Your Opinions On The Walstad Method?

Author Topic: Your opinions on the Walstad method?  (Read 16400 times) 19 replies

Offline JimmyL

• Fishy Member
Your opinions on the Walstad method?
« on: March 17, 2014, 04:33:47 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Looking for all of your opinions on the Walstad Method of aquarium keeping. For those that don't know, it's a low tech method where you have an aquarium stocked and planted in such a way that the plants balance the needs of the fish and vice versa.

Funnily enough, I recently found out about it, and found that I have been doing it on my own anyway, with my background in biology and chemistry. My water parameters have been 0/0/0 for ammonia, nitrItes and nitrAtes for near on a month now, without need for a water change. I have soil substrate and about 40% of the tank planted, and just a basic sponge filter, aswell as a healthy snail cleanup crew for keeping waste down and providing calcium for my plants when they die. My fish love it and their colors have never been brighter.

What's your opinion on the tank setup? Do you prefer low tech or high tech setups?

It just makes it feel that much more natural and close to wild conditions for me, and I based out from studying wild ecosystems.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Congo Tetra (8) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (13) - Cherry Barb (6) - Black Phantom Tetra (10) - Cardinal Tetra (10) - Glass Bloodfin (10) - Penguin Tetra (10) - Bloodfin Tetra (10) - Ember Tetra (15) - Serpae Tetra (10) - Black Neon Tetra (10) - Bleeding Heart Tetra (10) - Head & Tail Light Tetra (10) - Golden Pencilfish (10) - Black Widow Tetra (10) - Congo Tetra (10) - Glowlight Tetra (10) - Blue Tetra (10) - Colombian Red Fin (10) - Flame Tetra (10) - Lemon Tetra (10) - Rummy Nose Tetra (10) - Emperor Tetra (10) - Marbled Hatchetfish (10) - Buenos Aires Tetra (10) - Diamond Tetra (10) - Neon Tetra (10) - Rosy Tetra (10) - Red Phantom Tetra (10) - Red Eye Tetra (10) - Silver Tip Tetra (10) - Silver Hatchetfish (10) - Congo Tetra (20) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (20) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Richard W

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Your opinions on the Walstad method?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 06:37:21 AM »
If you look at my posts here, you'll see I have also used this method for all my tanks and I'm very happy with it. It's simple (and cheap!) and makes perfect sense. I also have a biological background and work as an ecologist, so I guess it has a natural appeal to us.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 07:51:11 AM »
After reading Richard's posts I spent many a happy coffee break browsing round different web-sites looking at the Walstad method and it's 'derivatives'. My next tank will (almost) definitely be based around her method. ('Her' being Diana Walstad - not Richard! ;D)

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 08:58:30 AM »
I missed the boat somewhat when starting up my new tank last year - with just getting back into fishkeeping I stuck with what I knew for ease and didn't consider the Walstad method. Whilst everything is fine, with hindsight I wish I had gone down the 'dirting' route as my current setup is restricting my plant density and I may have to look at ferts + CO2. I did set up a dirt test in my small QT tank at the weekend but it subsequently sprung a leak (probably due to moving it around whilst containing water) - good job there were no fish in it!

Offline ColinB

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 10:07:39 AM »
Root tabs are a good way of feeding certain plants if you don't have soil of some sort. The gravel I have seems to be a good size for letting mulm fall through as well as letting plants establish a good root network - so I'm off to MA this afternoon for some more plants.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Richard W

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 11:55:20 AM »
It's well-established that plant growth is always limited by a single factor, the scarcest resource. This is known as Liebig's law of the minimum (look it up on Wikipedia or somewhere). This might be e.g. a particular nutrient, light or carbon dioxide. So if your plants are not growing well because of lack of one nutrient e.g. phosphate, then adding carbon dioxide or increasing light will not benefit them. As I mentioned in a previous post, my plants have always shown a spurt of growth very quickly after adding fish. I'm sure that in a fishless tank carbon dioxide was limiting. However, I've become convinced that in a normally stocked tank your fish will produce plenty enough. In "high tech" and aquascaped tanks, both nutrient and light levels are kept artificially very high and no longer limiting factors so that adding carbon dioxide is beneficial as that is now the limiting factor, particularly as many of these tanks are very lightly stocked with fish, the plants being the main interest  . However, this doesn't mean that the same is true for "normal" tanks. I'd try root tabs first, as they are the easiest option. Don't forget that micronutrients, particularly iron, can often be limiting factors in aquaria, so it might also be useful to try a few drops of one of the liquid fertilisers that provide these. Unless your tank is very lightly stocked, I'd consider carbon dioxide last.

Incidentally, the limiting factor for algae is almost always found to be a nutrient, although aquarists tend to blame excessive light. So anyone who has an algal problem should look at the nutrient status of their tank before worrying about light.

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 12:42:32 PM »
It's well-established that plant growth is always limited by a single factor, the scarcest resource.....Don't forget that micronutrients, particularly iron, can often be limiting factors in aquaria, so it might also be useful to try a few drops of one of the liquid fertilisers that provide these. Unless your tank is very lightly stocked, I'd consider carbon dioxide last.

Hi Richard - thorough advice as usual  :cheers: I had read about the single restricting factor and was wondering whether it was CO2, although I think nutrients are also an issue. My thoughts about CO2 came about because I introduced some floating plants a while back and these exploded (not literally, that would have been messy!) going from around 1/4 to 1/3 of my water surface to at least 2/3 within a very short space of time. I guessed that this may have been due to their access to surface CO2(?), although I am conscious that they're all pretty much viewed as weeds so do tend to grow well in a variety of conditions. Although I have also got some browning on my java fern and read that this could be due to CO2 as well? With regards to the micro nutrients, I have noticed some yellowing of leaves on my vallisneria (one of the spiral forms) which I thought could be down to iron? Both are still growing and propagating however.

JimmyL - just conscious that I may have high jacked your thread! So to add, I'm in the same boat as ColinB where I'll definitely be looking at using the Walstad method on any future tanks (or if I ever have cause to strip down and re-start my current tank).  :)

Offline Richard W

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 01:04:00 PM »
Floating plants grew like crazy in my tanks at first, but slowed down later, by which time the nitrate level had declined considerably, presumably they had used it up. Floating plants obviously take up all of their nutrients from the water, while rooted plants often have a strong preference for obtaining some nutrients, especially phosphorus, via their roots from the substrate. In any case, as using root tabs is so simple compared to increasing CO2 I'd definitely try it first. Diagnosing plant nutrient problems is always tricky, even an excess of one nutrient may give the same symptoms as deficiency of another. And there's also the issue of hardness, Ca and Mg are both essential for plant growth ....................

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 02:11:41 PM »
As regards old Liebig (God what a joker he was eh? He had me rolling in the aisles during biology :rotfl:) there is a page that may help as to which of the trace elements you are missing here. It's a bit sketchy and whenever I've tried to use it in anger, it hasn't helped much; but that's me. It may be of some use.

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 02:19:55 PM »
Thanks Steve

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 10:33:11 PM »
I'm not good at biology and chemistry, so although I find the Walsted method very interesting (I've read Diane's book) I decided it wasn't for me. Mainly because there was too much that I struggled to understand. Also, physics is my strength, so I can get my head round the equipment side of things much easier.

I have also used the Planted tank website that Steve linked to. I found it very interesting. I identified that my tank  was probably short on calcium and definitely too lightly (fish) stocked for the planting. I started dosing with calcium nitrate and a little potassium nitrate at eater changes. I also injected with CO2. Doing so, I had virtually no algae.

I have to admit that my tank regime now more closely resembles the Walsted method, although it isn't as pretty, I think because I don't have enough fish. I i i
I have removed the CO2 injection when the last cylinder ran out, I don't change my water very often and I've not removed any of the cryptocorynes that are making an attempt to conquer the entire tank. I do have a problem with algae, but the fish seem surprisingly ok.

Offline mfritz307

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 12:38:46 AM »
I have never read anything about the Walstad method, but I am sure it closely resembles what methods I use for my aquariums. That is my knowledge of organic gardening. Basically just replicating nature. I use a good quality substrate, plants that are suitable for my lighting(low light), bogwood, driftwood, rocks,etc. And a properly stocked tank. Nature will take its course.    I did see some post saying they did few water changes though, and that seems terribly wrong. Nature replaces water all the time in tropical areas. Its called RAIN.

Cherry Barb (2) - Harlequin Rasbora (1) - Otocinclus (3) - Pearl Danio (2) - Golden Barb (4) - Paradise Fish (1) - Celebes Rainbow (4) - Sucking Loach (1) - Angelfish (6) - Cardinal Tetra (14) - Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (2) - Dwarf Plec / Peckoltia (1) -

Offline JimmyL

• Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 07:09:24 AM »
I do a water change maybe once a month. Other than that, I top it up every week, as I encourage evaporation. When I do a water change, it's a big one, about 30-35%. Sometimes I do a small 10-15% water change on a whim, but not on a schedule.

Congo Tetra (8) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (13) - Cherry Barb (6) - Black Phantom Tetra (10) - Cardinal Tetra (10) - Glass Bloodfin (10) - Penguin Tetra (10) - Bloodfin Tetra (10) - Ember Tetra (15) - Serpae Tetra (10) - Black Neon Tetra (10) - Bleeding Heart Tetra (10) - Head & Tail Light Tetra (10) - Golden Pencilfish (10) - Black Widow Tetra (10) - Congo Tetra (10) - Glowlight Tetra (10) - Blue Tetra (10) - Colombian Red Fin (10) - Flame Tetra (10) - Lemon Tetra (10) - Rummy Nose Tetra (10) - Emperor Tetra (10) - Marbled Hatchetfish (10) - Buenos Aires Tetra (10) - Diamond Tetra (10) - Neon Tetra (10) - Rosy Tetra (10) - Red Phantom Tetra (10) - Red Eye Tetra (10) - Silver Tip Tetra (10) - Silver Hatchetfish (10) - Congo Tetra (20) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (20) -

Offline Richard W

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 08:06:15 AM »
The Walstad method is, at heart, very simple. Most of her book gives the technical background, but you don't have to understand it. For me, it's all summed up by her as "Essential to my natural aquarium is moderate lighting, a substrate enriched with ordinary soil, and well-adapted plants." That's the nub of it. The biggest difference from most is the use of ordinary soil as a layer under the gravel, rather than one of those ridiculously over-priced "special" substrates.
As far as water changes are concerned, I see no reason to change water so long as the parameters are OK. I wouldn't go as far as Walstad ("I change about 25 to 50% of the water every 3-6 months.") but neither do I see the need for a ritualistic weekly water change without good reason. The Walstad method is really the idea of the balanced aquarium revised and updated.  Large water changes are a good way to "unbalance" a balanced tank. The main reason for water changes appears to be to reduce nitrates, but strongly growing plants will themselves use up a large part of the nitrate load.In many tropical areas, rain falls for only a short part of the year. I've lived in a part of Africa where the dry season is 9 months long. The rivers rapidly dry up into a series of pools which then shrink in the heat (40oC every day). Fish are trapped in these pools in conditions which would seem intolerable, but they survive and many breed at this time. When the rains come, they are suddenly exposed to a torrent of water 15o cooler, but they live through all this with no problem. In the Amazon region, and I'm sure in many other areas, fish collectors can only catch many fish when they are trapped in pools in the dry season, as they are much too dispersed when the rivers are full. Apparently millions of Cardinal tetras can be found in some of these pools, where they will stay for months. Obviously they don't get any water changes during this period.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 11:15:05 AM »
Every tank is different. I bet we could all set up a similar sized tank, all use John Innes No3 as our soil, use the same gravel, the same types of plants and fish...... and we'd all get different 'results'. Different algae, different nitrates etc etc. I don't think it's possible to follow a formula and end up with a specific result - there's too many variables.

Thames Water kindly supply me with about 30ppm nitrates and 16° dH in their tap water... as well as all the other minerals that come with water from chalk aquifers, so saying we should do lots of water changes because the fish always get lots of rain water changes is meaningless as rain has 0ppm of both.

So to me the Walstad method is more like guidelines and you can pick and choose which route to go down.... either by trial and error or by lots of research.... or somewhere in the middle, which is what I suspect most people do. I know I will.

Some people like to futz with their tanks, others want to leave it. Some people hate algae, some accept it. Some people have a 'vision' of exactly how they want their tank to look, some are happy that it looks sort of OK.

For me, Happy Fish = Happy Fishkeeper.

Offline Milton

• Fishy Member
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2014, 01:55:12 PM »
Sounds good, but i found it to be too messy.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2014, 03:10:30 PM »
Sounds good, but i found it to be too messy.

Any more details so as we can avoid any potential pitfalls, please?

Offline Milton

• Fishy Member
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2014, 04:30:37 PM »
Well, i used Miracle Grow planting mix instead of soil, it contains a lot of organic material, as well as fertilizer, and capped it with about 2 inches of natural colored gravel.

This produced, a great media for plant growth, but also encouraged algae, and as the organic decayed lots of tea colored water, which i dont mind, but it was also next to impossible to vac without stirring up a lot of debris.

i think this method would be best suited to a tank that is to be left alone to do its own thing.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2014, 04:45:27 PM »
I've certainly had no problems using my garden soil, which is a very heavy clay. I deliberately used some with a low organic content  to avoid decay of organic matter causing issues. Clay soil is probably best. According to Walstad "Clay has 10,000 times more surface area than sand, which gives clay a much greater capacity to bind plant nutrients than sand." Some people have, I believe, succeeded by using unscented cat litter, which is essentially clay, as the bottom layer in their substrate.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2014, 02:17:55 PM »
I unintentionally came across this which some might find intersting: A Basic Approach to the Natural Planted Aquarium.

Tags: walstad method 

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Your opinions on the Walstad method?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
12 Replies
Last post March 13, 2014, 05:33:51 PM
by ColinB
21 Replies
Last post November 03, 2014, 05:24:27 PM
by biffster
0 Replies
Last post May 16, 2015, 09:44:01 AM
by Cod_only_knows
21 Replies
Last post November 08, 2016, 11:11:09 AM
by Andy The Minion
10 Replies
Last post November 24, 2016, 09:30:40 PM
by fcmf
22 Replies
Last post September 11, 2017, 08:43:26 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post October 16, 2017, 09:49:14 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: