What Fishies To Add To My Tank?

Author Topic: What fishies to add to my tank?  (Read 2930 times) 7 replies

Offline shivyDevon

• Fishy Member
What fishies to add to my tank?
« on: February 22, 2015, 03:14:12 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Good afternoon all

new to the forum but not new to fishkeeping. Despite this, I've got a relatively low stocked 180litre tank and I am looking for inspiration.

Current set up and inhabitants in my signature. Looking online seems I could have 40-50inches of fish due to my filter and planted tank so what to get?

Firstly I will be adding more leopard corys to hopefully 4/6 to make them more secure. They're quite hard to come by and my LFS doesn't have them in very often.

What else? My other half loves the neon tetra so I could have a small shoal of those? I quite like black phantom tetras too...I'm open to suggestions

Pic of my tank below (sorry its a bit big!)

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: What fishies to add to my tank?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 03:59:42 PM »
I'm in the same situation, adding more fish to a few existing fish, though in my case it is because I have lost a lot of fish due to camallanus worms  :(

With a gourami, you won't want nippy fish. Neon tetras, or cardinals, would go nicely and make a contrast to the harlies. If you like black phantoms, you would need a biggish shoal to keep any nippiness amongst themselves.

Fish I have been thinking about include threadfin rainbows (Iriatherina werneri) or maybe emperor tetras.

Though I should ask, is your water hard or soft?

Offline shivyDevon

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 04:04:36 PM »

Though I should ask, is your water hard or soft?

Thanks for your response.

My water is VERY soft! I live in Plymouth an has the softest water I've ever experienced (considering I grew up in London). My kettle never needs descaling its that soft.

If I got the phantoms how big a shoal would I need? and could I get them with the cardinals/neons or instead of? I don't want to overstock and cause problems for myself.

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 04:28:04 PM »
Have you found the Community Creator on here yet? It is in the fish profiles (click on the button at the top of the page then on any fish and you'll find the CC at the bottom of the profile). Just enter your tank and filter details, and add fish. You need to register and log in separately from the forum to save the tank, and it does have a nasty habit of logging you out after a while.
Adding your current fish to the CC (but using 8 smaller panda cories instead of the 4 to 6 leopards you plan as leopards aren't in the fish profiles) and oversized external filter, the CC reckons you are 22% stocked. I don't like going up to the max in the CC, I prefer to stop at around 80%, but even with that target in mind you have room for more fish.

If it were me, I think I would get a few more harlies/espei rasboras (probably espeis since you already have more of them than true harlies). Another 5 or 6 would give you a nice shoal and only take you up to 27% stocked. Adding a dozen black phantoms and a dozen neons takes the tank to 47%. Even if the Fluval 405 is only classed as 'external' rather than 'oversized external' that lot still gives you 53% stocked.

Offline shivyDevon

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 04:55:10 PM »
Thank you Sue.

Yes I had used the CC on the website and I was surprised at the low stocking I had at present :D

I think your suggestion sounds great. Big shoals of few species sounds ideal and somewhat 'natural'. That will be my plan over the next 12 months so not to add too many too quickly. I think it will look fab once all set up.

I will keep you posted with pics etc.

Thanks again!!

Offline shivyDevon

• Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 05:06:52 PM »
Hi all

Small update. Well today I have got 7 more harlequin espei (was supposed to be 6 but I found 7 in the bag when I got home  ;D ) to add to my shoal so that will make 14 eventually. Also bought a tiger lotus plant to see if I can keep that alive!

So the road to stocking up my tank has begun. Fingers crossed it goes smoothly.  :cheers:

Thanks again xx

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 05:17:22 PM »
Keep a check on your water levels, mainly ammonia but also nitrite, as you have increased your bioload by something like 50%. Any mini-spike you might see should be over pretty quickly.

Offline shivyDevon

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 05:43:47 PM »
Will do  :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "What fishies to add to my tank?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
0 Replies
Last post December 11, 2012, 06:26:01 PM
by maz1
5 Replies
Last post December 16, 2012, 10:04:20 AM
by maz1
Our Tank

Started by pmalipha Gallery Showcase

1 Replies
Last post February 16, 2013, 04:58:24 PM
by ColinB
1 Replies
Last post October 29, 2013, 08:52:52 AM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post April 07, 2014, 05:40:47 PM
by Christine Snape
31 Replies
Last post December 22, 2014, 10:11:22 AM
by AndreaC
18 Replies
Last post March 07, 2015, 06:07:04 PM
by Aquamaid

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: