Author Topic: Water Hardness totally confused  (Read 4502 times) 26 replies

Offline Marcus_F

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
Water Hardness totally confused
« on: April 21, 2020, 10:57:33 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi,

I'm trying to work out the hardness of my water and the level it should be for certain fish but I'm getting a bit confused.

I've done the API test with the drops and it came out as

Hardness test delivered so now have results. It's the API test.

KH 12 drops
GH 11 drops

The table didnt make much sense to me on the paperwork if I'm honest.  You have two different values but the table converts them the same is that right?  KH and GH both multiplied by 17.9 to get ppm?

I've now looked at hardness conversion and despite knowing I have very hard water, the conversion is saying i've no issues and all fish are in range.

I'm totally confused as I was trying to work out how much RO water I needed to start adding to soften water and bring PH down but I've got it as zero needed which I know is wrong.

How do you read the drop count from the API tests?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Rosy Tetra (2) - Cardinal Tetra (10) - Cherry Barb (7) - Black Widow Tetra (4) - Pearl Danio (1) - Zebra Danio (3) - Otocinclus (2) - Penguin Tetra (4) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (4) - X-ray Tetra (4) - Penguin Tetra (4) - Black Widow Tetra (5) - Bloodfin Tetra (5) - Cherry Barb (5) - Golden Barb (5) - White Cloud Mountain Minnow (5) - Black Neon Tetra (5) - Otocinclus (6) - Dwarf Gourami (4) - Galaxy Rasbora (4) - Harlequin Rasbora (8) - Blue Tetra (5) - Cardinal Tetra (10) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Rosy Tetra (2) - Cherry Barb (8) - Bloodfin Tetra (6) - Harlequin Rasbora (8) - Penguin Tetra (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Water Hardness totally confused
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 11:10:08 AM »
With the API tests, the number of drops for both GH and KH give the value in dH. So your GH is 11 dH and your KH is 12 dH. The conversion factor of 17.9 is for both GH and KH to convert from dH to ppm.
GH and KH ranges in fish profiles are given in either dH or ppm and your 11 dH  for GH converts to 197 ppm and 12 dH for KH converts to 215 ppm.

GH is the most important parameter for fish. KH is only important to stabilise pH so doesn't impact fish directly. pH is also important but it can be outside a species' range provided GH is well within it.

The table in the instructions is a rather inaccurate list of fish they think can be kept at certain hardness levels (inaccurate as, for example, they say livebearers need 100 to 200 ppm but they actually need over 200 ppm with some species needing over 250 ppm; and the table might lead some to think that marine fish just need hard water not salt water!) Ignore this table, and look up fish on a reliable website to see what the hardness range for any species is. Fish should be kept in water with a hardness around the middle of their range.

Your tap water hardness is too hard for those species which need very soft water but too soft for hard water fish. However there are species which will do fine at your hardness.
But if you want to keep fish which need softer water than your tap water, you will need to mix your tap water with RO. The amount will depend on which fish.
It is possible that using RO to reduce GH will have no effect on pH; ignore the pH level and go by GH.

If you tell us which fish you want to keep, we can tell you if you need to use RO water or whether they would be OK in your tap water.

Offline Marcus_F

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 11:56:46 AM »
ok that makes sense in look at GH only for the time being and fish requirements.

So I've been told my water is very hard, but 215ppm doesnt seem too high from what readings I have seen from people.

The fish I want or have should I say are:

Cherry Barbs
Dwarf Neon Rainbow
Penguin Tetra
Cardinal Tetra
Black Widow Tetra

So Cardinal Tetra look to be the ones which require the softer water at 215ppm max but now it's saying I'm in range but I was convinced I was in a Very Hard area. 

I'll retest I think GH to make sure.

Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Rosy Tetra (2) - Cardinal Tetra (10) - Cherry Barb (7) - Black Widow Tetra (4) - Pearl Danio (1) - Zebra Danio (3) - Otocinclus (2) - Penguin Tetra (4) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (4) - X-ray Tetra (4) - Penguin Tetra (4) - Black Widow Tetra (5) - Bloodfin Tetra (5) - Cherry Barb (5) - Golden Barb (5) - White Cloud Mountain Minnow (5) - Black Neon Tetra (5) - Otocinclus (6) - Dwarf Gourami (4) - Galaxy Rasbora (4) - Harlequin Rasbora (8) - Blue Tetra (5) - Cardinal Tetra (10) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Rosy Tetra (2) - Cherry Barb (8) - Bloodfin Tetra (6) - Harlequin Rasbora (8) - Penguin Tetra (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 12:16:33 PM »
Words are not a good way to look at hardness. My tap water is classed by my water company is 'slightly hard' but at GH 5 dH, it is actually soft in fish keeping terms. This is why we always ask for numbers rather than words when we ask for hardness.

Cherry barb - 2 to 20 dH (36 to 357 ppm)
Dwarf neon rainbow - 5 to 15 dH (90 to 268 ppm)
Penguin tetra - up to 20 dH (358 ppm)
Cardinal tetra 1 to 12 dH (18 to 215 ppm) with wild caught fish needing nearer the lower end
Black widow tetra 5 to 20 dH (90 to 358 ppm)

The only one to be careful of is cardinal tetras; even commercially bred fish have your tap water hardness right at the top of their range and fish should be kept with GH near the middle of their range. But mixing three quarters tap with one quarter RO would reduce your hardness to around 8 to 9 dH which would be better.

Offline Marcus_F

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 12:26:50 PM »
This is making more sense, thanks.  8 - 9 seems right and 25% RO is more manageable than 50%.

How do you go about starting it off with RO.  Obviously it will just be water changes but I read you have to be careful but I've not found instructions of timeframe.

Originally I thought 10% RO when changing 35litres a week.  Was going to do this for 3 weeks (3 changes) and then up it to 20% for another 3 weeks. and so on until I'm at 50% but that might sound too aggressive.

Now I only need to get to 25% RO mix, maybe I can start at 10% but maybe leave it at that value for longer, say 6 weeks.  Then up to 20% for a few weeks and then finally move to 5%.

Is that again too aggressive?  Don't want to make the changes too quick for the fish.

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 12:33:32 PM »
Make up the tap/RO mix at the level you want to aim for, then do 25% water changes every few days. Once the tank water tests at the same GH as the mixture, you can do weekly 50%+ water changes with the mix.

Don't forget that you won't be able to do water changes using all tap water, so make sure there is always some RO available for emergency water changes (eg sick fish, something gets in the tank that shouldn't be there etc)

Offline Marcus_F

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 12:39:24 PM »
Oh right 25% right away, hadn't thought I could be that big a change outright.

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 12:50:19 PM »
You want to reduce the GH by 4 dH at most.

If you do a 25% water change using water at 7 dH instead of 11 dH, it will drop the hardness by 1 dH. (Those numbers just make it easier to do the calculation  ;) if you use 8 or 9 dH it will drop the tank hardness less than that)

Offline Marcus_F

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2020, 12:59:51 PM »
All makes perfect sense, thanks :)

Offline Marcus_F

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2020, 08:20:45 PM »
ok so a retest now I know what I'm doing gave me a GH of  drops so 232ppm if I multiple by 17.9.  Now I'm confident of this.

I also tested my newly acquired water from spotlesswater.co.uk and it was pale green first drop so as expected nothing in the water.

This is where my calculations get a bit hazy haha.  I added, 12 litres of spotless water, and 24 litres of my tap water which goes through the Pozzani filter to remove very high nitrate.

Tested this mix and it was 11 drops.  I was expecting 9.  So it's decreased but not by quite as much as I had thought.  Not entirely sure what has happened there, is it possible the water didnt mix although even I can't imagine how that could happen.

I can test my tank, 165 litres so now has 36 litres of my mix in it.  Think that means by my calculations, it was a 22% water change (rounding up) of which 33% of that 22% was RO so I should read 7% drop of 13 which means I might see green on the test at drop 12 but it could easily remain at 13 haha. 

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2020, 10:07:15 AM »
I think it's going to be a case of trial and error. Experiment in a bucket. Measure some tap water into the bucket, then add what you think is the right amount of RO, give it a good stir then wait half an hour and test it. If necessary, add a bit more RO, stir wait and test. As long as you measure the amounts of tap and RO that go into the bucket, you'll know what ratio to use to get the GH you want.
Aim to get the GH in the bucket at the level you want the tank to end up at, then use that level for water changes to slowly drop the tank GH.

Offline Marcus_F

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2020, 10:22:27 AM »
ok so it's not an exact science that 50/50 RO and Tap will result in a 50% drop? 

The tank has now dropped 1GH as expected and attempted.

Offline Sue

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2020, 04:34:22 PM »
In theory it is an exact science, but our test kits are not state of the art and there is the possibility for error to creep in. For example, when using drops to measure reagent, can we be certain that every drop is actually the same size? If we were using expensive lab equipment it would be different.

Get the GH at the target level with your tester, then use that ratio of tap to RO at every water change. It doesn't matter if the tester is slightly off, it is consistency that is important for the fish.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2020, 10:45:38 PM »
Hi @Marcus_F

The only thing I would add to the instructions by @Sue is to keep an eye on KH to ensure that it doesn't drop below 4dKH. I hope @Sue doesn't mind my mentioning this. If KH falls below 4dKH, there is an increasing risk of what is known as a 'pH crash'. At this point, the pH can fall to well under 7.0 and this can affect both fish and nitrifying bacteria. It is advisable to maintain pH at no less than 6.0. pH crashes do happen - I know from my experience.

JPC

Offline Sue

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2020, 01:48:22 PM »
Thanks for the reminder. I know from personal experience as well.

Since GH and KH are virtually the same, if GH is above 4 ppm  dH, KH should also be above 4 ppm  dH, but it is worth checking to make sure.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2020, 07:08:15 PM »
Thanks for the reminder. I know from personal experience as well.

Since GH and KH are virtually the same, if GH is above 4 ppm, KH should also be above 4 ppm, but it is worth checking to make sure.

Hi @Sue

I suspect you meant to write 4dGH and 4dKH, not ppm?

JPC

Offline Sue

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2020, 08:31:50 PM »
Ooops. Quite right. I've edited the post.

Offline Marcus_F

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2020, 01:43:53 PM »
Thanks, read about the PH Crash and KH above 4.0.  Would the KH drop by 9KH if the GH has only dropped 3?

Am testing it all, not sure how soon after water changes I can test GH, KH and PH of tank?  I’ve been leaving it 6hours to settle down.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2020, 04:16:16 PM »
Thanks, read about the PH Crash and KH above 4.0.  Would the KH drop by 9KH if the GH has only dropped 3?

Am testing it all, not sure how soon after water changes I can test GH, KH and PH of tank?  I’ve been leaving it 6hours to settle down.

Hi @Marcus_F

It is unlikely that KH would drop by 9dKH if the GH has only dropped by 3dGH. But, they are measurements of different compounds in the water. That's why both measurements have to be done separately. It can backfire on anyone to make assumptions about water chemistry. There's much more to H2O than meets the eye!

But, you're doing great. It can all be a bit overwhelming initially. Hang on in there and you'll have one of those Eureka! moments when everything falls into place.

JPC  :)

Offline Marcus_F

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2020, 04:50:22 PM »
Thanks @jaypeecee and @Sue I think i'm getting there.

Today's tank reading GH 11 and KH 9, I'm aiming for GH of 9 and it's dropping 1GH a change when I do 25% so it's getting there.  Will start to pay careful attention to KH as that has dropped one more than GH.

Tested my PH and I cant read the colour.  Firstly I thought I could get away with normal PH test and it came out at 7.6 but in then testing using high range which I've had to do prior to my water work it's not really any of the colours so I'm not sure.

Posted a pic, what do you reckon is the closest reading?

Untitled by Marcus Fellerman, on Flickr

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Water Hardness totally confused"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post July 25, 2014, 12:33:44 PM
by cavorite
1 Replies
Last post July 29, 2014, 01:46:23 PM
by ColinB
10 Replies
Last post August 16, 2014, 05:59:11 PM
by Fiona
14 Replies
Last post October 05, 2014, 10:44:35 AM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post June 01, 2015, 03:38:25 PM
by Extreme_One
3 Replies
Last post January 22, 2018, 04:48:24 PM
by Littlefish
6 Replies
Last post July 31, 2018, 09:44:14 AM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: