Author Topic: Which fish first?  (Read 3589 times) 12 replies

Offline Colesr92

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Which fish first?
« on: November 03, 2014, 07:55:19 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hey, just a general wonderment.

I am getting rid of my 35l and upgrading to a Fluval Roma 125 (which has just been set up). I am going to move over all my fish in stages, but not sure what to move first. I currently have 1 red honey gourami, 5 male guppies, 6 sunset neon tetras, 4 ember tetras and 3 otos. The tank is heaving a bit atm cause I took the 6 sunsets of a relative who wanted to get rid of their tank. Which fish should I move first? Just wondering which would be the most suitable to the first cycle. I am weary of introducing any new species of fish because this is the community which I will be focusing on in my new tank, along with some panda corys.

Thanks!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Otocinclus (6) - Japonica Shrimp (6) - Silver Tip Tetra (12) - Cardinal Tetra (10) - Cherry Barb (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
Re: Which fish first?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 09:15:24 PM »
Hi ya!

In my humble opinion i would move the ember tetras first as they are probably the hardiest of all the fish you have. Definitely leave the otos til last as they are the most sensitive. The guppys and the neons could be the second/third groups and i don't actually know about gouramis having never kept them!!!

Someone with more experience than me will reply in due course so wait until you get a general consensus before you move anything!!!!

Incidentally, are you planning to cycle the tank first???? I'm not sure what you mean when you say 'which would be most suitable for the first cycle'.  I seriously suggest you cycle your new tank before adding fish (I'm sure you will but I'd hate for your fishies to get plunged into an un-cycled tank!!!) using some of your current filter media. It shouldn't take long.

I'll be interested to see what others say, I may get completely contradicted!!!!!  ;)
FC76

Offline Colesr92

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 09:31:48 PM »
Thanks for the advice!

The red honey is definitely gonna be my third addition, cause i have already had some trouble with dropsy in another red honey. :/ As far as I have red, the embers can be quite sensitive, but I think they may be on the same level as the sunset neons. The guppies are definitely going to be last before the otos.

Just curious whether people think the tetras are going to be a good idea or not?

Also, by cycling I just meant the first addition! I'm testing the water later this week to see how it is doing but probably gonna wait another week or two before I add anything in. 

Otocinclus (6) - Japonica Shrimp (6) - Silver Tip Tetra (12) - Cardinal Tetra (10) - Cherry Barb (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Wild Rover

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 10:47:55 PM »
Hi  :)

I would do a fishless cycle first and then you can transfer all of the fish at once.

Here's how

http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,483.0.html

Just noticed your last paragraph, unless you add fish or another source of ammonia it won't be doing anything, no matter how long you leave it. Go the articles link on the homepage, lots of great stuff to read, especially the article on cycling.  ;)

You don't say what type of filter you have in the tanks, but another suggestion would be to transfer all of your filter media from your old filter to the new one and move all of the fish now. This may be the best option due to over stocking problems in the old tank.

Whether you go for the fishless cycle or moving the fish and filter media you should get a water testing kit and will probably need to do a fair few water changes in the tank the fish are in. I don't think moving the fish a few at a time is the best option. I'm a bit of a noob myself so best wait for Sue to reply tomorrow, she goes to bed at about 8pm, exhausted from helping everyone on here.  ;D

Don't know what we would do without her.

Good luck

Dwarf Rainbowfish (24) -

Offline naughtymoose

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 10:55:04 PM »
Yep, I'd do a fishless cycle too.

It's what I'll be doing with my 30" tamk when I set that up.

Offline Gav

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 07:59:50 AM »
I'm currently in almost exactly the same position. I've just acquired a second much larger tank and want to get fish in it asap. I'm going for the full fishless cycle as described in the link above and using some of the media from the smaller tanks filter I'm hoping it shouldn't take too long.
The difference with my situation is that I'll be keeping all my tetras and gourami in the smaller tank and the new bigger one will be getting some barbs, loaches and possibly cichlids of some sort...

Started getting it set up last night, got the background taped on and the substrate's in, filled it with water and it doesn't leak  :))

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 08:01:40 AM »
Another vote for fishless cycle. It should be very quick as you can transfer some existing filter media across to seed the new filter, then add ammonia to feed the bugglies 'till they multiply up to a suitable ammount..... and then add the fish (with due acclimatisation as the water will be different in some way or another).

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Colesr92

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 04:17:35 PM »
Love these forums, always get rushed by so many replies in less than a day!

I have started cycling the tank, quite heavily planted not but still got a little bit of planting left, but nothing too huge (some eleocharis(?) and more Vals). Checked everything for the first time today and the tank seems to be doing really well. pH is almost bang on 7, Hardness is spot on (both) and there are no nitrites. Havent checked ammonia yet, but will be in a little while and there are no nitrates in the tank as of yet. I have been moving water from my current tank into the new one and have moved a couple of plants over, so it seems to be helping. I will definitely be doing the fishless cycle though, haven't heard of it before! Thought the only way of doing it was by risking fish....  :-\

Is it saffe to move all of the fish over at once though or should i do it by like species specific movements every few days? Worried about overloading everything.

Also Gav, reason I need to move all the fish over is because my small tank is on its way out, the filter is dying slowly and the aquarium hood recently died on me, so thought rather than pay the money to fix it i woulld just upgrade the tank. I currently have a cheap makeshift plant growth light above it as an open top aquarium and evaporation is becoming an issue.

Thanks all.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 05:28:52 PM »
Your other option is to put all the media from the 35 litre filter inside the new tank's filter and move all the fish at the same time. The old filter has the right number of bacteria to deal with the waste from the current fish. You can chop up sponges to make them fit the new filter. Though if you want to keep the honey gourami in the old tank a while longer, leave a bit of media and that fish behind in the old tank.

You would need to keep an eye on the ammonia and nitrite levels in both tanks, doing water changes to get rid of them if you see either - if you do leave the gourami and a bit of media behind, you might not get the proportions of old media quite right.

Moving water from the old tank will, unfortunately, do nothing. The bacteria we want live in the biofilm which is strongly bound to surfaces in the tank (mostly inside the filter media as that's where their preferred conditions are). There are virtually none of these bacteria free in the water. Because they live in the filter media, this is why we have all been suggesting moving it - either a small bit to seed a fishless cycle, or just about all of it and move just about all the fish at the same time.

If you intend getting more fish for the new tank, wait until you are sure you are not going to have an ammonia or nitrite spike, then you can add more fish, a few at a time, testing for ammonia and nitrite between each addition. You can get another batch when you've had a week of double zeros after the last addition.

Offline Colesr92

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 09:31:44 PM »
Well, my ammonia levels appear to be pretty high atm (0.2mg/L) and there are very little nitrates in my tank, so guessing that there are little bacteria within my filter atm. I think i will give it a bit more time before I move the fish over at all, with or without the filter media from my own tank, mainly because there is still a bit of planting I want to continue with and so I don't want to put fish in and them be disturbing them all the time.

I'm not too worried about the honey staying in the old tank because I need to be getting rid of it asap really, cause I need the area that fish tank is currently in. Some more gourami in my tank would also be nice beccause the rest of my planned fish are so small.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, 01:20:58 PM »
Do you mean the ammonia is 0.2 in the 35 litre tank?

It is possibly due to the heavy stocking - you did say yourself it was overstocked because of the fish you recently took in. I would still move all the fish and the filter media to the new tank simple because there is a lot more water in the new tank to dilute that ammonia. I would do it as soon as you have finished planting.
Just mix all the old media with the new in whatever way it will fit. If possible, putting the old media first in the direction of water flow is better as any loose biofilm with its embedded bacteria will be swept into the new media.

Offline Colesr92

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 09:16:35 AM »
Thanks Sue, I took your advice and moved some of my fish over with some of the original filtration media and they seem to be doing really well. My ammonia is on it's way down now (0.1mg/L) in the new tank as of last night and my pH and kH seems to be settling well. My small tank has surprisingly little ammonia in it considering the high number of fish in it, but i think this is in part owing to the large number of plants within the tank.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 03:09:41 PM »
Can't you leave the Ottos in the smaller tank and add to their numbers, they prefer being in groups 5-6 and then you'd have to go shopping for new fish :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Which fish first?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
8 Replies
Last post January 10, 2014, 10:45:54 PM
by SteveS
0 Replies
Last post February 25, 2014, 11:01:05 AM
by Robert
2 Replies
Last post October 10, 2014, 09:19:40 AM
by jesnon
0 Replies
Last post September 14, 2021, 03:21:50 PM
by fcmf
4 Replies
Last post July 01, 2022, 02:40:19 PM
by Hampalong
2 Replies
Last post January 24, 2023, 05:37:00 PM
by Robert
4 Replies
Last post February 21, 2023, 06:17:32 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: