Getting Ready For The Clowns! [some Missing Posts In Thread]

Author Topic: Getting ready for the clowns! [some missing posts in thread]  (Read 6399 times) 29 replies

fishtales

Getting ready for the clowns! [some missing posts in thread]
« on: November 26, 2019, 04:55:46 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
have ordered some clown loach. I researched lots of suppliers before choosing them.

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
Re: Getting ready for the clowns!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 05:53:32 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
The water parameters of the bag will tell you how long you need to mix them for. Apart from that just leave them dark and disturb them as little as possible. Once in the tank, feed them if they're hungry...

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 05:59:04 PM »
This is very exciting. I hope everything goes well on Thursday.  :)

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 07:02:55 PM »
I am so nervous. I will fill the 125lt tank tomorrow, getting it set up with heaters. I will wait till Thursday morning and put the Fluval 206 on the tank, this has been running on the big tank with some mature media out of the other filters in anticipation of setting the quarantine up for my clowns.

Hi @fishtales

What size is your "big tank"? Is the "big tank" going to be used to house the Clown Loaches?

JPC

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 08:03:23 PM »
I'm personally a fan of the "plop and drop methodology. Believing that fish are most at risk of ammonia poisoning from being kept in a filterless bag or bucket than they are at risk of temperature shock and thay they need longer than e.g. 30 mins to adapt to a different water chemistry (likely many days). This method simply advises you to temperature acclimate if in a sealed bag (bag must remain sealed as ammonia is less toxic when bag sealed as pH lower due to build up on co2) and then pour the fish out of the bag through a net (so you catch the fish - plop) then drop them straight into your tank.

Sorry, not sure than helps give you clarity on what approach to take... but it's a method I've used with great success personally.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 10:35:26 PM »
I am so nervous. I will fill the 125lt tank tomorrow, getting it set up with heaters. I will wait till Thursday morning and put the Fluval 206 on the tank, this has been running on the big tank with some mature media out of the other filters in anticipation of setting the quarantine up for my clowns.

Hi @fishtales

What size is your "big tank"? Is the "big tank" going to be used to house the Clown Loaches?

JPC

Hi @jaypeecee. The big tank is 5ft 400lt. Yes the clowns will be going to the 5ft tank after quarantine. As I mentioned in my intro thread. I realise I will be looking at an even bigger tank in the future  :)

Hi @fishtales

OK, now I'm up to speed. Sorry but I'd overlooked your intro thread. A friend of mine has a 7ft 500 litre tank so I have an idea of the scale of your setup. You're obviously drawn to big fish. Will be interested to hear how things progress.

JPC

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 09:29:10 AM »

Well I certainly wouldn't say I am drawn to big fish @jaypeecee . In fact having a big fish ruined my pleasure in keeping fish at the beginning. But after my experience with my Sailfin pleco, I  am very aware of what it is like for a large fish to be stuck in a tiny aquarium. With insufficient flitration and maintenance. Truth be told I wish big fish weren't so easily available for fish keepers to buy. I personally think Sailfins, Clowns, pacu, common goldfish, all common plecs etc should have to be ordered in for the select few who have tanks (or ponds) big enough to accomodate them. Or better still some of them shouldn't be available full stop.

That sadly isn't the case, and while my set up isn't perfect for the fish I am getting permanantly, They will be in a bigger aquarium with a larger group. I believe this will improve their mental well being as well as there physical. Equally important IMO.

Hi @fishtales

Good on ya! Are you aware of INJAF? Stands for 'It's Not Just A Fish'. I would have provided a link here to their site but it's not a secured site yet.

JPC

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 01:23:39 PM »
Hi @fishtales

I'd forgotten how much good stuff there is on that site. The 'Effects of Malnutrition on Fish' is very interesting as is the section on 'Hormones & Pheromones'. I was having a discussion with one of my fish-breeding buddies recently. He is a hands-on, non-scientific, expert breeder of (pretty much) all fish types - particularly livebearers. From his practical experience, he had drawn the conclusion that pheromones played a big part in the rate of growth and the maximum size attained. And, this is particularly important to breeders. As I understand it, it's the female fish that releases pheromones, which then attract the males.

JPC

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2019, 07:20:00 PM »
Great news, and I'm looking forward to seeing some pics.  :)

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2019, 08:53:17 PM »
I suspect you can make a temperature change such as that (2 degrees) instantly without any bother though do oevr 2 days for comfort factor if you wish.  Why not split the difference and go for 15 degrees in both. You can lower if in the main tank afterwards if required. 26 or right at the top of the range for black widow tetra and the loaches.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2019, 10:04:43 PM »
So I have my Clown loach in quarantine at a temp of 26C. At the moment my main tank runs at 24C. The main tank has Sailfin pleco, Rainbow Shark, Corydoras Aeneus and Black widow tetra. Should I gradually increase the temp in main tank to 26C? I read 26.1C is the maximum my Sailfin should be kept at. However looking at other sources they consider a higher temperature acceptable for him.

Hi @fishtales

I cannot advise on the optimum temperature for your Clown Loach. But, please take a look at the following thread:

https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/fish-tanks-and-equipment/aquarium-thermometer-accuracy/

It is not possible to overstress the inaccuracy of many electronic digital aquarium thermometers. We put our full trust in them but many are not deserving of this trust. It is not uncommon to find these thermometers being +/-2C incorrect out of the box. So, for a nominal reading of 24.0C, this could be anywhere from 22.0C to 26.0C. And this accuracy can get even worse as the battery ages. These digital aquarium thermometers are 'dirt' cheap for a reason! It is false economy.

JPC

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2019, 09:28:12 AM »
Glad to hear you have ordered the type that go inside the tank as those stick on the outside ones are not nearly as accurate  :)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2019, 01:31:38 PM »
Hmmm - when I kept cories, I noticed what you are describing, but you may well have identified the original source of the problem in your case. Personally, I'd be more inclined to treat for bacterial infection such as eSHa 2000 or Waterlife Myxazin.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2019, 01:43:28 PM »
It would probably be worth doing a water change and running some carbon through the filter (if you have some?) for 24 hours to help dilute the Paraguard before starting a new treatment.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2019, 03:14:26 PM »
I have got the thermometers ordered.

Hi @fishtales

Which thermometer did you decide on (manufacturer/model number)? Obviously, the required temperature accuracy depends on a variety of things. Off the top of my head:

[1] Species of fish being kept.

[2] Community or species tank

[3] During cycling/cycled tank.

[4] Breeding/not breeding.

With an established, healthy aquarium, an accuracy of +/-1C is probably adequate. But, I like to aim for +/- 0.5C. Using my +/-0.2C catering thermometer, I have checked all my other, cheaper aquarium thermometers. So, each now carries a label alongside it saying 'reads 1.9C high', for example. Obviously, if the thermometer is of the electronic variety, the one decimal point resolution is very desirable - particularly when used in a large tank where it can take a long time for the water temperature to change due to its high thermal mass.

JPC

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2019, 09:38:10 PM »
I have got the thermometers ordered.

Hi @fishtales

Which thermometer did you decide on (manufacturer/model number)? Obviously, the required temperature accuracy depends on a variety of things. Off the top of my head:

[1] Species of fish being kept.

[2] Community or species tank

[3] During cycling/cycled tank.

[4] Breeding/not breeding.

With an established, healthy aquarium, an accuracy of +/-1C is probably adequate. But, I like to aim for +/- 0.5C. Using my +/-0.2C catering thermometer, I have checked all my other, cheaper aquarium thermometers. So, each now carries a label alongside it saying 'reads 1.9C high', for example. Obviously, if the thermometer is of the electronic variety, the one decimal point resolution is very desirable - particularly when used in a large tank where it can take a long time for the water temperature to change due to its high thermal mass.

JPC

Oh dear. This really is a minefield! I have ordered two of these SuperAqua

Could you point me in the right direction on what I should buy if these aren't accurate enough please @jaypeecee

ETA I would like as an accurate reading as possible. I know I may not need it for the fish, but for my own sanity I feel I require a reliable reading. I like to know all my tanks parameters including what temperature they are really running at.

Hi @fishtales

If you follow the links that I provided, you will end up on a site called FishLab. And if you scroll to almost exactly half way down that long page, you will see "Best submersible thermometer: JW Smarttemp". I thought you would have chosen that one.

BTW, what does 'ETA' stand for? I equate this with 'Estimated Time of Arrival' but, in this context, that wouldn't make sense - or does it?

JPC

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2019, 10:07:11 PM »
Hi @fishtales

As I mentioned previously, one option is to continue using your existing thermometers - electronic or otherwise. Then, calibrate them against a specified accuracy 'reference' thermometer. One possible option is the following, which is specified as +/-0.5C from -10C to +100C:

https://thermometer.co.uk/food-thermometers/1320-thermastick-pocket-thermometers.html

I'm beginning to wish that I'd never brought this topic up. I was only trying to help draw your attention to this.

But, we need not panic. Let's arrive at a solution that meets your needs tomorrow. Please forgive me but my brain needs a break.

JPC

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2019, 08:45:09 AM »
Good Morning, @fishtales

I have a Hanna HI 98501 and it gets a lot of use.

JPC

Offline fcmf

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2019, 05:13:21 PM »
BTW, what does 'ETA' stand for? I equate this with 'Estimated Time of Arrival' but, in this context, that wouldn't make sense - or does it?
If any consolation, I also only knew of 'estimated time of arrival'. Often, I check out urbandictionary.com to find out possibilities for the latest acronym I encounter. ;)

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2019, 05:38:52 PM »
What sand is it? Just wondering if it is too sharp for the cories? Play sand vs sharp sand - you should go play sand for example.

Tags: amz50 

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Getting ready for the clowns! [some missing posts in thread]"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
15 Replies
Last post February 07, 2020, 06:08:26 PM
by fcmf
14 Replies
Last post February 07, 2020, 05:59:45 PM
by fcmf
47 Replies
Last post February 07, 2020, 05:51:51 PM
by fcmf
10 Replies
Last post January 20, 2020, 07:45:26 PM
by jaypeecee
6 Replies
Last post January 15, 2020, 06:56:16 PM
by jaypeecee
39 Replies
Last post February 07, 2020, 06:10:19 PM
by fcmf
4 Replies
Last post January 25, 2020, 10:05:53 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: