: Rainbow gobies  (Read 13191 times) 38 replies

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Rainbow gobies
« on: December 25, 2015, 08:50:29 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Popped into MA just before xmas and was delighted to discover they were stocking rainbow gobies. I'd previously researched them as I really wanted some and I now have a pair but I think I'll get another female.

They're doing a great job on the brown algae which is still a bit of a pain and are settling in nicely. They like courgette too it seems, eating the green skin rather than the flesh and they do eat catfish sinking pellets too. I've also noticed them hoovering up any flaked food that sinks to the floor.

The male seems to have decided he owns the front centre of the tank where there's a large flat pebble I use to feed the otos on. He doesn't seem bothered by the either the otos or the corys but does chase the female off. I'm going back to MA Saturday so I'll have a chat with one of the guys there who I know owns some himself. He's got 2 pairs so I'll see if he's noticed any territoriality in the ones he's got.

Oh the other thing is that the males dig... a lot, thankfully he's sticking to the front of the tank which doesnt have plants.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
Re: Rainbow gobies
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 09:00:17 PM »
Lovely, interesting fish.

I have three, well I have three of what my LFS had labeled Rainbow Gobies but I'm not 100% certain which of the Stiphodons mine are.

Mine are much more striking coloured now they've settled in, they were quite drab to start with.

What colouration are yours showing? Is there a striking difference between the male and the female?
I think I have three females, but I'm not sure.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 09:23:21 PM »
Now my stiphodons have settled in, I think they are atropurpureous. The male looks just like the photo on Seriously Fish. They like digging too, mainly under the flat stones  :)

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 01:01:54 AM »
I've found an image that shows what mine look like, female is on the left. My male is a bit more colourful. The guy in MA said the colours will develop more as the male matures.

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 10:53:12 AM »
They look nice fish.

I asked at my next to nearest MA about stiphodons, after reading on here about people getting theirs from MA, and they didn't know what I was talking about  ???

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 11:20:14 AM »
Couple of photos of mine, its hard to do them justice really.
They sometimes have a flash of electric blue on their cheeks but they don't show in these photos.

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 10:22:05 PM »
They've got cobalt blue gobies  listed in their fish database Sue, this was the first time I'd seen rainbow gobies since I started fish keeping though.

I know what you mean Simon, the males don't really show their colours until they move. You got any aggression issues with those males? Mine keeps chasing the female away.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 09:06:33 AM »
I don't have any aggression issues at all, they all coexist quite happily.

The only small issue is that one of the Gobies does insist on straying into the coconut nest occasionally, only to be chased away by The Duchess.

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 12:34:13 PM »
They've got cobalt blue gobies listed in their fish database Sue.

I'd seen them there which is why I went to the branch but couldn't find any so asked. The chap I spoke to didn't really know what I was talking about but it is the manager's job to order fish off their list so if he had never ordered any the staff would never have seen any.

The chap at the shop I got my stiphodons from said they were cobalt blue gobies, which are S semoni according to Seriously Fish. But in the flesh they look more like S atropurureus, blue neon gobies because of the spots in the fins. I definitely have one male, but I can't decide if the other is a female or sub-dominant male. I only have 2 because that's all that were left.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 12:41:46 PM »
Nice looking fish Sue. I've never seen the manager in the MA nearest to me, the guys seem to take it in turns to order fish, they say they like to try and order fish that other shops in the area don't have, as well as ordering old favorites.

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2015, 12:56:14 PM »
I'll try to photograph the stiphodons then we can all have a game of "ID the fish"  ;D

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2015, 01:27:23 PM »
... then we can all have a game of "ID the fish"  ;D

I'd love to hear opinions on mine.

I'm fairly sure now that mine were labeled correctly as Rainbow Gobies (Stiphodon Ornatus) and after studying the photos over at Seriously Fish I think I probably have at least one male with the following images looking really close to mine and are captioned as "Adult male, neutral mood"

Even though my earlier photos aren't showing the blue cheeks would you agree?

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2015, 07:41:58 PM »
Practical Fishkeeping Feb 2016 edition has an article on these very fish - pgs 8-13.

Offline Sue

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2015, 08:02:10 PM »
I'll have to see if I can find a copy in a shop.

Here are some pics of mine to ponder over. Are they Stiphodon purpureus or Stiphodon semoni.

The more colourful one, a definite male, was being very photogenic; that is the one labelled A. The other was grazing at the back of the decor and I only managed a couple of fuzzy shots. This is labelled B. I'm still undecided if B is a female or a sub dominant male.

According to SF:
Anal fin - semoni have a white margin to the anal fin, purpureus has whitish margins to the anal and caudal fin. Fish A has pale blue margins.
Dorsal fins - semoni have mostly non-pigmented, purpureus dusky to black. Mine have palish, spotted dorsal fins. Outer edges of dorsal fins yellow to red in purpureus - mine are pink in certain lights (see pic A 2).
Dorsal surface - purpureus has black edges on scales giving a reticulated appearance. SF doesn't mention this for semoni but their photos show thin black edges to the scales. My fish A has thick black edges to its scales.

So some characteristics of both species  ???

Offline fcmf

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2015, 11:02:11 AM »
The PFK article describes gobies/stiphodons as "near impossible to breed" (all sold are wild-caught), "demanding in their requirements" (specifics on this in the article), and that they fall roughly into two types - the more sluggish variety have a much larger first/frontal dorsal fin with a long and curved leading edge "possibly adorned with a trailing, erect 'antennae'" but the more hardcore ones have a rounded dorsal fin without "an adorning 'whisp'".

There are now 36 identified species, with the S.simoni and S.ornatus ones being the most common, but the naming process is rapidly developing - being added to and also changing. The article mentions that they can be traded under different names or that seemingly similar fish may actually be different species, due at least in part to regional variations - this is probably key info in light of some of the queries above. Some are possible to be kept in community tanks eg S.atropurpureus and S.semoni have been seen in rainbowfish tanks. Profile details are only available on the most likely species to be sold - the S.ornatus (rainbow Stiphodon - grows to 7cm max, slow water dweller, females drabber-coloured than the extreme colour changes capable of males) and S.semoni (cobalt blue goby, also known as Sumatran goby or freshwater neon goby - grows to 5cm max, faster water dweller, colourful all year round, and more expensive than the former).

Looking at the pics on this thread and comparing them with the two profile pics in the magazine article, I'm struggling to identify the fish pictured here and identify which they are eg the article pics look as though the S.ornatus has a strong, bold dark line the length of its body (midway down its body) whereas the S.semoni looks as though the colours are less bold and slightly more 'mottled'. On the basis of this, I'd say Simon's pics look slightly more on the patterning of the S.semoni and Sue's more similar to the patterning of the S.ornatus. However, this patterning may just be a feature of those particular article pics, and, having never kept gobies, I don't think I'm in any way qualified to comment.

Hope that helps, even if just a little. Lots more interesting info in the PFK article.

Offline Sue

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2015, 02:08:01 PM »
I must get hold of a copy of PFK!

Mine were sold as cobalt blue gobies, no Latin name. But the one I've labelled A looks just like the thumbnail photo of blue neon goby on Seriously Fish.

Does PFK say that ornatus has blue all down the body? The photos on SF show grey bodies with colour on the head and fins. My fish A has blue to bluey green all the way down its body.
My fish B little colour but doesn't have the black stripes that females are supposed to have. It could even be a different species from fish A.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2015, 02:42:42 PM »
I had a look at SF after my earlier posting. It has more detail about the different species. The pics there are quite different from the pics in PFK, to the extent that any attempt to identify the fish on this thread has left me confused.

The pic of the S.semoni in PFK looks like a cross between it and the S.atropurpureus on SF but the blue is more subtle. No mention in PFK about blue being all down the body, but the pic has blue the full length of the body (and also a dark golden colour).

The pic of the S.ornatus in PFK looks nothing at all like the one on SF. In PFK, the pic is mainly golden the length of the body, with the contrasting dark band the length of its body. There is a possible blue patch on the underside of the fish but I think it is more likely a shadow.

SUBSEQUENTLY EDITED TO ADD:
I see that Seriously Fish actually has a series of pics for each species, not just the main pic, and it shows vast variation within a species eg: the S.ornatus in PFK looks like the pic of SF's female one.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2016, 02:40:20 PM »
I bought another female yesterday and the male LOVES her, who knew fish could be so choosy. When he sees her his colours really intensify and he displays like a looney. All his fins come up and he stands up rather than lying on the sand. I wonder what the other female did to offend him. ::)

Offline Sue

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2016, 03:03:38 PM »
I have come to the conclusion, based on Seriously Fish's photos, that I have a male S. atropurpureus (labelled A in my photos) and a male S. semoni (labelled B). In particular, the patterning of the dark edges of the scales look like the pics on SF. And SF's photos show females with definite black stripes which neither of mine have.

I want to go back to the shop for something else but I will see if they have any more stiphodons and get some females if they have. I see no interactions between the two I have and after reading Fiona's post, it makes me more convinced that I have 2 males.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2016, 08:01:04 AM »
Piccies of my male and one of the females. The blue iridescence round his face doesnt really show up in the pics, at certain angles his whole face looks blue, so do the edges of his tail and fins in certain light.

I've been looking on SF and in view of the fact my male chases one female away yet loves the other is making me wonder if I have females from 2 species.

My male looks like the second piccy of a rainbow goby and the female could be a cobalt blue or S. atratus. I'll have a closer look when the lights go on

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Rainbow gobies"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post May 15, 2014, 07:08:23 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post December 01, 2016, 03:28:34 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post December 14, 2016, 07:34:50 AM
by fcmf
2 Replies
Last post June 29, 2017, 09:22:29 PM
by Dominika
26 Replies
Last post June 13, 2018, 06:06:29 AM
by Matt
4 Replies
Last post October 23, 2018, 05:19:06 PM
by Robert
2 Replies
Last post June 18, 2021, 10:03:52 PM
by egg104

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: