Where To Put Gouramis

Author Topic: Where to put Gouramis  (Read 3973 times) 10 replies

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
Where to put Gouramis
« on: March 12, 2015, 01:56:53 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Here we go again, my sister has decided she doesn't want her fish, last time they were going down the toilet so i took em in, so now i am about to inherit 6 endlers which should go in with my platy and minnows ok at 22c but there are two Honey Gourami, should i put them in with the Platys and minnow at 22 or in with the Congos and Harleys in big tank at 24c (i'd prefer em in smaller 90L tank)

Offline Richard W

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Where to put Gouramis
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 02:38:01 PM »
22 is slap on the minimum for Honey gouramies, personally I'd prefer them to be at the higher temp. They can be quite delicate fish, maybe because most of them have been inbred for colour?

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 04:00:41 PM »
Ive popped them in big tank with Congos and Harleys at 24c, see how they get on, fingers crossed : )

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 09:09:01 AM »
I agree with Richard. My pearl gouramis are currently a similar size to fully grown honies and they get on fine with the harlies.

Are both your tanks planted, because the gouramis would probably be happier in the tank with the most planting.

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 05:33:17 PM »
Hi Helen i seem to have two similar threads on the go, sorry. I have them in the big tank, lots of wood, plants and hiding places, they keep out of each others way and are getting on great with all other occupants, i'm just a bit worried about feeding time, the Congos and Harleys are like Piranha's at feeding time, will the Gouramis get a fair share if they hang back (maybe they will join in eventually?)

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 06:20:57 PM »
Honeys aren't the most forthcoming at feeding time. I have a couple and the tetras and platys barely leave them anything. However, they seem happy enough munching on plants and any leftovers. They are supposed to love live foods like daphnia and brine shrimp.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 06:35:03 PM »
Thanks C, i will have to keep an eye on em, at least they will have leftovers on "pea day" lol

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 06:56:21 PM »
My honey gouramis always scoured the bottom of the tank after feeding time and cleaned any food off the plants.

One way to make sure they get enough is to drop food at the opposite end of the tank from the gouramis, wait till the other fish dash over then drop a bit more food in front of the gouramis. They will get the hang of things, they are probably a bit stressed yet from the move.

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 07:57:58 PM »
Yes, i think they will be ok, they look so funny feeding off bogwood practically standing on their heads lol

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2015, 05:33:41 PM »
I don't know how they compare to honey gouramis, but my pearls took at least a week to get the hang of feeding time. Now they are in there with all the harlies ad cardinals. I crush my flakes pretty small to slow down the greedy feeders and this also works really well for the gouramis as it means the flakes don't sink and so are in a better place for the surface feeders to get their share. Having said that, I gave them frozen daphnia the other day, and all the fish went mad for it, gouramis included.

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2015, 06:51:56 PM »
There behaviour has changed in a matter of a day Helen, they are happy and confident and apparently when in my sisters little tank the big one (maybe female) bullied the little one, they kept well apart once in my large tank but now they are best of pals  :) and they are getting more forward at feeding time, they  get on really well with Congos, and Harleys, or maybe it's the other way around cos they are such happy lovely natured fish, i am so pleased with my eventual hard thought out choices  :))

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Where to put Gouramis"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
25 Replies
Last post March 15, 2015, 07:31:43 PM
by Cod_only_knows
13 Replies
Last post June 27, 2016, 01:13:42 PM
by Littlefish
5 Replies
Last post July 27, 2017, 06:55:42 PM
by fcmf
1 Replies
Last post February 08, 2018, 09:30:05 PM
by fcmf
14 Replies
Last post February 19, 2020, 06:56:54 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: