Author Topic: Broaching difficult aquarist issues  (Read 1374 times) 10 replies

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Broaching difficult aquarist issues
« on: March 01, 2022, 06:12:04 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Any tips on how to gently 'soften the blow' with other human household member(s) that the quarantine tank may require resurrected and in situ? Such an / more-or-less the only issue of contention in this household. The response to "goodness, look at that fish's tail - it's looking worse each day" is an immediate "Don't even think about the quarantine tank!" Any suggestions gratefully appreciated.  :-\

Offline Sue

Re: Broaching difficult aquarist issues
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2022, 06:50:06 PM »
I usually just set the tank up saying 'don't worry it's only temporary', then somehow forget to take it away and move other fish in there instead. But that's not likely to work here  :(

Offline fcmf

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2022, 08:11:37 PM »
I should have followed Mr FCMF's lead.
Instead, I managed to catch him distracted with the news, insisted he retrieve the QT (I can't access it), then went through the whole palaver of catching the fish (who I thought was feigning death to avoid being caught) and must have induced a heart attack in him (the fish, not Mr FCMF). He sank to the bottom of the QT and is now sucked up against the filter.  :'(
The fish was perfectly fine - eating, swimming with others, etc.  The only problem was a large white pustular spot on his caudal peduncle and other whitening that was worsening through the entire caudal peduncle, which I thought I might be able to save by dosing him with eSHa 2000 or Waterlife Myxazin or the antibiotics.
Instead, I feel horrendously guilty at having killed my own pet fish by inducing too much stress. I feel absolutely dreadful. How on earth can I face looking at the other fish in the tank after this (or myself in the mirror), or even carry on fishkeeping...?!
Edited to add: ...and, quite justifiably, I've just been told "I told you so - you cause far more harm than good when that hospital tank comes out."
 :-[

Offline fcmf

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2022, 01:55:37 PM »
I ventured back into the fish room later on yesterday evening and put the dead/almost-dead fish back in the main tank where her/his body fell into a plant.  I felt that the least I could do was let him pass away definitively (if he hadn't already done so) with his tankmates, but couldn't make eye contact with any of them.
I then spent an entirely sleepless night, racked with guilt, and coming to the realisation that while I love fishkeeping and care deeply for the fish and snails in my care, and give them the best life I possibly can, I fail completely on the capturing/netting fish aspect which is a key component of fishkeeping and therefore I couldn't continue in the hobby.  12 hours later, I was still purple-faced with guilt - it was as though I'd induced a case of scarlet fever as I've never had such intensely flushed/purple cheeks sustained for so long.
Imagine my utter confusion when I dared peek in and noticed all 7 cardinals were swimming this morning, including the 'dead' one.

Photos show how he was yesterday and hence why I intended to medicate - he wasn't going to survive whatever this is without an intervention and his tail looked at risk of dropping off, yet he seemed constitutionally capable of withstanding treatment and so I wanted to give him the opportunity of survival. However, I must have induced a stroke/ heart attack/ similar with the trauma of attempted capture. He'll probably die imminently from the former, or the combination, but I suppose a small percentage of my guilt is reduced by it not being immediate. In this case, I'll have to leave whatever happens to nature.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2022, 01:51:36 PM »
'Dead' fish still alive, doesn't seem to be holding a grudge against me for his ordeal (ie swimming up to the glass looking for food and making eye contact with me) and generally behaving fine (so my guilt is waning), but the whitened caudal peduncle remains and looks like a huge white spot that could burst at any minute, in which case his tail would fall off completely.

I've been very impressed with my Aquadip plant fertilisers, and now have some Aquadip Health Conditioner which I may add to the main tank to see if that helps at all.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2022, 08:59:06 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I must admit it is nice seeing the plants thriving in your picture even is the fish in question is playing games with your nerves. I do sometime feel that I must be absolutely deficient at catching fish when I see the people in the shop seemingly do it with such ease. On my last visit I had the realisation that their nets are significantly bigger than mine and so I am thinking I might try the herd the fish into one net using the other technique next time. It’s always stressful for all involved though.

Sound like your fish has some fight left in it at least! Fingers crossed for you both

Offline fcmf

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2022, 03:41:28 PM »
Thanks, M. 
Yes, all of the plants are showing new growth which is nice. 
I think another advantage of catching fish in a LFS is that, besides the larger nets, there is rarely decor in the tank that gets in the way.
The white area on the fish's caudal peduncle was a very large pustular spot - one that looked ripe for squeezing if that were feasible. 
I toyed with dosing API Melafix or Aquadip Health Conditioner, either/both of which can be used in the main tank.  Ultimately, I opted for the former as previous experience of another health conditioner type product (Easylife Voogle) had often resulted in a fungus-like addition which then fell off - fine if located on the torso but problematic if on the caudal peduncle or the base of a fin as the entirety would fall off.  I know Melafix doesn't have a great reputation but, in this instance, I think I made the correct choice in choosing it and dosing it as the spot is now much less pustular/ripe. 
I may be delaying The Inevitable but the fish is currently enjoying itself with its tankmates and chasing food, so, aside from the largest cardinal harassing it out of the way occasionally by putting its nose to this one's caudal peduncle until it stays out of its way, it seems otherwise content.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2022, 03:17:09 PM »
As an update, this fish lives on (touchwood).  Its caudal peduncle is white/raw, and intermittently develops 1-3 white pustular spots on it.  I add Melafix to the tank when this arises.  Whether or not they would subside of their own accord, or the Melafix is effective in these circumstances, I don't know - but, for now, this seems a suitable course of action.  The fish is happy otherwise - chasing down food, sociable, etc.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2022, 02:58:07 PM »
By way of final update, sadly, I had to euthanase this fish an hour ago.  I noticed last week that the fish was the same size as the 'runt'/smallest cardinal and so must have shrunk in size over time.  However, it had remained happy.  Then, in the past day or two, the tail split, leaving only a tiny portion of the upper and lower section, creating difficulty for swimming.  At this stage, I contemplated isolation with medication in the hospital tank, but felt that the previous extremely adverse reaction to isolation, further weakness developed since and unlikelihood of adapting to swimming tail-less or the tail actually growing back collectively wouldn't bode well.  S/he's had a final peaceful morning, albeit with no tail at all, resting under the filter and with all tankmates very respectful, but struggling to swim when attempted - and I decided uncharacteristically unemotionally that it would be kindest not to postpone The Inevitable or prolong the discomfort/difficulty.

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2022, 03:01:37 PM »
I am so sorry it came to this, fcmf  :( But there does come a time when it's the kindest thing to do - but even then it's not an easy decision.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2022, 06:01:07 PM »
Thanks, @Sue - indeed.
A few months ago, I looked back at footage of my elderly and ailing fish in 2020 which made me wince - I did think in hindsight that I ought to have intervened sooner in some cases.  In today's case, I think I struck the balance better, which is of some small consolation.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Broaching difficult aquarist issues"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post May 15, 2013, 08:38:35 AM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post November 09, 2015, 11:01:58 PM
by Adrian G
12 Replies
Last post February 08, 2016, 12:13:04 PM
by rosaleen
12 Replies
Last post July 11, 2016, 08:18:36 PM
by fcmf
4 Replies
Last post November 15, 2019, 07:16:32 PM
by Littlefish
6 Replies
Last post January 15, 2020, 06:56:16 PM
by jaypeecee
17 Replies
Last post October 25, 2020, 02:34:24 PM
by Fishbeard

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: