Wondering About A New Fishy Direction?

Author Topic: Wondering about a new fishy direction?  (Read 14834 times) 66 replies

Offline jesnon

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Wondering about a new fishy direction?
« on: September 21, 2014, 06:15:35 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Well following on from my previous posts my little tank is in a poor state of affairs, it's current inhabitants are:

One pink endler (called Bow), one mysterious accidental fish (Oz), one assassin snail (James Bond) and one shrimp (Survivor). What an odd little collection my little tank has!

What I was really wondering was.... Since I have so few fish, is it possible to take my tank in a new direction now? I would love a Betta fish, but would a betta be happy with two random tank mates and would my fish be happy with him? I guess also my poor shrimp may get eaten too ^^;

Are there any small other fish I could get?

Or is it simply best to go out and get myself some more endlers? I realise this is probably the best option, but it seems like a good opportunity right now to 'change things up' a little with so few surviving fish! I am also considering changing my gravel, perhaps to sand, since I'll just have to get a few little creatures out of the tank. However I don't know much about how to clean sand and whether I would need to get a different siphon etc....

Sorry for being so vague, just looking for some opinions! 

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
Re: Wondering about a new fishy direction?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 06:45:58 PM »
Before making any suggestions, Jesnon, can you remind us what your water is like - hardness, pH etc. I know the tank is the smaller Fluval Edge.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 07:17:05 PM »
Before making any suggestions, Jesnon, can you remind us what your water is like - hardness, pH etc. I know the tank is the smaller Fluval Edge.

Unfortunately my water is the biggest problem! I live in Southampton so my water is ph 8.2 and very hard. However, I am more than willing to start using RO water as I've been weighing up moving to this water I decide due to the problems I've been having with my tank recently

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 07:37:24 PM »
With 23 litres, RO shouldn't cost too much and that may well be your best bet.

A betta would be fine if you could lower the pH and hardness a bit with RO water. Though you'd have to monitor him to make sure he could find the square of water surface. If he had problems you would need to drop the water level slightly so there was an air space under the top glass. It would spoil the looks of the tank somewhat but at least the betta wouldn't drown.
The endler shouldn't be a problem with a betta. They are not nippy fish and because it would be there when the betta arrived, he should regard it as part of the scenery. But I've forgotten what species Oz is  :-[
A betta might well eat your shrimp though.

If you want something completely different, how about scarlet badis? Your tank is just about big enough for a pair. I've seen these fish at Maidenhead Aquatics. They can take pH up to 8.5 and hardness up to 15 german deg/268ppm. The downside to them is that they much prefer small live or frozen live food.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 08:36:21 PM »
With 23 litres, RO shouldn't cost too much and that may well be your best bet.

A betta would be fine if you could lower the pH and hardness a bit with RO water. Though you'd have to monitor him to make sure he could find the square of water surface. If he had problems you would need to drop the water level slightly so there was an air space under the top glass. It would spoil the looks of the tank somewhat but at least the betta wouldn't drown.
The endler shouldn't be a problem with a betta. They are not nippy fish and because it would be there when the betta arrived, he should regard it as part of the scenery. But I've forgotten what species Oz is  :-[
A betta might well eat your shrimp though.

If you want something completely different, how about scarlet badis? Your tank is just about big enough for a pair. I've seen these fish at Maidenhead Aquatics. They can take pH up to 8.5 and hardness up to 15 german deg/268ppm. The downside to them is that they much prefer small live or frozen live food.

I wouldn't mind so much about lowering the water if he's struggling - my tank tends to lose a lot of water through evaporation so ends up with a little gap in between water changes anyway!

Wow they look gorgeous Sue! Who'd have thought I could have a fish like that?! The only problem really would be finding them I guess! I pass a fish shop on the way to work and there's another literally down the road... I shall investigate tomorrow after work!

Oz is I think a gertrudae - he's quite plain greyish colour and the same size as my endlers, perhaps slightly bigger and has bright blue eyes.

Offline AndreaC

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 02:05:44 AM »
If you're having trouble finding a scarlet badis or want another suggestion, I would consider a group of sparkling gouramis to go in the top of your tank and maybe some more shrimp to keep yours company. I can't imagine the gouramis would be big enough to eat the shrimp (correct me if I'm wrong), although you would need to lower the pH substantially.

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 11:11:59 AM »
Oz should be OK with a betta if you chose that route.

Scarlet badis males are usually pale in shop tanks and don't look very inspiring. If they are the same as other fish, they will colour up when settled in. You could keep those in your tapwater without RO.

If you used RO to lower your hardness and pH Andrea's suggestion of sparkling gouramis would work, a small group of them. They would need an air gap like a betta. If you had a mixed sex group they might even breed. They are tricky to sex so you'd have to buy three or four and hope for at least one male and one female.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 05:41:34 PM »
So I went to two of my LFS today - Aquajardin and Maidenhead. The Aquajardin is very small and didn't have any of the fish mentioned, however Maidenhead is amazing and has a fantastic range of unusual fish.

If you're having trouble finding a scarlet badis or want another suggestion, I would consider a group of sparkling gouramis to go in the top of your tank and maybe some more shrimp to keep yours company. I can't imagine the gouramis would be big enough to eat the shrimp (correct me if I'm wrong), although you would need to lower the pH substantially.

I saw sparkling gouramis in MA - lovely fish. I've written off buying any more shrimp unfortunately though, I've simply not had any luck with them and can't bare the thought of killing any more! However I guess if the problem is about my water, if I went this route and was using RO water it may not be a problem!

Oz should be OK with a betta if you chose that route.

Scarlet badis males are usually pale in shop tanks and don't look very inspiring. If they are the same as other fish, they will colour up when settled in. You could keep those in your tapwater without RO.

If you used RO to lower your hardness and pH Andrea's suggestion of sparkling gouramis would work, a small group of them. They would need an air gap like a betta. If you had a mixed sex group they might even breed. They are tricky to sex so you'd have to buy three or four and hope for at least one male and one female.

I would prefer to stick to my normal tapwater, however if it's just not viable I'm happy to go this route!

I saw in MA 'neon blue badis' - is this the same species but a different colour? I wasn't entirely sure so didn't want to make any decisions until I'd checked here! They were a greyish colour but with a pretty black pattern, and as you mentioned I imagine would colour up to a neon blue as described. I was very tempted by them! So just two - when you say a pair do you mean two male or MF or FF? This was the closest I found to the scarlett badis, though I think there is another shop I could try a little further out.

I spent a lot of time browsing in MA, such lovely fish! I was hoping to get some names to talk about here but my phone had died and I didn't have anything to write down any names. I really like this shop - the shop worker I spoke to really knew his stuff when we got the betta for work and they have a lot of really helpful information booklets around about everything to do with fish... they seem to genuinely want to make sure the fish are being looked after properly once sold!

Another ermm... interesting question! I was wondering if it would be OK to take my future fish purchases home on my scooter!? I can't see how it would be any worse than travelling home by car... I could either put them in an insulated picnic backpack and wear it, or I could put them in my top box or underseat storage. I don't think either get particularly cold or hot

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 07:16:11 PM »
I don't have a clue about the neon blue badis, I'm afraid. Just to complicate matters, the scarlet badis isn't in the genus Badis, it's a Dario - Dario dario to be precise. The best thing to do is ask at the shop what the wholesaler gave as the latin name on the invoice. I've done this in the past at Maidenhead Aq and they've been able to tell me.

You could take them home on your moped so long as they were somewhere secure. I would imagine the underseat storage would be the most secure. You want to avoid shaking them up too much and keep them somewhere that wouldn't come loose if you had to swerve suddenly.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 08:00:47 PM »
I don't have a clue about the neon blue badis, I'm afraid. Just to complicate matters, the scarlet badis isn't in the genus Badis, it's a Dario - Dario dario to be precise. The best thing to do is ask at the shop what the wholesaler gave as the latin name on the invoice. I've done this in the past at Maidenhead Aq and they've been able to tell me.

You could take them home on your moped so long as they were somewhere secure. I would imagine the underseat storage would be the most secure. You want to avoid shaking them up too much and keep them somewhere that wouldn't come loose if you had to swerve suddenly.

Hmm now that is confusing!! I'll pop into the shop again tomorrow and see what they say. 

I'm sure if I put something around the bag in the seat that would work well or I could put them in the bag in the seat.

I forgot to say there was a ton of gorgeous endlers too!

Offline AndreaC

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 01:23:20 AM »
I personally love endlers and you could have a lovely tank if you planted it really nicely, maybe even kept a fancy snail with them? Definitely put the fish you buy in the underseat storage of your moped. I suggest you bring a towel to wrap around the bag and stop it from moving around too much :)

Offline jesnon

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 11:10:22 AM »
I personally love endlers and you could have a lovely tank if you planted it really nicely, maybe even kept a fancy snail with them? Definitely put the fish you buy in the underseat storage of your moped. I suggest you bring a towel to wrap around the bag and stop it from moving around too much :)

I do absolutely adore endlers, and I've been fortunate enough to live in areas where so many different colours and types have been so readily available. Thru really are lovely fish and it's nice knowing that you can have the different colours perfectly happy together.  I could again have some yellow leopard print types, normal endlers, shocking pink and blonde and I have no doubt they'd look fab and all be great little characters! But I am thinking since they're the only fish I've ever kept it might be nice to branch out a little and try something different!

I'd love to have a well planted tank but again seem to have no luck with this! I've even killed off java fern! The only plants I have are moss ball and horn wort and I think you have to do something massively wrong to kill them!! There's also the limitation of the edges lighting for plants and my plain old gravel substrate. I'd love a really well planted beautiful tank but have no idea where to start and what would work!

I think you're right about the seat and towel combination, I think that'll work well!

Offline jesnon

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 12:16:49 AM »
Well I popped in to MA earlier and enquired about the fish. . Apparently they do occasionally stock the scarlett badis and there is a store in Fareham which I might give a ring or pop into.  The guy I spoke to couldn't find the latin name but showed me a site that said they were essentially very similar so I'll do some reading and see what I discover

Here's a picture of the neon blue badis in the shop

Offline Sue

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 02:23:20 PM »
Google seems to suggest that blue badis are Badis badis - this fish. There are several subspecies depending which site you look at. It could be that the fish in the shop were Badis badis which had been selectively bred to intensify the blue.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 05:11:39 PM »
Blue Badis may be the subspecies Badis badis badis, while Badis badis burmanicus is redder and Badis badis siamensis is darker. There are said to be other natural colour forms. It's also known as the Chameleon fish because of its ability to change colour.

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2014, 05:48:03 PM »
Blue Badis may be the subspecies Badis badis badis

Fish names don't get much better than that!  :D

Offline Resa

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2014, 11:28:56 PM »
Hi Jesnon  :wave:

I'm really sorry to read that you have lost most of your fishies :(....how horrible for you. I understand why you are thinking of having a change. I'm not much use for suggestions. I'm afraid, although I can heartily recommend a betta, they are lovely and my Rafe had such a nice character.
The other fish I have always had a soft spot for are the dwarf puffer fish, but I think your tank may be too small for one (I can't remember the size of yours). Also, he may not appreciate any tank mates. I don't know how tricky one would be...one of my LFS's swears they're quite straight forward, but we all know what fibs they can tell sometimes ???
They are terrific looking little fish though....maybe one day I'll be able to get one.

Anyway, I'll probably get told off for even suggesting a puffer, but I just thought I'd put it out there :fishy1:

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline AndreaC

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2014, 04:45:24 AM »
Ooh dwarf puffers are awesome fish but I believe the minimum tank size for one if 40L which means they wouldn't be suitable for Jesnon's tank...

Offline jesnon

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2014, 09:41:04 AM »
Thanks everyone for the advice about the badis - very confusing! I'll stick to waiting for the scarlett badis just in case, think I will give the Fareham MA a ring.  I would quite like to go and visit anyway but I can't really justify the half an hour drive on A roads I'm not used to unless it's for fish at the end of it rather than just browsing! I'm going to attempt to get more plants again too so any suggestions of plants that won't die in my gravel and poor light would be good!!

Thank you Resa, it's so odd now with an empty tank I need to get some fish in there! There were some absolutely lovely bettas in the AquaJardin, I'm not sure how to describe them but the ones with the more frayed tails and one that looked like Sue's current betta. I'd love a half moon I think but I've never actually seen one in person. 

Oooh Resa I know what you mean about the mini puffers they are adorable! Theta always a tank full when I go to the MA!

But yes think my little tank is unsuitable  unfortunately

Offline Sue

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2014, 11:52:11 AM »
The bettas with frayed tails are crown tails. Most bettas in shops sold as half moons aren't quite that, they are more like superdeltas. True half moons can be bought from specialist betta-selling websites, but are expensive. It's all down to the spread of the tail when the fish flares. Half moon is a complete 180 degree half circle. Delta's have a tail with up to 120 deg spread and superdeltas are between the two.

The best way to buy a betta is to ignore tail types and colours. Go to a few shops and look at their bettas. Very often one will choose you by his behaviour. My current betta was a blue and white marble pattern when I got him but it didn't take long for all the white to disappear and I now have a plain blue fish. But he is such a character that it doesn't matter  :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Wondering about a new fishy direction?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
Wondering

Started by Mervyn « 1 2 » New Fishkeepers

20 Replies
Last post November 23, 2012, 04:06:52 AM
by Mervyn
9 Replies
Last post March 14, 2014, 01:32:17 PM
by fishcake76
2 Replies
Last post August 31, 2014, 12:46:48 PM
by Diz1
7 Replies
Last post December 04, 2014, 06:45:56 AM
by biffster
5 Replies
Last post August 30, 2016, 09:28:05 AM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post June 13, 2019, 05:09:10 PM
by Sue
11 Replies
Last post August 30, 2020, 06:19:09 PM
by Beckins

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: