Author Topic: Water parameters  (Read 2805 times) 8 replies

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Water parameters
« on: December 20, 2019, 02:11:43 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I kNow this has been asked before but wanted to double check on things. Measured the water out the tap and got the following readings

PH 7.0 (could be 6.8 to 7.2, just hard to tell)

KH 4 drops which equates to 71.6 ppm

GH 7 drops which equates to 125.3ppm

As a general thought, are there any fish I shouldn't keep? According to Seriously fish, hardness for guppys (which I think is the GH reading) is 143ppm upwards so they wouldn't suit my water.

Also how do I work out my DH?

As a side note, have removed my Juwel filter and giving tank a good clean before the aquascaping starts.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
Re: Water parameters
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 03:21:32 PM »
Hi @barneyadi

I haven't been following all your posts - so my response here is to this thread only. With that caveat in mind:

According to your water parameters, you have water that would be suitable for softwater fish. Seriously Fish will give you the information that you need to select fish for these water conditions. But, if you particularly want to keep guppies, you could increase the GH. And it wouldn't harm to raise the KH to, say, 110 ppm. Doing this would increase pH a tad but, again, that wouldn't be a problem. You would have to make sure that the water used for water changes was given the same additive. One possible product is JBL Aquadur. In time, we can advise how to increase KH and GH without having to purchase commercial preparations.

What do you mean by DH? Are you referring to dH, i.e. (German) degrees hardness? If so, you already have this information.

I'd like to ask a few questions for my benefit - just in case you've mentioned it elsewhere.

[1] Did you use a tap water conditioner to remove chlorine, etc?

[2] Have you 'cycled' your tank in preparation for adding fish to your tank?

[3] What is your water temperature?

[4] What filtration are you using?

That'll do for now!

JPC

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 03:25:46 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Also how do I work out my DH?
DH = German degrees hardness = dGH = GH
ppm = CaCO3
https://www.thinkfish.co.uk/calculators/hardness-conversion From this, you'll see how you you can equate one to the other.

Hope that helps.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 03:44:16 PM »
Hi @barneyadi

I haven't been following all your posts - so my response here is to this thread only. With that caveat in mind:

According to your water parameters, you have water that would be suitable for softwater fish. Seriously Fish will give you the information that you need to select fish for these water conditions. But, if you particularly want to keep guppies, you could increase the GH. And it wouldn't harm to raise the KH to, say, 110 ppm. Doing this would increase pH a tad but, again, that wouldn't be a problem. You would have to make sure that the water used for water changes was given the same additive. One possible product is JBL Aquadur. In time, we can advise how to increase KH and GH without having to purchase commercial preparations.

What do you mean by DH? Are you referring to dH, i.e. (German) degrees hardness? If so, you already have this information.

I'd like to ask a few questions for my benefit - just in case you've mentioned it elsewhere.

[1] Did you use a tap water conditioner to remove chlorine, etc?

[2] Have you 'cycled' your tank in preparation for adding fish to your tank?

[3] What is your water temperature?

[4] What filtration are you using?

That'll do for now!

JPC

Hi, I always get confused with DH. I take it GH is the DH?

Will leave guppies for now, simpler the better for me to be honest.

I have two tanks, one is running and the other isn't. Plan is to get other one up and running using an Oase Internal filter, and aquascape and plant it. Will use media from other tank to get Oase filter going, transfer fish over and then work on other tank. Current tank temperature I use is 26 degrees. But with two tanks I could run at different temperatures for different fish. Always use a water dechlorinator.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 04:03:29 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Yes, DH is GH.  :D

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2019, 07:14:09 PM »
GH stands for general hardness, the name of the parameter.
dH stands for degrees of hardness, and is a unit of measurement of hardness. It is also called German degrees or just degrees.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2019, 07:28:16 PM »
Yes, DH is GH.  :D

Hi @fcmf

I don't believe I've ever come across the term 'DH', i.e. with a capital 'D'. Sometimes, the lower case 'd' is used to denote degrees. And, of course, it is further complicated by the use of 'D' to denote German degrees as in Deutschland. Then, there's 'TH' for Total Hardness. Plus, dKH and dGH for degrees alkalinity/carbonate hardness and degrees General Hardness, respectively. Best to stick with ppm.

JPC

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2019, 07:43:56 PM »
Will leave guppies for now, simpler the better for me to be honest.

Hi @barneyadi

Probably wise. A lot of Guppies breed like rabbits Guppies. Another name for Guppies is 'Millions Fish' - no doubt for very good reason!

JPC

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2019, 08:04:00 PM »
I much prefer the German degrees or dGH than ppm. I am pretty sure I don't know all the correct ways to say or write it, but am much more comfortable with that number than the ppm. It is what I have always used  :)

Hi @fishtales

Then stay with dGH. To be honest, I probably use dGH (and dKH) more often than not. But, ppm is possibly less ambiguous. Better the devil you know... ;)

JPC

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Water parameters"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post December 17, 2012, 01:12:19 PM
by ColR1948
12 Replies
Last post April 24, 2013, 02:24:08 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post May 11, 2013, 08:35:30 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post August 14, 2013, 11:18:17 PM
by Resa
5 Replies
Last post May 24, 2014, 01:58:05 PM
by Sue
10 Replies
Last post November 15, 2016, 07:29:20 AM
by Richard W
5 Replies
Last post December 21, 2016, 01:23:57 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: