Author Topic: Musings re more fish  (Read 1209 times) 16 replies

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Musings re more fish
« on: February 14, 2023, 02:54:33 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Some time ago, it became clear that our small abode with plasterboard walls was not conducive to DIY work while having aquatic inhabitants - even hammering a nail into a wall on the other side of the flat would send the fish scattering in fear, let alone constructing flatpack furniture or getting the decades-old kitchen/bathroom replaced.
Therefore, I decided that, with the average lifespan of the tropical fish I have being ~5 years old, I'd have to refrain from buying any more and instead let the tank dwindle down in numbers naturally until none remained, otherwise "the clock" would have to be re-set and these tasks postponed yet again for another 5 years every time. The intention was to re-start the tank once these various projects were completed.

However, the dwindling numbers (cardinals now down to 2, espeis still at 5) which is a little pitiful to witness (ie feel sorry for the cardinals), the realisation that I cannot live without fish, and my broodiness for ember tetras are collectively fighting against my strong resolve. As this daily battle of resolve continues, I think the likelihood of some somehow finding themselves in / swimming into my home is imminent.
Out of interest, and @Matt may be best-placed to answer this, is the current life expectancy for ember tetras ~5 years old? If, for example, it happened to be only ~3, then this may actually be do-able as their "expiry date" might coincide with those of the eldest espeis.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: Musings re more fish
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2023, 07:33:47 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Three years sounds about right @fcmf looking back I have had mine probably slightly longer than that (I really should keep better records!) and their numbers are now dwindling

Offline fcmf

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2023, 10:19:19 PM »
Thanks, @Matt .
If it's of any help, I've since done an 'advanced search' for your username and ember, and it looks as though you got 12 in Aug 2018, then replenished dwindling numbers in Oct 2020.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2023, 04:53:40 AM »
Thanks I should have thought to check on here! I need my head looking at… anyways it looks more like 2 to 3 years in that case (which conforms to a bit of internet research I just did).

Worth adding I suspect I may have had one extra addition… can’t prove anything but one of the fish seems younger than the rest… possibly my only success at breeding beyond seeing cichlids lay eggs and eat them 24/48 hours later!

Offline fcmf

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2023, 03:07:50 PM »
Worth adding I suspect I may have had one extra addition… can’t prove anything but one of the fish seems younger than the rest… possibly my only success at breeding beyond seeing cichlids lay eggs and eat them 24/48 hours later!
:cheers:

Thanks, @Matt - and I ought to have thought to have checked here too initially but was too busy pouring out my thoughts onto the post. After your initial response and my subsequent searching on here, I was deliberating over whether to get specifics re how many had dwindled but you've subsequently helpfully answered my question, and thus the "green light" is on / there's no return now, so watch this space for developments (that is, once I actually find somewhere to put a QT given that the household is currently occupied floor-to-ceiling!). 

:fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1:

Offline fcmf

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2023, 09:04:45 PM »
As an update:
I had intended to get the embers this weekend if at all possible but the plan has now changed.
I discovered yesterday that neighbours who are fishkeepers are moving (too far for it to be viable to take fish and the associated logistics).  By mutual discussion/agreement, and keenness to help out, it seemed best all round if I took in those compatible with my existing species and tank size - 4 cardinals "fitted the bill" (and are now in my quarantine tank).
:fishy1:

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2023, 09:34:07 AM »
So that will give you roughly equal numbers of cardinals and espeis if I’ve understood correctly?  A nice combo. Good to get established cardinals too given some individuals can be a bit flakey.

You probably have room for a feature fish or something if you still have the urge.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2023, 11:45:47 AM »
Yes, it will be 6 cardinals & 5 espeis.  I'm gutted to be missing out on the long-desired embers, had decided long ago against any more cardinals and their inherent challenges, but wanted to help out my neighbours and couldn't bear the thought of their fish struggling to find new homes.

It brings some potential challenges that I hadn't anticipated as I hadn't actually seen them before.
3 out of 4 of these guys are huge in comparison with my own cardinals or any fish ever in my tank* (4x the body mass at least), likely due to having come from a larger and much taller tank with a lot more water volume and general activity levels. They were swimming around very actively with silvertip and rummynose tetras, while the base of the tank had yo-yo loaches and bristlenose plecs and an ageing cory. My own past and present fish have always been quite sedate, interspersed with pottering around, occasional spats or (in the case of the x-rays of old and the current espeis) bouts of frenzied mating behaviour.
Time will tell how they'll adapt to being in a sole-species and smaller tank during quarantine, and in turn in the main tank which is smaller than what they've been used to.
Hoping their size won't frighten the existing cardinals or create pecking-order issues, but their activity levels might be on a closer par to the espeis'.

Everyone has spotted one another. The only available location for the QT was on the dining table immediately opposite the main tank, so everyone has (re)located position in the tanks to eye one another up, which seems to be providing a source of mutual fascination.

Unfortunately, with the massive increase in fish mass, a feature fish won't be an option. With my elderly male nerite preferring to lie upside down on the bottom to rest, anything that might disturb or poke at him would have been off the agenda anyway. Perhaps in a few years' time, and after any aforementioned household renovations, I'll have a tank with those on my "wanted" list - sparkling gourami and ember tetras, but will have to remain patient for the foreseeable future.

[* Have noticed XXL x-ray and cardinals in shops that bore no resemblance to the size mine ever reached, likely due to having lived in larger environments. Does make one wonder whether the 60x30cm minimum recommended tank size recommended by 'bona fide' sources should in fact be larger.]

Offline fcmf

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2023, 03:29:39 PM »
You probably have room for a feature fish or something if you still have the urge.
Out of interest  ???, what would you choose if this were your tank? The cardinals like the bottom.  Sparkling gourami would be a nice option for the top section of the tank, but probably best left until such a time as there are no upside-down snails that might get pecked... 

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2023, 04:37:57 AM »
Sparklers we’re the fish I had in mind too  :cheers: I dont recall much interaction between mine and any snails.

The only other option that springs to mind would be a small Apisto - maybe something like Apistogramma borelli.

The two are quite different choices - the sparklers more of a shy disposition and the cichlids more outgoing - you’d get quite a different feel to the tank. I’ve kept both apistos and sparklers and found them to be lovely fish ( I wouldn’t necessarily personally recommend other gourami or some of the other dwarf cichlids )

Offline fcmf

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2023, 05:34:39 PM »
A belated thanks (unable to reply before today).  Observing tank activities, I'll let my nerites see out their days (or at least the older one who spends most of his life on his back) before considering a feature fish.

To round up this thread, and cf https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/fish-health/adopted-fish-quarantine-'review'-time/msg51734/?topicseen#new , although mildly disappointed I didn't get the embers, I'm happy with the way the tank is now - the bulked-up numbers mean it's much more active rather than a bit sorrowful to look at with everyone huddled at one end, everyone's getting on fine, and I think the newbies have realised they've landed on their feet/?fins with the variety and frequency of food they're spoiled with. It may even be a blessing in disguise that I don't have to learn to get adjusted to a new species - I had my fair share in the past of diminutive fish getting themselves trapped behind filters or kamikaze-ing out of the tank.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2023, 01:49:50 PM »
The story has come "full circle".  With the demise of the extremely large female cardinal which was one of 3 pieces of bad news within 24 hours (the others not fish-related), and with a shoal of embers collectively not even equating to her body mass and within the stocking capacity on Thinkfish, it seemed that the natural antidote was to add the 5 newbies in the attached photo to my brood (just released from acclimitisation into the quarantine tank within the past half hour). 
:fishy1:  :-*

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2023, 06:16:01 AM »
Hope everyone is doing well. Yey I’m so glad you got some, they are such lovely fish arnt they? A little shy perhaps especially in smaller numbers but otherwise a lovely little pop of colour and very mild mannered, sedate fish.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2023, 01:08:14 PM »
Thanks.
Yes indeed - they are lovely.  They "oranged" up nicely later that day, although the quarantine tank has no light on it so it's difficult to fully appreciate them. They are ever so cute as they swim around in a little shoal of 5 and inquisitively explore the end of the tank that I sit at when eating my dinner. 
In the QT, they feel safe enough for one or two to wander off and explore before returning to "the fold".  I'm *hoping* that they'll be ok once they move into the main tank and not perceive anyone as a threat - there will be 5 of each shoal/species, and the other two species are fine together, so fingers crossed that they don't perceive a third as a crowd and that everyone gets on alright otherwise the QT will have to become a permanent second tank!

Offline fcmf

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2023, 01:42:58 PM »
Embers have now entered the final week of quarantine.  Pleased to report that they are growing nicely too, although the bowed front of the QT does make fish look larger than when in the main tank.  Judging from body curvature, it looks as though I have two males, one definite female, and two unclear.  I hadn't appreciated before that embers have a lovely colouring/patterning on their dorsal fin, rather like x-ray tetras.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2023, 03:16:29 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 2
To conclude the thread, the embers have now moved into their new home and have settled in very well - much more stimulation for them in there which is keeping them lively and entertained rather than resting as they were usually doing in the QT.

After ~ten seconds of shoaling up and adjusting to a change of scene, they dispersed - all 14 fish have been happily swimming around together (embers more with the espeis than the cardinals, likely due to preference for mid-water swimming levels) and the embers competed well for food.

:)  :fishy1:

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2023, 09:05:30 AM »
Sounds like a good outcome :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Musings re more fish"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
8 Replies
Last post January 10, 2014, 10:45:54 PM
by SteveS
0 Replies
Last post February 25, 2014, 11:01:05 AM
by Robert
7 Replies
Last post May 08, 2015, 08:33:20 PM
by Robert
14 Replies
Last post September 16, 2015, 01:07:32 PM
by Extreme_One
0 Replies
Last post January 14, 2016, 09:27:06 PM
by fcmf
4 Replies
Last post June 27, 2019, 01:16:48 PM
by Littlefish
3 Replies
Last post October 19, 2019, 07:58:24 AM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: