Author Topic: 54L tank - update  (Read 1032 times) 8 replies

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
54L tank - update
« on: August 12, 2022, 05:15:22 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Unfortunately I had a couple more cardinal tetra fatalities in late July, a week apart, as follows:
* One had looked larger and bloated (only when viewed from above during water changes) for a couple of weeks but nothing else seemed ontoward and I assumed it was simply a healthy appetite / female.  One evening, however, there was a very sudden demise (discolouring, panting and buoyancy awry) evolving into being sucked against the filter intake ten minutes later, and it was clear that I needed to "intervene" as the end was imminent and the others were intrigued.
* A week later, despite all remaining cardinals in perfect health, one was missing during one of the several-per-day headcounts - it was lying upside down in some java fern.
There's no obvious reason for their demise ie water quality or otherwise.

I'm now down to 4 cardinals, plus the 5 espeis.

I had convinced myself that the 54-litre tank should only house two species.  However, I'm not convinced that cardinals are the optimum choice for my tank (although in theory they ought to be).  Getting more espeis probably isn't wise as they are quite boisterous - one young male in particular - and any more might feel intimidating for the remaining cardinals.

However, ember tetras seem to me the perfect choice - and would appreciate the hygrophila guanensis that I've kept alive and been propagating for 2.5 years (touchwood).  I was thinking of a small shoal of 6 for now - increasing to the recommended 8-10 when capacity allows.

Thoughts welcome.   :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1:

Offline Sue

Re: 54L tank - update
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2022, 06:54:02 PM »
Sorry to hear about the cardinals  :(

I've kept ember tetras and they are lovely little fish once they've settled in and coloured up. I had them in a 125 litre and one other similar sized species I kept them with, which could be an alternative to embers, was Microdevario kubotai, neon green rasboras (or even green tetras in one shop!). Again they don't look much in shop tanks but do colour up to a light yellowy green once they've settled in.

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2022, 06:58:20 PM »
I had the thought that the cardinals are probably dying natural deaths due to old age(?) An organ fails, and death can be sudden. Maybe the bloating was leakage...

I had cardinals in a 6x2x2 a few years ago. They ‘roamed’, stringing themselves out like a train as they slowly went from end to end, at the back a few inches above the sand. I can’t remember how many, but about 30 I think. That seems to be what they do. Their tankmates (lemons and glowlights) kept themselves together more and weren’t so bent on being on the move all the time. So maybe they need more space than we think.

I’ve never kept Embers but they seem very nice and placid.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2022, 01:15:04 PM »
Thanks, both.

Harlequin and espei rasboras seem to fare well in my tank (touchwood), so in theory the microdevario kubotai would too.  However, I bought them back in 2018 - they didn't fare well (several kamikaze leaps, a lot of spinal deformities, and all but one dying within 18mths), so I definitely wouldn't get them again. However, your suggestion (@Sue) has reminded me that I had made a decision not to get the dimunitive species again as pygmy cories also hadn't fared well. 

As for the cardinals, I don't think old age is the case here - although the usual 'ball park' of 5 years old doesn't necessarily seem to be the case anymore from what I can gather. The oldest ones are from Sept 2019. I recognise one of the remaining ones from that batch and I think all of the other 3 remaining ones are from the Oct 2021 batch (but can't be certain).  That's really interesting how your cardinals behaved in a much larger space (@Hampalong) - mine tend to move around the tank a few inches above the sand, scouring for food morsels (I think).

I think I'll probably opt for the embers but keep a semi-open mind...

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2022, 08:49:22 AM »
Any further thoughts/updates @fcmf ?

Offline fcmf

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2022, 01:36:24 PM »
I'm seeing how the cardinals do in their current group of 4, but not in any rush to act (and, for various other reasons, unable to and best not to just yet). 

If I have any more cardinal fatalities, I'll definitely get 6 embers next.  If I don't, I might consider 3 more cardinals and keep the tank two-species only. 

Currently, all 9 fish seem quite content in one another's company (aside from a young, testosterone-fuelled male espei who goes through phases of hot pursuit of the females).  A little unsure whether introducing a third species with the current numbers and size of tank might make them feel a bit 'cramped'.  Also don't want a borderline-fully-stocked tank if we experience power blackouts in the winter.

In essence, I'm "sitting on the idea" for now.  :D

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2022, 11:14:42 PM »
Fair enough, I will say I’m certainly a fan of my ember tetras, they are peaceful yet outgoing. The bigger the group of them the better in my opinion :)

Offline fcmf

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2022, 06:25:48 PM »
If I have any more cardinal fatalities, I'll definitely get 6 embers next.

Hmmm - one of the cardinals had developed black colouring around its gill / base of pectoral fin.  Ammonium levels have been fine, though.  I've been monitoring this for weeks and just assumed this was part of its colouring.  Today, it looks as though there's a juicy spot and the pectoral fin has vanished, although the fish is swimming and behaving as though everything's fine.  In other words, finrot.  [Edited to add: Finally found the pectoral fin - it's present but not able to do its full range of motion as the 'juicy spot' is in its way.]

I've never had a good outcome when a cardinal (or indeed any fish) develops a problem, so I'm not optimistic.

I think this is likely the definitive decision for no more cardinals, and instead getting embers next time I stock the tank.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2022, 09:34:12 AM »
Sorry to hear this - I did write a piece somewhere on here a while back about my suspicions regarding genetic issues with cardinals which could be a factor here too.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "54L tank - update"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post October 02, 2015, 06:55:20 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post April 01, 2017, 11:47:15 AM
by ColinB
10 Replies
Last post November 09, 2017, 09:17:10 PM
by Littlefish
9 Replies
Last post May 28, 2018, 09:06:58 AM
by Littlefish
8 Replies
Last post November 17, 2019, 08:50:59 PM
by Lynne W
14 Replies
Last post December 11, 2020, 03:55:08 PM
by fcmf
2 Replies
Last post Yesterday at 05:19:08 PM
by tornmean9

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: