To Decorate Or Not To Decorate

Author Topic: To decorate or not to decorate  (Read 3310 times) 15 replies

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
To decorate or not to decorate
« on: January 27, 2020, 04:32:37 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Before I got my tank, two years ago now, I really should have decorated the living room before setting it up.  :vcross: However, here we are two years later and I've still not decorated and believe me it was quite a few years before I got my tank that I did decorate :yikes: (apologies to those who decorate every couple of years!)

I really should now, but I really don't want to!! And given the issues I had a Christmas I'm even more loathed to do anything that could upset the tank.

I can't bear the thought of having to totally empty it to move it and it could only be move about 15 feet into the kitchen which opens directly into the living room anyway!

I've heard some folk move with just some water at the bottom but I think the tank might be too big for even that?

Is there any safe way? Could the tank be moved with the fish and some water (I've got wooden floors) and would moving only to the kitchen really make any different. I fear I might need to forego decorating for some years to come but I'd rather that than do someone that causes the gang harm.  :fishy1:

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Rummy Nose Tetra (16) - Harlequin Rasbora (14) - Panda Cory (3) - Fiveband Barb (14) - Pearl Gourami (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: To decorate or not to decorate
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 04:43:26 PM »
It is not safe to move a tank with any water in. The seams are made to be strong when stationary. As soon as you pick up the tank, any water will start to slosh around and this sloshing twists the seams and can lead to seam failure later on.

Sliding a board under the tank and carrying the board with the tank on top also makes it easier to lift without straining the seams, if that is possible with your tank.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 05:46:59 PM »
Hi @Lynne W

This may seem like a silly question but why do you need to move the tank? What are your concerns? Paint fumes? Painting behind the tank/cabinet? Replacing the carpet?

JPC

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 05:55:55 PM »
Hi @Lynne W

...apologies to those who decorate every couple of years!

Every couple of years! The paint's only just nicely dried by then!  :rotfl:

JPC

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 06:13:22 PM »
Hi @Lynne W

...apologies to those who decorate every couple of years!
Every couple of years! The paint's only just nicely dried by then!  :rotfl:
JPC

Couldn't agree more!  :cheers:

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 06:42:15 PM »
Hi @Lynne W

This may seem like a silly question but why do you need to move the tank? What are your concerns? Paint fumes? Painting behind the tank/cabinet? Replacing the carpet?

JPC

Hiya, it's paint fumes, I'd happily not paint behind the tank, if I thought the paint fumes wouldn't harm them. So I was assuming to be safe I'd need to get the tank out of the room.

Rummy Nose Tetra (16) - Harlequin Rasbora (14) - Panda Cory (3) - Fiveband Barb (14) - Pearl Gourami (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 07:20:13 PM »
Hi @Lynne W

JPC

Hiya, it's paint fumes, I'd happily not paint behind the tank, if I thought the paint fumes wouldn't harm them. So I was assuming to be safe I'd need to get the tank out of the room.

Hi @Lynne W

OK, that makes sense. But, it would appear that some companies produce 'Zero VOC Paints'. No, I didn't know about these until now. I discovered the following:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2009/feb/09/eco-natural-paints-guide-best

https://www.ecospaints.net

https://www.little-knights.co.uk/pages/voc-free-paint

https://earthbornpaints.co.uk/faq/are-earthborn-paints-voc-free/

I'll certainly consider switching to these new paint formulations in future.

Please keep us updated.

JPC

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 08:05:51 PM »
Probably won't be able to reply for a day or two but let me do so before you proceed - goldfish still experienced adverse reaction (lasted a week) even with these paints when used in the past.
[Edited to add: The posts below helpfully cover potential solutions to the problem I had.]

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2020, 08:13:41 PM »
My son has just moved into his new house and is horrified by the previous owners painting round the fridge rather than behind it and leaving a different coloured patch on his kitchen wall  ;)

If you really must not paint behind it  :) do it on a day when you can leave all the widows and doors open, preferably when there is also a breeze to blow through the room. Cover the tank with a thick blanket or towel. Run a small internal filter filled with carbon or Poly-Filter from before you start painting till a few days afterwards.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2020, 12:18:06 AM »
If you have an air pump you could run this with a long length of tubing from another room into the tank to ensure a constant supply of “good air”.

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2020, 06:51:22 PM »
thanks all @jaypeecee I'll do some reading up on these paints, I wasn't aware such a thing existed.

@fcmf I'll not be doing anything immediately need to work myself up to it! So I'll wait to hear from you.

I can do the small internal filter @Sue and I'm going to get the poly-filter, but @Matt I don't have a air pump but I'll happily get one to help matters so would I feed the air into the water or just into the space under the lid, or does it not matter?

:cheers:

PS I may always chicken out, not a fan of decorating so at least now I've got a valid excuse!!

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2020, 07:37:15 PM »
Your last comment sounds like me  ;D

Over the last few years we have been updating our home. The dining room was re-wallpapered and painted while I was waiting for my custom built tank to be made, so that's not a problem, but the carpet is ancient. I would have to move the tank, but where to? We've replaced every other carpet in the house in the last 2 years and there is no way I'd be allowed to put a 180 litre tank made from 10 mm glass, plus all the water and the cabinet onto a new carpet. The only room left is the kitchen, and there's no space in there. So a new dining room carpet will have to wait  :-\

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2020, 08:03:34 PM »
You can also use a layer of clingfilm over the top of the tank to make it as airtight as possible while painting & removing fumes. This does take a bit of effort and some sellotape, but it's just another layer of precaution.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2020, 08:08:04 PM »
Quote from: Lynne W link=topic=3925.msg47811#msg47811 [member=177046
Matt[/member] I don't have a air pump but I'll happily get one to help matters so would I feed the air into the water or just into the space under the lid, or does it not matter?

I imagined it going into the tank when I first thought of it but I think your right, it probably doesn’t matter much. I can see arguments for both to be honest but the additional oxygenation in the water probably wins out over other factors so I would probably choose to have an air stone in the water if I had the choice.

@Littlefish posted as I was typing this and I believe her idea is likely to be a better option for you if you don’t already have an air pump.

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2020, 09:08:32 PM »
Great stuff guys sounds like cunning plan taking shape, I'm liable to go overboard and take on board all your comments, won't get round to it still the weather gets a bit better, it's a bit cold just now to have windows and doors open, had snow today!

Hopefully I'll be able to get a similar colour to what we've got now which is pretty neutral so it won't be too obvious if anyone was to look behind the tank @Sue just don't tell your son  :D although the chances of me ever moving is exceedingly unlikely, so it's only you guys that'll know my secret  :rotfl:

Bit of planning ahead, but nothing like what @Littlefish you had to do for your move, I'll let you all know how I get on when I finally get round to it.

Thanks again all.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2020, 09:20:51 PM »
We promise not to tell.  :rotfl:

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: