Author Topic: Cyanobacteria (aka BGA)  (Read 2591 times) 9 replies

Offline jaypeecee

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Still learning...
Cyanobacteria (aka BGA)
« on: May 10, 2020, 10:25:10 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi Everyone,

For the last few weeks, I have been probing deeply into that potential menace in our tanks - BGA (Blue-Green Algae). As many people will be aware, BGA does not belong to the algae family at all. In fact, it's a type of bacteria masquerading as algae. Its correct name is Cyanobacteria. I could not ignore this stuff any longer. Some people will remember that I kept German Blue Rams (GBRs) and Panda Garras. A few months ago, I lost them all in the space of a few days. My investigation as to the cause of their sudden death has led me to BGA, of which some species can be very toxic.

I currently have an experimental tank running in which there are no fish. But, there was a significant amount of BGA in there at the outset. I have read numerous scientific research papers about cyanobacteria and some of it is understandable to someone (me!) who is not a microbiologist!

I hope to provide some more detail tomorrow.

JPC

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
Re: Cyanobacteria (aka BGA)
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 12:55:05 PM »
Hi Folks,

I had hoped for at least one reply for this topic. But, if it's of no interest, I'll not pursue it. Should I continue?

JPC  :-\

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 03:00:07 PM »
Hi JPC,  I, and I'm sure everyone else too, read this as an interesting investigation that was underway and thus were awaiting the further detail that you had hoped to provide the following day, after which I'm quite sure replies/comments would have followed.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 04:19:03 PM »
Hi JPC,  I, and I'm sure everyone else too, read this as an interesting investigation that was underway and thus were awaiting the further detail that you had hoped to provide the following day, after which I'm quite sure replies/comments would have followed.

Hi @fcmf

Many thanks for your reply.

Yes, in fairness, I think my previous post was a tad unreasonable for which I apologize. As I hadn't previously mentioned the sudden demise of my GBRs and Panda Garras, I thought this may come as a bit of a shock to others. That's partly why I expected a quick reply. But, I misjudged.

What I'll do is provide an update tomorrow, all being well. I hope it will be of interest. Suffice it to say that I am challenging my grey matter to its limit with trying to get to the bottom of the cyanobacteria riddle.

More to follow.

JPC  :)

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 07:57:30 PM »
Hi Folks,

I'll try to keep things simple. Several months ago, I looked into my community tank to find my German Blue Rams (GBRs x 6) and Panda Garras (x2) sitting on the substrate barely moving. Their bodies had darkened and it looked as if they were paralyzed. It was a sorry sight. Just a few days before, they were full of life. What had happened? All the other fish - Cardinal Tetras, Otocinclus, Siamese Algae Eater, Pygmy Corydoras, C. habrosus were absolutely fine. This tended to rule out water parameters. Then, I remembered that there were a couple of small patches of BGA in the tank. The GBRs and Garras did not survive.

I therefore wondered if the Garras and GBRs may have taken a nibble of the BGA, which was on top of the filter outlet nozzle. This seemed a possibility for the Garras but not the GBRs but I was lost for any other explanation. I knew that some species of BGA were toxic to a whole range of creatures.

I set up a new tank using water from the tank in which I'd had the GBRs and Garras. It wasn't long before BGA started to grow. So, I removed a sample of this BGA and took a look at it under my second-hand school microscope. The objective was to see if I could identify the species of BGA that was growing. A quick detour here is now called for:

Blue-Green Algae (BGA) is not algae at all but is a species of Cyanobacteria. I had my suspicions of what species I had growing in my tank from what I'd read. My suspicion was that it was something called Oscillatoria. Its identifying feature is that the tips of the filaments of this Cyanobacteria oscillate from side to side. And, guess what I saw through the eyepiece of the microscope? Yes! - filaments waving from side to side.

To be continued...

JPC

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2020, 09:15:47 PM »
Hi jaypeecee,

I’ve never heard of or had (to my knowledge) BGA. It was an intriguing read especially as you had to look down a microscope to confirm what it was, I’m sorry that you lost some of your fish and glad at the same time that others are ok with this in your tank.

It’s scary that it can be toxic and be harmful to living things, one question that came straight to my head was how long had it been there? (In your tank)

I will look forward to your next instalment  :)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Pygmy Cory (6) - Sparkling Gourami (1) - Ember Tetra (10) - Marbled Hatchetfish (6) - Cardinal Tetra (12) - Sterbas Cory (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2020, 09:37:15 PM »
I’ve never heard of or had (to my knowledge) BGA. It was an intriguing read especially as you had to look down a microscope to confirm what it was...

Hi @LeakysLab

BGA is, unfortunately, not rare. I know a lot of people who have been plagued by this menace. It's notoriously difficult to eradicate when it appears in a tank. It can be 'imported' on plants, fish and other critters. Although it can be very visible once established, one tiny piece of filament is all it takes to get started. The reason I needed to view it under a microscope was to fathom out exactly what species of BGA I had in my tank. That's necessary to decide how to deal with it.

JPC

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2020, 10:18:36 PM »
What a very sad story about your GBRs and panda garras, JPC - the experience you had (avoidable-with-benefit-of-hindsight discovery) plus fatal accidents have to be among the two worst a fishkeeper has to deal with.  This is extremely interesting, however, and therefore await the next instalment...

I've had a couple of small patches of BGA/cyanobacteria - but my memory's a bit distorted as to whether it's only been in the tropical tank or whether in the goldfish tank too in the past. Certainly, it's been in an area of least flow in the tank, near/behind/under the snail food pot. The fact that the large female snail frequently upturns the pot to graze on its underside has helped keep it at bay - although possibly I wouldn't notice it now as I've darkened my substrate (albeit am very thorough with the siphon).  I see from https://www.thesprucepets.com/cyanobacteria-blue-green-algae-1378628 that high phosphates contribute to it.

Keep us posted...

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2020, 06:50:48 AM »
Sorry to hear about your experiences and fish loss @jaypeecee
I have panda garras in my river tank, and am very fond of their boisterous nature.

I have had BGA in at least one tank in the past. I can't remember which tank as it was quite a long time ago, but I don't remember having any problems with the fish. This BGA is the stuff that sort of peels off like a sheet when it on the glass, isn't it? I've definitely had that. I think I increased cleaning at the time, but it's likely that it was eventually eradicated completely when the tank was stripped down and re-worked - something I used to do a lot as I upgraded to larger tanks.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2020, 10:40:10 PM »
This BGA is the stuff that sort of peels off like a sheet when it on the glass, isn't it? I've definitely had that...

Hi @Littlefish

Yep, that's the stuff. Did you know that's several layers of Cyanobacteria? It can align itself to the light source to optimize light absorption. I am in awe at nature and it's one of the things I love about this hobby. It's not just the fish, amphibians, snails, shrimps but I'm fascinated by what happens at the micro level. Even if it's BGA!

JPC

Tags: cyanobacteria BGA 

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Cyanobacteria (aka BGA)"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
10 Replies
Last post November 15, 2014, 03:21:08 PM
by biffster

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: