Ways To Prevent (or Reduce Likelihood Of) Fatal Accidents

Author Topic: Ways to prevent (or reduce likelihood of) fatal accidents  (Read 2974 times) 6 replies

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Ways to prevent (or reduce likelihood of) fatal accidents
« on: November 13, 2019, 05:18:16 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I find the worst fishkeeping deaths to experience are fatal accidents which in hindsight seem to have been preventable but were or could not be foreseen beforehand. A near-miss event which has just occurred, coupled with a fishkeeping video I happened to see recently of a well-renowned fishkeeper who herself experienced a seemingly unforeseen adverse event, made me think it might be wise to start a thread on people's experiences of these which others might learn from and so be able to prevent themselves.

Examples in my own experience, and potential solutions, include:

* fish which somehow get trapped between the back of the filter and the glass, despite the space seeming impossible for that to occur >
** (1) using plant-keeping tongs, I now tend to squeeze filter wool into any gaps around (above, below, at the sides, at the back of) the filter;
** (2) waterproof magnets for insertion in the filter and the outside of the aquarium glass [I had to contact a couple of magnet companies, who were very helpful in their advice and had not previously issued magnets for this purpose, and bought from there - but NB the magnets are extremely strong and they do understandably come with strong health warnings about potentially trapping fingers!].

* fish which inexplicably end up on the floor >
** (1) I have sometimes blocked up the cable holes with filter wool but this resulted in a pool of water around the tank resulting in me thinking I had a tank leak when in fact it was only the condensation spilled over the lip of the aquarium cover;
** (2) I am more careful now when removing decor at the start of a tank clean, by giving it a gentle but prolonged shake to release any inhabitants - one theory I had was that a neon green rasbora had been resting near the identical-coloured hornwort and hadn't time to disentangle itself to escape before I whisked the hornwort out of the tank.

* fish swimming into plant-keeping tongs or net or jug >
** (1) I tend to lower tongs into the tank in the closed position to reduce the possibility of fish getting between them. However, just now, I did so, only for a harlequin rasbora to dive between them just as I was closing them to lift out the offending item (a piece of fungused food) - this was somehow a near-miss experience, but I may need to re-consider this approach at all;
** (2) while some fish are fantastic at escaping nets or jugs, especially when the intention is to capture them, they seem to 'volunteer' to go in when the intention is to remove food or water respectively, so it's worth being extra careful to check before complete removal from the tank.

I'm sure that many other examples of mine will spring to mind later on, but thought this was helpful as a "starter for ten", and that others might care to add their own experiences and potential mitigators/solutions to this thread.

Offline Sue

Re: Ways to prevent (or reduce likelihood of) fatal accidents
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 07:39:45 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I would also add some of my own mishaps over the last 20 odd years.

Siphoning up fish during a water change. Shrimps cope with this with no problem, and some small fish seem unharmed by the experience. But I once got an apistogramma stuck in the siphon tube with fatal results, and I have torn off part of a betta's tail while siphoning.
The warning with this is to always be aware of where the fish are relative to the end of the siphon tube.

I also killed a fish while returning a washed filter to the tank. The filter in question sits in a bracket and was situated on the back wall of the tank where I had to stretch to reach. I was unaware that a stiphodon was sitting in the bracket when I placed the filter into it; I found it the following week, squashed flat. I now fan the bracket with my fingers before attaching the filter.
And squashed a pygmy cory by putting an ornament on top of it during a water change.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 11:18:34 PM »

...waterproof magnets for insertion in the filter and the outside of the aquarium glass [I had to contact a couple of magnet companies, who were very helpful in their advice and had not previously issued magnets for this purpose, and bought from there - but NB the magnets are extremely strong and they do understandably come with strong health warnings about potentially trapping fingers!].

I'm sure that many other examples of mine will spring to mind later on, but thought this was helpful as a "starter for ten", and that others might care to add their own experiences and potential mitigators/solutions to this thread.

Hi @fcmf

What an excellent idea for a thread! And I like your reference to the famous University Challenge catch-phrase. Oh, how I liked that programme in the Bamber Gascoigne days. Anyway, down to business...

I'd be interested in knowing the names of the magnet companies with which you were in contact. If they are powerful magnets, they will almost certainly use the rare-earth metal, neodymium. I have a need for such magnets.

JPC

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 05:51:07 AM »
This is a great idea for a thread! Doesn't look like it's been tagged @fcmf ?

I too have managed to squash a fish with decor. I'm not sue I've ever admitted to that before, it was a horrible experience knowing that if I had perhaps taken more time, it might not have happened. Lesson learnt... don't rush thinking that's better for the fish from a stress point of view... it was a type of apistogramma I've never seen since and left me with a female without a male.

Most of us on here will also be able to admit to having started in the hobby as I din with limited or no understanding of fishless cycling etc.  I believe the live plants I bought at the same time as my first dish probably saved the day , the fish were clearly not in a good way while the cycle progressed. I now know this to have been the reason of course, and that a poor filter choice would not have helped.

I see that there is new research out that suggests that plants are not only useful as a direct nitrate muncher themselves, but that they also carry a lot of the beneficial bacteria species we need in an established tank on their surfaces (dependant on source I would well imagine as they can be grown in a variety of ways). I have a few observations I might share separately in this space...

To finish on a positive though... I am quite proud of having successfully treated camallanus worms  in my tank. Correct and timely diagnosis, right medication etc etc.  Saved a tank of fish and makes me feel like a better fishkeeper against the above mistakes...

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 11:51:43 AM »
Hi Folks,

When I was raising 41 GBR fry, I was acutely aware of the risk of the heater 'sticking' in the ON position. And I wasn't prepared to take the risk. I'd read several accounts of this happening. It can happen with any type of heater - be it the bimetallic strip variety or the electronic variety. So, I invested in an InkBird ITC-308 Temperature Controller. The idea is to use this to monitor the tank water temperature with its temperature probe. So, in the event that the heater thermostat fails, the ITC-308 cuts power to the tank heater. At the same time, the ITC-308 sounds an alarm. It can also be connected to a cooler (remember August this year!). £30 well worth spending. Here it is on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inkbird-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat-Regulator/dp/B018K82UQU

There is a bit of a learning curve setting this unit up but YouTube has helpful guidance. Here's an example:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQAwbOm2dZU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQAwbOm2dZU</a>

JPC

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 06:50:44 PM »
I have also previously crushed a fish with decor. I was probably one of the fish deaths that upset me the most, as I knew that it was completely my fault.

It wasn't that long ago that I syphoned out a fish during tank maintenance. I was quite shaken up, but the dwarf puffer in question seemed completely unfazed by the whole thing. Now I have smaller shrimp in more than one tank, picking them out of the waste bucket is quite a common occurrence. In a planted tank it's not always easy to see small shrimp, so I find that an bright orange waste bucket makes it much easier to spot anything that needs to be put back into the tank.

I sometimes forget to turn the filter back on after feeding my axolotls, but they can breathe surface air too, so seeing them swim to the top tends to be an obvious reminder.

I've had heaters break, leaving a mudskipper tank unheated while away for a few days, and a similar situation with one of the South American tanks. Everyone survived on both occasions.

When I first considered getting fish I found this forum and used it as a guest. I found out about fishless cycling, and decided that was a must prior to getting my fish. I live in a hardwater area, and during the fishless cycle I saw a product called pH down at P@H. Not knowing much about water parameters & chemistry at the time, I decided to try this product. On adding the suggested amount to the tank the water went cloudy and didn't clear. The water was so hard the product precipitated out in the tank, and the whole thing had to be stripped down & the cycle restarted. I'm so glad that there were no fish in the tank for that episode.

I've rarely had to deal with fish on the floor. Even my hatchets haven't jumped out of their tanks. I have had to rescue a hillstream loach and an amano shrimp on separate occasions, when removing decor from tanks. I know have a large plastic jug which I keep for this sort of thing. I'm more careful about checking decor for inhabitants, but also have said jug at the top of the tank and place the decor in it, which catches anything that I've not noticed on the decor, and avoids chasing anything around the carpet.

One day I'll also manage to perform tank maintenance without spilling water on myself and/or the floor.  :rotfl:

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 09:03:02 PM »
Spilling water... yes... I've ruined 2 oak cabinets by putting tanks on them... :-[

Tags: amz50 

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Ways to prevent (or reduce likelihood of) fatal accidents"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
16 Replies
Last post September 15, 2016, 08:47:55 PM
by fcmf
1 Replies
Last post February 27, 2017, 05:13:25 PM
by Sue
13 Replies
Last post July 23, 2017, 10:33:48 PM
by Helen

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: