Fishkeeping As A Hobby - What Are The Time And Costs Involved

Author Topic: Fishkeeping as a hobby - what are the time and costs involved  (Read 4404 times) 7 replies

Offline Robert

• Administrator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Fishkeeping as a hobby - what are the time and costs involved
« on: February 27, 2016, 07:07:15 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I guess it's fair to say that people start new hobbies for all sorts of reasons; mainly pleasure but sometimes pure curiosity and sometimes just for the hell of it!

What might not be so apparent to some is the time commitment involved and the start up costs, as well as ongoing maintenance, restocking and what not not. We've an old marine costs article here but I figure it's probably a little out of date and could do with a bit of a refresh.

We don't have any decent freshwater cost/time analysis type pieces  (that I'm aware of) so this could be a really useful opportunity for creating something new and current.

So, I guess this is a bit of a fishing exercise (groan) to get some fresh facts around the topic, from real world users.

I'll put together revised articles once I've had a few responses and figure we'll get a nice mix of responses from seasoned fishy folk and newbs too.

It'll be great if you could include this in any response:

Years Fishkeeping:
Number of Tanks:
Number of Fish:
Marine or Fresh:

Nothing too in depth, just general stuff, hours per tank per week/month, general spend per month/year etc.

:cheers:

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Clown Barb (5) - Banded Rainbowfish (2) - Bolivian Ram (4) - Angelfish (1) - Checkered Barb (18) - African Red Eye (4) - Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (8) - Golden Panchax (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
Re: Fishkeeping as a hobby - what are the time and costs involved
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 07:58:03 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 2
Years of fishkeeping - about 20 (maybe 19, the memory is going at my age)
Numbers of tanks - 3
Number of fish - about 60 fish; around half a dozen snails that I've bought, there are tons of 'pest' snails as well; and goodness knows how many shrimps.
Freshwater

Maintenance.
I spend an hour to an hour and a half once a week cleaning my main tank. A large proportion of this is standing waiting for the kettle to boil!
I clean the two smaller tanks twice a week, this takes an hour a time - a huge chunk of this is spent going through the bucket of water I've just removed with a cheesecake pot rescuing shrimps I've just sucked up.

Cost
I don't really know.

I can work out how much electricity the lights use - number of hours lights on per week x watts of light = units of electricity, then multiply that by the cost of 1 unit gives the cost of lighting per week.
Filters are on 24/7 so watts of filter x 24 x 7 x cost of 1 unit = money spent running filters per week.
Heaters are more difficult as they turn on and off, and they're on less in summer than winter. Unless someone can think of how to work out how much electricity heaters use, this can only be a wild guess.

Then there is the cost of fish food and dechlorinator. A £5 bottle of dechlorinator last me months. Fish food tubs last ages as well. Maybe average £1 a month, if that.

The real cost is the equipment to start with. And fish range from as little as £1 per fish to hundreds of £ per fish (yes really! Think of the rare L-number plecs).

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 09:20:10 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Years of fishkeeping - about a year this time around. I also kept tropical fish for a few years in my teens but things have changed a lot since then.

Number of tanks: 2 - I have a 120L tank in the living room and there's a small 20L tank in the boys' bedroom

Number of fish: About 45 tropical Freshwater fish but this number would be far higher if I had space for more tanks.

Maintenance: I spend about forty five minutes a week on water changes and about an hour every third week(ish) trimming plants.

Cost: Roughly £500 on the tank and equipment, the livestock, the plants, fish food and fertilisers for the plants.

Ongoing costs: Electricity for lights, heater and filters - I haven't noticed a significant increase in my electricity bill.

I buy 25L of RO water each week and this costs £3.00 each time.

I buy live food for the fish most weeks at £3.00 for three bags of Daphnia.

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 01:29:27 PM »
Years of fishkeeping: 16 years freshwater [14 years' goldfish, followed by 16 months' tropicals]
Number of tanks: currently 1 [had some concurrent tanks in the past]
Number of fish: currently 12 [would love to have more but very limited space]
Marine or fresh: freshwater

Maintenance: 1hr per week on water changes including water testing.

Costs (many of these are "start-up" costs and so last for ages; not sure of the cost of many of these but these do show how costs add up):

* tank/filter/heater/lighting plus cabinet/furniture for it to sit on [£225ish];
* substrate (gravel or sand) and decor/plants;
* foam mat for aquarium to sit on;
* condensation tray [not a necessity];
* auto-feeder for feeding if away;
* extension lead with extra plug sockets;
* thermometer;
* water testing kits for ammonia/nitrates/nitrites/PH/GH/KH and all-in-one kits which additionally include chlorine;
* medications in event of emergency/illness;
* for water changes - siphon, net, plastic bucket, plastic jug, algae-removing magnet, aquarium sponge, toothbrush [all bought specifically for fishkeeping to avoid 'contamination'], dechlorinator;
* Tetra Safestart (to encourage healthy bacteria growth if adding any new media to filter [not a necessity but gave me peace of mind);
* spare/quarantine tank with extra filter and heater;
* food for varied diet (flakes, pellets, micro-pellets);
* catappa leaves [not a necessity];
* limestone rock (to increase water hardness);
* electricity for heater, filters and light;
[* also ammonia - for fishless cycle].

Hope this helps.

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 03:06:34 PM »
I'll add to fcmf's start up list

* timers for the lights
* plants, real or synthetic
* carbon (pellets or sponge) and Polyfilter (brand name, not filter floss) for removing medication after treatment.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 03:29:18 PM »
I bet loads of us have one of these as part of our kit, I certainly do:

:cheers:

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 03:42:53 PM »
I do.

And lots of different sized syringes and pipettes - syringes for accurate measurement of medication and ammonia and pipettes for taking samples of water, feeding fish and rescuing shrimps from the bucket.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 06:17:43 PM »
Although I have nine tanks I don't spend that much time on maintenance, no more than 4 or 5 hours  a month, mainly because I don't believe water changes are as necessary as commonly suggested. I use a big syphon tube which sucks out a bucket full in double quick time. I never heat water to add to the tank, when I put in the cold water the fish seem to love it and it only lowers the tank temp by 2 - 3 degrees and it rises quickly.

Cost : I buy bulk food from EBay, much cheaper than from the LFS. Difficult to say costs as I buy very rarely, but pretty negligible.

I don't buy anything else apart from water conditioner also from EBay. I don't use any measuring things, just a few drops of the conditioner each water change.

My fish seem to live as long and healthy lives as other people's.

The main extra cost for me is electricity. With 9 tanks, 4 of which are in unheated rooms, I reckon it increases my bill by about £200/year. Would probably be more if I didn't insulate the tanks in unheated rooms by covering them with blankets in cold weather. I'm thinking of changing the lights to LED which would save money in the long run. I have lights on for 10 - 12 hours a day, which multiplied by 9 is quite a lot of power used.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Fishkeeping as a hobby - what are the time and costs involved"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post March 19, 2013, 07:36:43 AM
by ColinB
10 Replies
Last post February 18, 2016, 10:53:12 AM
by Fiona
22 Replies
Last post September 15, 2017, 08:09:21 PM
by MarquisMirage
4 Replies
Last post November 25, 2019, 05:38:10 PM
by Robert
21 Replies
Last post January 23, 2020, 09:24:05 PM
by LeakysLab
1 Replies
Last post May 10, 2020, 09:57:18 PM
by jaypeecee
10 Replies
Last post January 16, 2021, 01:11:41 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: