Otocinclus Hiding And Not Coming Out To Eat

Author Topic: Otocinclus hiding and not coming out to eat  (Read 6522 times) 11 replies

Offline CardinalTetraphilia

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
Otocinclus hiding and not coming out to eat
« on: April 12, 2020, 05:28:20 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I have 3 otocinclus and have had them in the same tank as my 6 angels for 4 months. I used to have 4 however one of them developed a fungus around its eye and I tried my best to treat him but sadly he died :( Before then, I could always see my otos whizzing around my tank gobbling up algae and they had quite fat stomachs. Nowadays they just hide and dont eat the algae wafer supplements I put in. They often hide behind the filter. When I was doing a water change I had to remove the filter and I disturbed them. They looked very skinny. What can I do to help them ? I was thinking of getting a few other otos so they could go around in a school. Also I think my angels are eating the algae wafers. The greedy buggers lol. How do I stop this?

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Otocinclus hiding and not coming out to eat
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 06:48:56 PM »
Others on here have had otocinclus and can advise more specifically on their care.
One option with the algae wafers or any food for the otos, to maximise the possibility of the otos eating them, would be to place them in locations the angels can't reach such as in decor like some of the examples here https://www.pro-shrimp.co.uk/232-caves-hides eg the Dennerle Nano Rocky Cave.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 11:27:02 PM »
Hi @CardinalTetraphilia

Otos are more interested in the biofilm and thin algae layer that builds up on tank surfaces. I can think of a few suggestions:

1 Try Repashy Soilent Green gel food.

2 Try adding one or two Catappa leaves. The bacteria in your tank that will decompose the leaf should attract the Otos, which will graze on this. Please note that Catappa leaves will result in a slight brown tint to your water. Just leave them in the tank for as long as you decide.

3 Add some soft driftwood to your tank. The Otos will graze on this. If you can get a plant such as Anubias attached to the driftwood, even better as Otos will graze on the plant roots.

The quickest option is possibly No 1 above.

I have always found my Otos to feed mostly at night or when lighting is very low.

JPC

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 04:30:47 AM »
Getting another Oto is also a good idea though challenging in the current climate I know. They naturally live in very large groups and so need the company of others to feel safe. I have found the individual characters of these fish can also vary quite significantly too, I wonder if the 4th was the outgoing one that kept the others out and about... it would seem so. I agree most with fcmfs suggestion to get them eating, though JPCs foods are definately more targeted for them too once they are. How big is the tank? I have 4 in a 220 litre and would not consider any more personally as I want to ensure there is enough naturally occurring food (such as that in the Repashy food) in the tank to keep them healthy.

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 04:50:04 AM »
Thank you for your reply @Matt ! Yeah I was sad to see him go and I guess he really was the outgoing one :( I had 4 in my 125 litre with the angelfish and bc I have a lot of algae they seemed very fat and well fed. They loved the wafers and would zoom to them the minute I put them in. But now that the angelfish are eating them I wonder if they are now competing for food and with one less member of their little school they are more easily bullied :( I will order the gel food that @jaypeecee suggested and maybe try hiding their food if giving them a new friend doesnt work. Thanks so much !

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 02:16:39 PM »
I have otos in 2 tanks. In the shrimp tank there are no other fish, whereas the 125L is a community tank, and I had the same problem there. I now put the (Hikari) algae wafer in at lights out. The others see them, but eventually drift off and leave them to the otos. The probable reason the angels are interested is that most algae wafers contain 30-40% protein. In the shrimp tank, the (part) wafer goes in during the morning.

Mine will also eat blanched courgette and red (bell) pepper. I fix it in place with a stainless steel barbecue spear. It usually takes a short while for them to realise that it is food. I wouldn't think that the angels will want those. I leave it in for a couple of days, sometimes 3.

Skittler

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 02:40:02 PM »
I’ll repeat Matt’s suggestion which imo is the most important one. Otos live in large groups and are very much a shoaling fish, which you don’t see in small numbers. First thing I would do is add a few more...

Otos don’t really have a personality in nature, other than just ‘one of the herd’. The individuality you often see in tanks is a displacement behaviour, which is why they’re so variable.

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2020, 01:29:10 PM »
Thank you for your reply @Skittler ! I will try putting them in at night. Actually last night I put one of the hikari wafers under their little bridge hideaway and they seem to have eaten it. Huh I've never heard of blanching red bell peppers before wow. I will try the blanched courgette again. Last time they didnt seem that interested in it. But maybe that's bc they were eating the wafers and algae. Thank you again :)

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2020, 01:32:41 PM »
Thank you for your reply @Hampalong ! Yes I'm thinking of getting about 3 more. I can't at the moment due to quarantine :( I am a little worried about how my angelfish will take it though. We shall see when this is over. Thanks again :)

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2020, 01:45:07 PM »
Sorry Cardinal, my poor English. I don't blanch the red pepper, but it does seem to take a day or so in the tank to become attractive.

Skittler

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2020, 01:53:43 PM »
I will try the blanched courgette again. Last time they didnt seem that interested in it. But maybe that's bc they were eating the wafers and algae.
Try wedging an algae wafer in the courgette - that may attract them, as might some garlic juice over the courgette (it's an appetite stimulant for fish).

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2020, 04:00:33 PM »
Sorry Cardinal, my poor English. I don't blanch the red pepper, but it does seem to take a day or so in the tank to become attractive.

Skittler

Plants release different chemicals at different stages of ‘decomposition’, and different fish species have different preferred tastes, so some will dive in straight away while some will wait. A lot of them (especially plecs ime) want it straight away which is why I never blanch anything.

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Otocinclus hiding and not coming out to eat"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post August 07, 2015, 01:44:04 PM
by fcmf
26 Replies
Last post March 03, 2020, 07:07:53 PM
by jaypeecee
4 Replies
Last post October 11, 2017, 11:20:54 AM
by Cjnmynxy
0 Replies
Last post October 26, 2017, 02:08:58 PM
by Sue
11 Replies
Last post July 24, 2018, 09:47:22 AM
by Sue
32 Replies
Last post September 19, 2018, 10:00:17 PM
by Bazza2000
3 Replies
Last post January 22, 2020, 04:33:54 PM
by jaypeecee

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: