Cleaning Test Tubes, What Do You Do?

Author Topic: Cleaning test tubes, what do you do?  (Read 5372 times) 19 replies

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Cleaning test tubes, what do you do?
« on: March 16, 2016, 09:05:35 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
As title, what do you guys do to clean out your test tubes (obviously aimed at those who own Liquid test kits.

I generally give the test tubes a good dousing under the running tap water, leave them to steep in hot water for a while then air dry standing on a paper towel...

I have started to notice my Ammonia test tube is yellowing and wonder what is the best and safest method to keep them crystal clean and sterile for tank use  :)

Thanks in advance  ;)

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
Re: Cleaning test tubes, what do you do?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 09:17:09 PM »
After emptying the contents of the tube I fill it with water and empty it two or three times. Then half fill the tube, give it a good shake, then empty it three or four times. Then let it stand upside down in the sink for a few minutes while I wash any other tubes I've used. Then I wash the lids by holding them under a running tap.

Once I've finished all the washing I dry them in the same order. I get a clean paper hanky, hold it by one corner and twist it round to make a cylindrical shape which I then push down into the tube and twist round and round till the inside of the tube is dry. I use the other end of the hanky to dry the lid. You can do 2 tubes with one tissue.

I've found that leaving the tubes to stand full of tested water does leave a deposit on the inside of the tube. Using the paper hanky to dry them wipes any deposit off. If the tissue comes out very coloured, I wash and dry the tube again.

It has to be a paper hanky or possibly toilet paper as kitchen towels are too thick.

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 09:20:25 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I'll give that a bash Sue, I kind of figured it's best to avoid chemical cleaners...  :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 09:22:16 PM »
If you can find a test tube sized bottle brush, you could try that - carefully as the tubes are quite fragile. I recently twisted the top half off a tube trying to get the lid off.

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 09:25:53 PM »
Yeah I'm kind of thinking some Pyrex tubes might be an investment for the future. I intend to do regular testing... Probably at least twice weekly for the initial few months then down to weekly tests so they will get used a lot  :)

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 10:02:32 PM »
EBay have plenty of sellers offering large packs of test tubes, 100 for £13 delivered, for example... If I bought a large amount I would happily pack them into half dozen lots and send them to you for a very small price, I could even include a 5ml syringe or two for no extra charge as I have access to plenty of them  :)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 10:06:38 PM »
I got a load of stuff off the internet, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to test all of the tanks on the same day.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 11:02:45 PM »
I have terrible habits I reckon.

After a test I rinse in tapwater and fill up and shake then empty and rinse a few more times. Then I store them back in the test kit. They're not even dried.  ::)

Then, before performing a new test I rinse them in tank water and empty and rinse a few times before collecting the tank water for the test.

I wouldn't recommend following my example.  :rotfl:

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline BlindDogStanley

• Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 07:24:18 AM »
I'm afraid I just rinse them under the tap and put them back in the test kit box. Maybe I should be a little more fastidious in the cleaning of them?

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 08:13:23 AM »
I just rinse several times, then put them onto a plastic tray in the fishkeeping cupboard, either on top of the aquarium sponge to drip into that or else tilted against it to dry out.

It might be possible to get rid of the yellowing that you describe by soaking them in sterilising solution such as Milton if you have any, but following that up with 24+ hours of soaking in water overdosed with dechlorinator, to get rid of any bleach residue.  [Tip from Sue in the past for something else.]

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2016, 10:51:42 AM »
I must admit that I've never bothered with the sterilising aspect, I just clean the tubes of any chemicals.

The method I use to clean them is the method we used to clean glassware in chemistry labs in the 1970s, except that we would rinse them in acetone as a last step. Some containers needed a very good scrubbing with a brush to get them clean! I haven't yet bought any test tube brushes as paper hankies seem to get the tubes clean enough.
I find that it's the nitrite test that stains my tubes most. But I have also found that they come clean easily if they are washed straight away after reading the result. It's when you leave them standing for hours that they get really stained.

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2016, 10:19:13 PM »
I've been doing some brainstorming on this little issue for a few days. The API tubes I have just now seem rather fragile and I have heard of members breaking them accidentally during cleaning. The caps also do not always give a decent watertight seal when you shake the tube.

I'm seriously considering putting together a few kits of pyrex test tubes with blue push-caps (maybe 6) with a cleaning brush plus two syringes (one 6ml, one 25ml) and posting them to members who would like them? If there is enough interest I may well go ahead and bulk buy the test tubes and brushes at the end of the month. Let me know  :cheers:

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2016, 11:04:51 PM »
carefully as the tubes are quite fragile.

Yup had to find replacement, I cut a tiny corner off a green scouring pad, stick it in the test tube and shake like billyho, so far its done the job, the key is drying them . It seems a pain in the bum because you're cycling. It gets simpler as the tank matures, I confess that I don't test my mature 200l more than once a fortnight now, unless I add new stock or fiddle with the planting. Smaller tanks need closer monitoring.

I'm cycling my shrimpery at the moment so I too have test tube pain  ;)

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2016, 07:43:30 AM »
Yes, I've noticed the same problems with the API tubes.

I'm seriously considering putting together a few kits of pyrex test tubes with blue push-caps (maybe 6) with a cleaning brush plus two syringes (one 6ml, one 25ml) and posting them to members who would like them? If there is enough interest I may well go ahead and bulk buy the test tubes and brushes at the end of the month. Let me know  :cheers:

That sounds like a great idea. Especially if the kit includes a stand.

Let us know a price and I'll probably buy a set from you. :cheers:

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2016, 08:28:37 AM »
I was actually thinking about that too, Simon. I was thinking about making them out of either wood and/or metal. Shouldn't be much of a challenge  :)

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2016, 11:07:54 AM »
I'd be interested Paddy, not the stand though, when they're dry I store mine in a tin

Offline Anne

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2016, 08:20:25 PM »
I'd be interested in test tubes and the stand as:

a.    it doesn't look that easy to me to make (not in my skill set)
b.    I am some what clumsy and have cracked several tubes by knocking them over

Anne

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2016, 08:47:26 PM »
I'd be interested in test tubes and the stand as:

a.    it doesn't look that easy to me to make (not in my skill set)
b.    I am some what clumsy and have cracked several tubes by knocking them over

Anne

The test tubes would be pyrex so less susceptible to cracking even when dropped... I have access to the materials so once I have some measurements and materials together I can start knocking out some kits. I've been thrown a bit of a fastball today and now need to find a new place to live so I'll see what I can achieve in the meantime, otherwise it will have to be after the move  :)

Offline Anne

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2016, 08:55:24 PM »
Thanks, yes a house is much more important.

Good luck with the hunt.

Anne

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2016, 09:47:08 PM »
No hurry Paddy. Your home is far more important. Best of luck with that.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Cleaning test tubes, what do you do?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post January 29, 2013, 05:25:47 PM
by ady81
5 Replies
Last post August 08, 2013, 04:19:42 PM
by Zo75
3 Replies
Last post September 07, 2013, 06:43:04 PM
by Naomi12345
9 Replies
Last post March 13, 2014, 12:50:28 PM
by SteveS
10 Replies
Last post November 22, 2017, 09:01:50 AM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post May 11, 2015, 06:41:15 AM
by Richard W
10 Replies
Last post January 13, 2017, 07:26:29 PM
by Andys101

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: