Larger Tank Possible [some Missing Posts In Thread]

Author Topic: Larger tank possible [some missing posts in thread]  (Read 6236 times) 39 replies

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Larger tank possible [some missing posts in thread]
« on: January 17, 2020, 03:30:51 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all

After some views on a possible new tank. I quite like angelfish but my current tanks are only 80cm long. I understand from research in various places that angelfish need 100cm and height. For example the Fluval Roma 200 has been recommended to me.

So firstly does the 100cm thing sound right? And secondly what other larger fish might go in a tank that size, apart from angelfish?

Cheers

Dave

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Larger tank possible
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 04:26:30 PM »
Yes, 100cm is the absolute minimum size for angelfish, and the Fluval Roma 200's dimensions are exactly the minimum recommended size - https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/pterophyllum-scalare/ while a bigger tank than that (if you can fit it in and afford it) might expand your options.

As for other suggestions, I'm unable to answer that right now, but others might be able to provide inspiration.

Offline Sue

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 05:29:04 PM »
Angelfish are actually loosely shoaling fish and should be kept in groups. But there are downsides to this. Firstly it needs a very large tank, and then there's the risk of two pairing up and spawning, in which case the remaining three or four angels become targets.
One can be kept alone, but this is not the nature of this species.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 07:12:00 PM »
Maybe need to look at other fish who might benefit from a slightly larger tank.

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 08:20:20 PM »
Pearl gouramis  ;D After years looking at this fish, I finally have some as of this morning. They are one of the most peaceful gourami species, you just need a tank with low water flow, and non-nippy, sedate tank mates.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 07:05:14 PM »
Can anyone suggest the best place for a new tank? First pick shows window on right. It is north facing and has blinds on it. The second picture are places im thinking might work. Either in front of chimney breast, in the alcove in the corner or tank running into the alcove?

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2020, 08:23:19 PM »
@barneyadi The tank would work in your alcove, but visually you would get a great view and more access to the tank in front of the chimney breast. It would get some good natural light from the window as well, but not too much.

So there is one opinion for you  :)

The wall opposite the window, about 12ft away, is 10ft long and goes into the alcove. Could that possibly get too much light from window?

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2020, 11:20:49 PM »
Pearl gouramis  ;D After years looking at this fish, I finally have some as of this morning. They are one of the most peaceful gourami species, you just need a tank with low water flow, and non-nippy, sedate tank mates.

Hi @Sue

I used to keep a male/female pair of Pearl Gouramis but the male used to attack the female very aggressively at feeding time. Eventually, stress got the better of the female and she succumbed to illness/disease. The male was also aggressive towards other fish at feeding time. Pearl Gouramis are beautiful fish but I'd hesitate about getting another pair. You may well have more success.

JPC

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 01:10:24 AM »
If the window is north facing the room should be fine to take a tank almost anywhere. If you go in through the course of the day you should be able to see if there is any direct light hitting the walls at "tank height". Some might be nervous of putting a tank in an alcove due to access issues but if you are planning on an internal filter(?) I would not say this was an issue. It more when you have hoses running down the side and/or back.  If you can get a tank to fit that space I imagine it will look great.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 08:30:21 PM »
Thanks for the advice eon tank placement. Happy it seems my thinking was ok as well.

Still planning tank and fish. Have gone from getting slightly bigger fish to 3 or 4 goldfish to maybe back to small tropical schooling fish in larger groups than I can have in other tank. At least the time is allowing me to try and make a decision for when the time comes.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2020, 12:26:48 PM »
Just thought I would update here but as you can see from other link, I have ordered a Fluval Roma 200. Now to decide what fish to put in it. Was quite surprised with using community creator that I could fit 54 guppies or neon tetras or 40 cherry barbs and still only be 80% full.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2020, 03:04:38 PM »
Still planning tank and fish. Have gone from getting slightly bigger fish to 3 or 4 goldfish to maybe back to small tropical schooling fish in larger groups than I can have in other tank. At least the time is allowing me to try and make a decision for when the time comes.
The current 'thinking' around goldfish is that you should have 180L for a common/comet with an additional 40L for each additional fish (although they're best kept in a pond - or a tank of 4ft minimum for swimming length) or 140L for a fancy (eg fantail) with an additional 40L for each additional fish. As goldfish like to be in groups, that's why the Fluval 240L is usually recommended as ideal for goldfish so that it can house ~3 fancy goldfish. So, much as I'm a very fond fan of goldfish and it'd be great to have a goldfish keeper on here, I think you'd be best to stick to temperate or tropical fish.
Edited to add: Actually, that's outdated advice - see this http://injaf.org/aquarium-fish/the-goldfish-section/what-size-tank-for-goldfish/ for more up-to-date advice.

and still only be 80% full.
Don't forget to deduct 10% for substrate/decor (which you've probably done) and that it's best not to stock much more than this. Wow, though, a school of the numbers you describe would be fantastic!

Offline fcmf

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2020, 04:05:58 PM »
This might be a controversial opinion, article but it makes an interesting read:
Why Goldfish Tank Size Isn't as Important as You Think
Yes, that website is well-known as it comes across as though it knows what it's talking about but its advice is seriously dubious and the arguments not cogent and actually contrary to all the evidence - in fact, a perfect example of how newbies thinking of getting a goldfish could so easily get confused as they don't have the background knowledge to decipher good quality from poor quality sources of info on the internet. I'd love to have another goldfish (although would feel unfaithful to my dearly departed ones :'(), this time kept the correct way, but couldn't possibly try to convince myself on the basis of that website when I now know otherwise on the basis of much better quality sources.
A main reason a lot of fish don't reach the size mentioned is because they aren't in optimum conditions - only when kept in such does it become clearer what size they ought to be reaching. One issue I feel uneasy about is the size of my x-ray tetras - they are the 4/5cm expected size, and in the minimum recommended sized tank, but stature/body do not resemble some I've seen recently which have clearly lived in larger tanks and so I have probably inadvertently been stunting their growth.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2020, 04:24:48 PM »
I have been doing a lot of research about goldfish keeping and, although they look great, with so many different and strong opinions I think I am going to stick to tropical etc. My ideas for each tanks are.

Tank 1 - Harlequin Rasbora, Neon Tetras and another Tetra I cant remember name of or pencilfish.

Tank 2- Probably guppies, but might put them in the larger tank 3.

Tank 3 - Thinking of having various barbs.

I cant see any problems but if anyone else does please let me know.

Thanks.

Offline Sue

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2020, 04:34:14 PM »
Don't forget that guppies need harder water than the other fish you mention. I can't remember if we've talked about your tap water hardness, but if it's soft you'll need to 'harden' the water for guppies, and keep only hard water fish with them.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2020, 07:06:55 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
@fishtales It is strange but the more I look into things the more I get confused. The internet is a wonderful thing but at the end of the day there are many different views and opinions which for a newbie could put them off the hobby. I appreciate somethings work for some and some things for others. It is not an exact science. Take tank cycling, there are those that say fish free cycling is best and only way to go, there are some that do fish in cycling and it works for them and then there are others who use an item to help them cycle. To me as long as it works for you and doesn't harm the fish, that is the way to go.

@Sue i do have salt to put into tank however a lfs I was talking too who has never given me bad advice says his water is similar to mine (a little soft) and he has guppies and has no problems. I might still add the salt as just an extra layer of protection. Thinking of getting platies and swordtails to go with guppies. I think best to get 2 or 3 different types of barbs for other tank, as not sure who they might get on with.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2020, 07:32:09 PM »
I think the key to distinguishing 'bona fide' and dodgy info (or opinions) on the internet is how they address the science or evidence - stunting is documented in the literature. Fishbase and Seriously Fish are known to be based on the science and evidence in aquaculture (or equivalent). Sites like INJAF have evidence-informed opinions whereas sites like puregoldfish have evidence-dismissing opinions (as you'll see from the mention of keeping goldfish in a 3-gallon tank and various other clearly unethical comments) and a whole host of other sites no doubt have random opinions plucked out of the air.

In terms of fish-in cycles and keeping fish outside their required hardness range, in both cases it can cause long-term stress to the fish (eg osmotic stress) so they may survive but be more likely to succumb to illness or premature death. With fish-in cycles, monitoring water quality a couple of times per day to ensure no ammonia or nitrite presence, and addressing accordingly, is key.

Barbs - cherries and 5-bands tend to be more peaceful. This might be useful: https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/bring-on-the-barbs/

Offline Sue

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2020, 08:04:29 PM »
i do have salt to put into tank however a lfs I was talking too who has never given me bad advice says his water is similar to mine (a little soft) and he has guppies and has no problems. I might still add the salt as just an extra layer of protection. Thinking of getting platies and swordtails to go with guppies. I think best to get 2 or 3 different types of barbs for other tank, as not sure who they might get on with.

What kind of salt do you mean?
Aquarium salt is just sodium chloride and won't make the water harder. You need something like Rift Lake salts which contain the hardness minerals (calcium and magnesium).
The other chap's guppies may look as though they are doing OK but they will be suffering from calcium depletion and won't live as longs as they should.

Guppies, platies and swordtails all need hard water to do well. If kept in a tank with just them it is quite easy to make the water hard enough for them.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2020, 08:29:52 PM »
i do have salt to put into tank however a lfs I was talking too who has never given me bad advice says his water is similar to mine (a little soft) and he has guppies and has no problems. I might still add the salt as just an extra layer of protection. Thinking of getting platies and swordtails to go with guppies. I think best to get 2 or 3 different types of barbs for other tank, as not sure who they might get on with.

What kind of salt do you mean?
Aquarium salt is just sodium chloride and won't make the water harder. You need something like Rift Lake salts which contain the hardness minerals (calcium and magnesium).
The other chap's guppies may look as though they are doing OK but they will be suffering from calcium depletion and won't live as longs as they should.

Guppies, platies and swordtails all need hard water to do well. If kept in a tank with just them it is quite easy to make the water hard enough for them.

Hi @Sue i got told to use something called JBL Aquadur. Just got to work out dosage before I start.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2020, 10:33:03 PM »
Hi @Sue i got told to use something called JBL Aquadur. Just got to work out dosage before I start.

Hi @barneyadi

I think you'll find it was me that suggested you may wish to consider adding JBL Aquadur here:

https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/general-fishkeeping-advice/water-parameters-3895/msg47109/#msg47109

JBL Aquadur, as stated in the link, is 'one possible product' to increase your water hardness.

JPC

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Larger tank possible [some missing posts in thread]"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
15 Replies
Last post February 07, 2020, 06:08:26 PM
by fcmf
29 Replies
Last post February 07, 2020, 05:56:48 PM
by fcmf
14 Replies
Last post February 07, 2020, 05:59:45 PM
by fcmf
47 Replies
Last post February 07, 2020, 05:51:51 PM
by fcmf
10 Replies
Last post January 20, 2020, 07:45:26 PM
by jaypeecee
6 Replies
Last post January 15, 2020, 06:56:16 PM
by jaypeecee
4 Replies
Last post January 25, 2020, 10:05:53 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: