Author Topic: New beginnings  (Read 6397 times) 36 replies

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
New beginnings
« on: December 23, 2019, 07:03:41 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Having asked a few questions lately thought I would let you know what I am hoping to do.

As you probably know I have two tanks, one is empty and now clean and ready to ready. The other has some fish in, neons and pencils mainly. The plan is to get the empty tank up and running, plant it up, transfer the filter media to the new filter and then transfer the fish over. Then after a week or so, depending on readings will get the other tank ready to the other new filter and transfer the original mature media over to the other new filter and then slowly add fish.

Tank one will definitely stay tropical but will have tropica soil and be planted. Tank two is most likely going to have guppies and platys in if the JBL Aquadur does the trick in raising my Dh. If it doesn't then might go temperate or just have another tropical tank. It will have the same soil and will also be planted.

Going to use Oase internal filters as they are corner ones with built in heater, so hopefully will look better. I am probably going to update the lights in both tanks as well. Found one solution for changing the lights to LED. Seeing if there is any other way as seems quite a few different LED's on line but of course with my tank lid I am probably rather restricted unless I can find a cover of some sort. Any ideas would be welcome.

Will try and keep things updated as I go, probably more question too.

Dave

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
Re: New beginnings
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 07:46:25 AM »
Tank two is most likely going to have guppies and platys in if the JBL Aquadur does the trick in raising my Dh.

Hi @barneyadi

As explained previously, JBL Aquadur increases KH and GH. The term 'Dh' is incorrect but no big deal as you'll soon grasp the terminology. We can further advise you concerning dosage of Aquadur but don't forget that it will need to be added to your dechlorinated tap water each and every time that you add water to your tank.

JPC

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 12:00:55 AM »
Great to get your update on plans, @barneyadi - keep us posted.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 07:19:16 PM »
Great to get your update on plans, @barneyadi - keep us posted.

Will do.

Hit a slight brick wall about lighting. Matt has given me good advice but also asked some others and getting lots of different views so rather confused at moment, but doing some internet research tonight to see if I can get things clearer in my head.  ;D

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2019, 08:48:48 PM »
Aha!!! A lightbulb moment about lighting. It seems that a 28w T5 bulb will produce 1120 lumens, divided by my lank litres of totals 8.96 per litre. Easy plants seem to want 10-20 lumens so with two bulbs totalling nearly 18 lumen that all sounds good. Maybe fitting a reflector will increase this and move me into medium plants.

Well it seems to make sense.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 09:19:23 PM »
It does except medium plants will require co2 injection too!

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2019, 09:45:22 PM »
It does except medium plants will require co2 injection too!

That's ok, will stick to easy plants, make my life easier.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2019, 03:03:27 PM »
So tank 1 on the way. Background attached, tropica soil in at 1 to 3 inch deep and a small bit of wood. Filter will go in back right hand corner.

Any comments/suggestions most welcome.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2019, 07:01:42 PM »
Looks good to me!  :cheers:

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2019, 07:51:02 PM »
Christmas and New Year have got in the way of things slightly. Tank 1 is ready to add plants to. Unfortunately all the local LFS are low on stock so will wait for new supplies or might order online. Got lighting, a retrofit of LED's for my Juwel tanks. Got one in each tank, looks good in one but not so much in other tank but will wait and see when plants are done in tank 1 as can always add a second light.

Mulling over how to do tank 2, seen a resin submarine and a aircraft carrier I like but as its a planted tank trying to decide if they will fit in as most planted tanks I have seen have wood and/or stone.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2020, 12:44:03 AM »
It can be useful to find out what day of the week each store gets its plant deliveries in - the way you can be sure to get the best quality and choice of plants. Many will also order in exactly what you want if it in in their catalogue.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2020, 11:43:20 AM »
Just realised I could be using one of my new filters in my old tank to get some bacteria on the new sponges. So transferred old media into one of the three slots and got new sponges in the other two. Quite impressed with the filter, top flow rate is very strong but has a nice gentle flow rate as well.

Will let you know how things progress.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2020, 02:09:00 PM »
Had my new filter with mature media in it up and running for a week. Hopefully getting plants for other tank tomorrow, and once planted will fill with water. I understand that Tropica soil doesn't normally cause a ammonia bloom. So if I check my readings and they all seem ok, can I transfer the fish from other tank into it, bringing the filter with mature media as well.

Also how long does it take to seed the other sponges when using mature media?

Offline fcmf

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2020, 02:22:01 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Great about the filter. Hopefully it sits nice and neatly against the corner and doesn't float out at the bottom like my JBL corner one does/did (before I used magnets to address the issue)?

As you'll be bringing both the filters over into the new tank, then you could transfer the fish with it when it's filled with water and water quality readings seem good and water parameters on a par with the old tank. It would probably take approx a month for the new filter to be fully seeded, after which you could remove one of the other filters if you wished - but do keep an eye on water quality for approx 4-6 weeks after that, to ensure that it's definitely ok.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2020, 06:24:35 PM »
Great about the filter. Hopefully it sits nice and neatly against the corner and doesn't float out at the bottom like my JBL corner one does/did (before I used magnets to address the issue)?

As you'll be bringing both the filters over into the new tank, then you could transfer the fish with it when it's filled with water and water quality readings seem good and water parameters on a par with the old tank. It would probably take approx a month for the new filter to be fully seeded, after which you could remove one of the other filters if you wished - but do keep an eye on water quality for approx 4-6 weeks after that, to ensure that it's definitely ok.

Definitely seems to sit nicely in the corner and no floating away yet.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2020, 03:10:45 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 2
So here is the first picture of planted tank. Think I will need more plants at front to cover but looking for anything else I might have missed.

Any thoughts?

David

Offline fcmf

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2020, 03:12:32 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Great news re your filter. Mine floated away from the outset, so it sounds as though your brand and model is much better.

I like the layout of your tank and plants - well done! I'll leave the more experienced plant-keepers to cast a more constructive critical eye over it.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2020, 04:14:54 PM »
Looking good!  8)  Be sure to take the same photo of your tank every week or two so you can see any progress more clearly.  You might experience a few algae issues over the first couple of months, the best thing you can do to combat these is to do big and very regular water changes for this initial period.  Let me know if you need anything, but I think the tank looks great - the more plants you can add now the better too.  Keep up updated!!  :cheers:

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2020, 07:04:18 PM »
Looking good!  8)  Be sure to take the same photo of your tank every week or two so you can see any progress more clearly.  You might experience a few algae issues over the first couple of months, the best thing you can do to combat these is to do big and very regular water changes for this initial period.  Let me know if you need anything, but I think the tank looks great - the more plants you can add now the better too.  Keep up updated!!  :cheers:

@Matt I suppose my main worries at moment is if lighting is enough and what fertiliser to use. Have seen TNC complete, TNC Lite (supposedly for low tech) and the aquascaper complete plant food. Not sure which is best.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2020, 07:21:42 PM »
Are you planning on heavily or lightly stocking the tank and what are your tap water nitrates?

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "New beginnings"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post May 26, 2021, 07:22:04 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: