Offline ElinorMc

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
120 litre fish stocking query!
« on: September 02, 2021, 07:24:39 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi there  :) !

I have a newish 120 litre, 80cm long tank which is cycled. It is planted, Amazon sword, Anubis, floating plants etc, also has rock and wood. I have 8 cherry barbs in it.

I think my water is 270 ppm, so pretty hard. I think that's 16 degrees German, but not sure on that one. I am considering buying an RO unit so as to open up my options on what I can keep.

Either way I am looking at honey gourami as 1 option. I saw some today and there were small yellow ones, large yellow/orange ones with a black belly (male I think) and large grey ones with a stripe (female I think.) I hear they are best kept at a 1 male to 2-3 female ratio. Were the small ones I saw a different type or do they change colour as they mature? I am trying to figure out whether I am best buying mature or juveniles but want to be able to sex them.

The second opinion I was considering were apistogramma Borellis. These I believe are also best kept in a 1 male to 2-3 female ratio. Does anyone have any experience with these and were they aggressive? I am not sure if my tank is large enough for a group of 4. I may struggle to get enough females as my LFS only had males. Other places said they can order a pair or they can order what I ask for but they don't always get what they order!

Both of these species seem to tolerate water up to my ranges based on 'Seriously Fish.' I know that softer would be better for both however so I shall look at that.

Any knowledge on these 2 species is very welcome!

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: 120 litre fish stocking query!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 08:30:32 PM »
If you want to keep gouramis or apistos, you definitely need to use RO as they are soft water fish. You could mix your tap water with RO to get the right hardness, or use all RO and add some remineralisation salts to get the right hardness.

Honey gouramis come in two colours - natural and yellow. Natural are tan males (with a black throat when 'happy') and grey-beige females. The yellow ones are probably the yellow colour morph which are a bit harder to sex. Males tend to have orange towards the tail end while females tend to be the same yellow colour all over.

Shops also sell fish labelled as red honeys. These are usually thick lipped gouramis not honeys.

Most apsitos are only aggressive when defending eggs or fry. With a tank your size, I would go for only 2 females, and have caves for the number of females plus one to give them some choice.

However, it is not usually recommended to keep gouramis and cichlids in the same tank, unfortunately  :(

Offline ElinorMc

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 09:11:18 PM »
Thank Sue, I have ordered my RO unit so I will figure that out. I think mixing my tap water with the RO water 50/50 when I do water changes should gradually bring my tank to 135ppm / 8 degrees German, which I think is more suitable for these species.

Yes, it's a hard choice! But, I would not mix them, it will be one or the other. I suspect I will struggle to find the female apistos, I've only seen males so far in my area. I suppose I could have 1 male, but that seems a shame.

Perhaps the honeys are the best option. Can you mix the natural and yellow types? I liked the natural males. I think some of the small yellow ones I saw had stripes from head to tail, could they be females?

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2021, 09:57:18 PM »
Yes, you can mix any of the colours of honey gourami. I've had both natural and yellow over the years and the ones with the nose to tail darker stripe are usually female. Male yellows, when they are 'happy', have a black throat like natural coloured but not as extensive so avoid any yellows showing a black throat.

Offline ElinorMc

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2021, 02:49:15 PM »
Out of interest are the red thick lipped gourami aggressive between males? And can they be mixed with honey gourami? I've seen some red thick lipped and some yellow honeys and they were all small and I found it hard to tell male from female. If I accidentally end up with 2 males of either type is it very likely they will be aggressive or may they be tolerant?

I do have a small 2nd tank as a back up and a LFS that often accepts returns so there is a solution probably but just curious!

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2021, 04:30:58 PM »
The usual recommendation is that different gourami species should not be kept in the same tank, so I'm afraid it's no to keeping thick lipped and honey gouramis together. It might be possible to keep females of these two species as they are both at the less aggressive end of the gourami behaviour spectrum, but you would need to be 100% sure they were females.

Males of any gourami species are territorial and won't tolerate another male in 'their' space. This means two honeys, two thick lipped or one of each. I once bought a trio of honeys for a 60 cm long tank and a couple of weeks later woke up to find I had 2 m 1 f instead of 1 m 2 f. I had to take one of the males back quite quickly as they came to blows.

I've usually been able to tell the difference between male and female honeys even when small by their behaviour. Males swim round in an almost jerky way; females tens to pootle around looking for bits of left over food on the bottom of the tank.
The way to buy these fish is to take someone with you. Stand in front of the tank as motionless as possible and watch the fish. When you have decided which individuals you want, send your companion to fetch a shop worker and keep your eyes on 'your' fish. If you leave the tank it'll take ages to find 'your' fish again  :)

Offline ElinorMc

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2021, 01:43:46 PM »
That will be amusing! I will give it a try, thanks for the information!

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "120 litre fish stocking query!"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post November 20, 2013, 07:10:53 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post January 28, 2014, 12:46:24 PM
by Kirstos
7 Replies
Last post August 03, 2014, 04:53:50 PM
by Sue
46 Replies
Last post August 20, 2016, 10:11:55 PM
by Matt
33 Replies
Last post January 22, 2017, 09:16:42 PM
by Sue
36 Replies
Last post May 13, 2017, 05:23:02 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post June 07, 2018, 04:13:16 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: