Democratic Consultation With The Fish

Author Topic: Democratic consultation with the fish  (Read 2784 times) 12 replies

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Democratic consultation with the fish
« on: July 30, 2020, 08:22:23 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
For various reasons, I hadn't been planning to re-stock - but fish broodiness has overtaken and is at an all-time high...

Theoretically, I ought to add to the cardinals' shoal for now - they're still young and ought to have a few more years left in them (although I'm not hopeful given that half of the original shoal of 6 hasn't made it to their first birthday), and I love their colouring and temperament. I prefer to remember each shoal and individual personality within the shoal as it was, and so hadn't planned to add more harlequins (as Wee Harley is now 5+) or neon green rasboras (which never fared well - Wee Greenie remains on her own).  Practically, though, I have been hesitating over whether 9 cardinals .v. a lone harley and a lone neon green rasbora might cause ructions / ganging-up (I had read of a case of cherry barbs doing this in a similar scenario), when everyone seems to be getting along very well, and whether a small shoal of 6 of a new species (possibly similar but not the same as harlies eg espei rasboras) might be better.

In the spirit of democracy, I decided to hold a 'consultation' with the fish.  They were all pointing to the left.  I explained clearly that they had two options - to vote for more cardinals by swimming to the finger I held up, or to vote for a new species altogether by swimming to the other finger being held up on the other side. The result? The cardinals moved forward ever so slightly (suggesting slight favour for more cardinals), while both Wee Harley and Wee Greenie did a complete u-turn and swam with determination towards my other finger (suggesting definite favour for another species).

:fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1:

Comments welcome.  ;D

Offline fcmf

Re: Democratic consultation with the fish
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 01:41:31 PM »
 8) 8) 8)
 :fishy1: :fishy1:
 8) 8) 8)

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 03:04:10 PM »
I'm voting for Cardinals as I'm very fond of them.
So fond, in fact, that I've just put 10 more in with the 17 I had originally.

:fishy1: :cheers:

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 03:42:29 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Thanks.  Ooooh - 27... wow, @Extreme_One   Looking forward to a video.
It's altogether possible that, since my original post, I have your newbies' brothers and sisters swimming in a quarantine tank about 6' away from me.  ;D  However, in the spirit of democracy, to keep my lone rasboras company, and having fallen head-over-heels for rasboras once again, I may also have rescued a couple of lone espeis I spotted in a tank of harlequins - I'll definitely add to that shoal in due course but didn't want the QT or the spare filter media overloaded for now.

Edited to add: I know feeding isn't meant to take place on Day 1 but I thought I'd put a tiny amount of Hikari First Bites in, just in case anyone was hungry. Wow - voracious appetites!  Suffice to say I'm smitten watching them.  ::)

Edited to add again: I really must stop fantasising over the thought of a second tank ie a tank exclusively for cardinals and a tank exclusively for rasboras. Perhaps I've been inadvertently infected by Multiple Tank Syndrome overnight...

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 04:39:36 PM »
We’ll keep us posted on haw many tanks you decide to get!!

Offline fcmf

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 04:45:37 PM »
First things first - space. There's only one option - furniture is going to have to go vertically. The double bed has too large a footprint, so will have to be replaced by bunkbeds. The laundry racks will have to be replaced by a pulley.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2020, 04:50:17 PM »
Keep thinking... I’m sure there must be mor opportunities like this... do you really need furniture as a whole... so overrated!!

Offline fcmf

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 01:44:19 PM »
Totally agree, Matt.

What a morning!

Everyone was alive and well when I got up. However, after my breakfast, one cardinal was breathing very fast and took to hanging around near the water surface beside the filter, despite otherwise looking in perfect form - colours, fins, etc. I spent quite a bit of time with him, pleading with him to hold on, as I had a great life planned for them in another tank which they'd move into after a month. I left him be for a while and sadly he didn't make it.  :'(

I then wondered if the two espeis were stressing out the cardinals as they're very active and have been chasing one another up and down the wall of the tank in the filter outflow. I decided to set up a 3rd tank, using my spare equipment, with the intention of letting them swim off their initial energy in there, then hopefully all would be fine in a month's time on entry into the main tank and with the other rasboras for company - and giving the cardinals some peace in the 2nd tank before entry into the main tank and joining the others. This set-up rendered the spare room completely out-of-bounds, except a narrow area for me to get to reach the tanks. The palaver of trying to set up the 3rd filter (not yet used although I was convinced I had tested it out), divide the mature filter media across the 2nd and 3rd filters, then upturn the contents of a cupboard in an attempt to find a plug adaptor for the 3rd filter (the plug was 2-pronged rather than 3-pronged), transfer sand from the main tank into the 3rd tank (and realising I'd 'contaminated' tank equipment between quaranting and main tanks in the process), then get told off numerous times as fish-related equipment was strewn on the bed, in the corridor and living-room, and water spillages were galore due to filters being moved in and out of tanks! After all this, it has transpired that the 3rd filter, to be used in the 2nd tank while its filter has been transferred into the 3rd tank for the espeis, has completely calmed down the espeis... so now I'm contemplating dismantling the 3rd tank altogether and just putting the mature filter media from it into the 2nd tank.  ::)

Suffice to say that this accurately reflects proceedings in our household today:
FCMF:   :'( and :yikes:
Mr FCMF:  :isay: and "I think you should just get and keep a rubber duck as a pet - it would all be so much easier and less stressful all round".

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2020, 03:53:43 PM »
Sorry to hear about your cardinal @fcmf
It sounds as if your day has been quite difficult.  :(

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 04:54:36 PM »
Sorry to hear about your Cardinal @fcmf it can be really stressful can't it, this hobby of ours?

Thing is, I'm sure it's not just me that gets this, even in the stressful times I'm stretching my brain, I'm thinking around the puzzle, searching for a solution, pondering the problem.

This hobby been be a really good distraction from the drudgery of everyday life.

It's all worth it in the long run. Right?  :cheers:

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2020, 06:25:19 PM »
Sorry to hear about your Cardinal @fcmf it can be really stressful can't it, this hobby of ours?

Thing is, I'm sure it's not just me that gets this, even in the stressful times I'm stretching my brain, I'm thinking around the puzzle, searching for a solution, pondering the problem.

This hobby been be a really good distraction from the drudgery of everyday life.

It's all worth it in the long run. Right?  :cheers:
Thanks, Simon. Yes, the start-of-life/quarantine phase, any episodes of illness, and the end-of-life care are especially stressful. I'm loving the main tank at the moment as all inhabitants (what few there remain of them) seem to be doing well and I can actually relax without a headcount numerous times per day... hope I don't jinx the situation by writing this!
You're so right about trying to figure out a potential cause, etc!

Offline fcmf

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2020, 01:14:00 PM »
Good news - the little Dennerle nano corner filter with its spray bar seems to have immediately and completely resolved the issue of the hyperactive espeis, so the 3rd tank has been able to be removed and the spare room is no longer out-of-bounds. These cardinals are a little different to the older ones - voracious appetites, although this may be because I have them eating Hikari First Bites and the tiny Tetra micro granules rather than the slightly larger food offered to the older ones at the outset; I've also caught two sparring which I/I've never witnessed among the older gang.

Video at <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w59WfWfB32c" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w59WfWfB32c</a>

Offline fcmf

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2020, 03:35:47 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I'm completely besotted with these guys.  :-*  The tank in the living-room is out-of-bounds during the daytime as Mr FCMF is using it as a home office, so it's nice to be able to check on these guys every so often, then be with the main tank inhabitants (and Mr FCMF!) in the evening and at weekends.
Looking forward to when, following quarantine, they ultimately join the others in the main tank - fingers crossed everyone makes it to then in both tanks (plus the plants), and that the union is a happy one as I think the main tank will look great once fully occupied again.
 :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1:

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Democratic consultation with the fish"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
8 Replies
Last post January 10, 2014, 10:45:54 PM
by SteveS
0 Replies
Last post February 25, 2014, 11:01:05 AM
by Robert
7 Replies
Last post May 08, 2015, 08:33:20 PM
by Robert
14 Replies
Last post September 16, 2015, 01:07:32 PM
by Extreme_One
0 Replies
Last post January 14, 2016, 09:27:06 PM
by fcmf
7 Replies
Last post August 05, 2017, 09:10:42 PM
by mizuti
4 Replies
Last post June 27, 2019, 01:16:48 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: