Do You Have A Plan?

Author Topic: Do you have a plan?  (Read 2922 times) 8 replies

Offline Dominique

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Do you have a plan?
« on: February 06, 2020, 02:07:48 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Having a unique hobby is fun, but fish are not like LP's or vintage cars.  This pursuit involves livestock. There was an event recently that prompts me to recommend to everyone, “please, name someone, and tell them that you named them as your back up!"

This solemn story goes like this:  Peter Massad, a long time member Boston Aquarium Society (BAS) died unexpectedly on Saturday January 18, 2020.  We were all shocked and deeply saddened by this unexplained death while he travelled for work.

Peter had 100+ fish in 4 large tanks. He was well liked and had been generous with his plants and fish over the years at the BAS.  At the request of his widow, we stepped up to "take care of" (her words) his hobby room. There was a brief flurry of emails and calendar coordination, followed by a careful, if hasty, dismantling and distribution of all of Peter's aquarium things.  Four of us rallied and found adopters for all his critters within 7 days.  These were beautiful tanks. It was very sad to see his work be taken apart...

Thinking about higher things, I am making the suggestion to my BAS club members that we all ought to have contingency plans. I make the same suggestion to this forum, as well.  Do you have a plan?  Having a buddy system would be a way for fish to be cared for smoothly if the owner dies. I'm not going to lie, I was a bit floored by the whole event of Peter's passing to begin with, just as everyone was.  In addition to dealing with Peter's demise came the surprise of being asked to help with his things; I was honored to do it.  His family was in great distress, but  club members came through great.

RIP Peter.  Obituary for this good man on FB: https://www.facebook.com/BostonAquariumSociety/

Offline Robert

• Administrator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Do you have a plan?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 01:23:08 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Good points Dominique, what do other users think?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Clown Barb (5) - Banded Rainbowfish (2) - Bolivian Ram (4) - Angelfish (1) - Checkered Barb (18) - African Red Eye (4) - Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (8) - Golden Panchax (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 02:24:44 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I agree - a useful post, with life's fragility and particularly that of a fishkeeper illustrated well. I think contingency plans are a great idea - I keep intending, and this might now spur me into action, to develop a "what to do" guide concerning fishtank keeping (daily feeding regime, tank maintenance and logistical order of what to do and beware of, equipment in fishtank cupboard and its purpose) in the event anything happens to me. Mr FCMF has a fair idea as he's involved in water tank maintenance but wouldn't know certain aspects such as being extra careful when removing plants to ensure a fish isn't hiding among them or when re-attaching the filter to ensure that fish/snails haven't sneaked in behind its position. Also, in the event that Mr FCMF or the next back-up wouldn't want to continue with the fishkeeping (which is almost definite!), then I'd want to leave details of where to advertise/give aquatic inhabitants and my fishkeeping equipment to.

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 03:37:25 PM »
It is something I've thought about now and then but haven't done anything about. I doubt any of my family would want to continue with my fish, and although they know about water changes and have seen me do them often enough, would they think about doing them to keep them alive till they could be rehomed? My husband does know about my favourite fish shop (he drives me there often enough) so I'll suggest that he contacts them if something happens to me.

It is a subject that has come up in my other hobby, family history. What should happen to all my research and documents, let alone my on-line family trees including those I've done for other people?

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 06:41:04 PM »
@Dominique that is a very moving story and I'm so sorry to hear that you lost such a great person from your aquatic society.

I've not really considered the topic that you have raised, and I know that some of the gang that I have are not things that people deal with on a regular basis.

However, the father of my best friend in Cardiff passed away just before Christmas. After his funeral in January we had a long chat and discussed what funeral arrangements we would prefer, and what to do with remains. I think that I could give her a list of people & shops who I think would be able to deal with my gang in an appropriate manner, as I don't have any family who would be capable of making any arrangements.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 08:26:48 PM »
This has me thinking slightly differently... I imagine my family would want to continue with my tanks or at least 1... I could be very wrong about this as it’s not something I personally want to discuss right now but..... I have been working on making my tanks require less maintenance so I can spend more time with my family. This might just be the prompt I needed to take this to the next level...  I was actually coincidentally reading up on some stuff recently which would help me go super low maintenance... if I do go for this, then it won’t be for a few weeks but I’ll post about what I do in a separate thread. I’m very tempted.

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2020, 04:55:37 PM »
yeah it's something that's never actually crossed my mind, but it is worth considering. One of my friends partner had a heart attack at the weekend, he OK but it was a bit of a shocker he's only a few years older than me.

Al would probably like to keep the tank but although he helps with water changes, I'm not convinced he'd want to do the other bit and bobs.

Food for thought indeed.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Rummy Nose Tetra (16) - Harlequin Rasbora (14) - Panda Cory (3) - Fiveband Barb (14) - Pearl Gourami (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2020, 07:31:44 PM »
Thinking about it... I actually think Mrs Matt would be very good at caring for the fish, she takes quite an active interest in ensuring the health of the fish ( though as long as the tank looks nice is probably less bothered about the plants / aquascape ) but the “what if something goes wrong” scenario is what causes me concern. White spot outbreak or something similar... I think the solution is probably to write my username and password along with the web address for this forum somewhere in the tank cabinet. Then she could come here and get the best possible advice there is!! Whether this be “does anyone want these fish?”, or “such and such has happened, what do I do...?”, or any other such questions all could be answered here I’d like to think you’d all be quite happy to help out if the time arose. In fact I’ve not even put a question mark there... I know you would which is hugely comforting and probably goes some way to answer off the original question posed...

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2020, 07:41:55 PM »
That is a very sensible idea.
Years ago on a different forum, there was suddenly a help thread started in the marine fish section. A member had been in the middle of a water change when she was stung by a fish and had a very bad reaction. Her husband promised to finish the water change when he got home, but didn't have a clue what to do and being marine it was more complicated than add dechlorinator and fill up the tank. So he asked for help on the forum and the marine fish keepers talked him through it. All the fish survived and were swimming round happily when his wife was released from hospital a few days later.

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Do you have a plan?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
12 Replies
Last post November 23, 2016, 10:05:56 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: