Author Topic: Testing kits - a cautionary tale  (Read 2843 times) 11 replies

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Testing kits - a cautionary tale
« on: August 31, 2020, 01:40:54 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Ordinarily, I carefully fill, swill and empty each vial 3-5 times with a strong flow from the tap, then approx 5 times on a weaker flow, then leave the vials out to dry. I now have 3 test kits of the same brand, and admittedly the vials for each have not been kept with the respective test kit. I never thought anything of this until yesterday.
Since the merger of main and quarantine tank inhabitants, I'm doing daily water tests for the foreseeable future just to ensure that all is well and the merged media is doing as it should. Imagine my horror when, although ammonia and nitrite were clearly at the lowest possible reading, the nitrate level was not at its usual second-lowest or somewhere between second- and third-lowest reading (1-5ppm) but 140ppm! Horrified, I left the vial to the side and used another - 20ppm. I did the same for a third vial - 1ppm. Three different readings for the same sample of water. [I couldn't even cross-check with the nitrite/nitrate strips as they're the strangest I've ever come across for nitrates (a poor and much-regretted impulse purchase), giving a dark grey shade instead of somewhere on a scale of light grey through various shades of pink to dark pink.]
Thankfully, all was fine later on and again this morning, with 0 for two tests of tap water and 1-5 (closer to 1, for sure) for three tests of tank water. At this rate of multiple tests, I'm going to have my test kit used up very swiftly!
I can only assume that, somewhere along the line, the seemingly dry vials had the residue of a previous test, possibly even for ammonia or nitrite in it, accounting for the bizarre readings.

Offline Sue

Re: Testing kits - a cautionary tale
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 01:59:00 PM »
I wash the tubes as soon as possible after using them - I have found that nitrite in particular leaves a residue if left for any length of time before washing.

My method is:
Fill and empty the tube three times with cold water. Half fill and shake vigorously four times. Leave to stand upside down while I wash any other tubes.
Wash lids by holding under a stream of cold water. Leave the lids to stand.
Hold a paper tissue by one corner and twist the tissue then push it down into the tube and twist it round so all the moisture is removed. One corner can dry two tubes, then use the opposite corner to dry two more and the middle of the tissue dries the lids.

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 04:58:12 PM »
I doubt an unseen residue can give a reading of 140. I’d say it’s more likely that your nitrate kit is on the way out. Do you bang it on the table before use?

I rinse my vials twice. Whatever is left after that isn’t enough to affect a reading.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 05:35:13 PM »
I think Sue might have hit on the issue in something she mentioned; I'm not convinced I've been thoroughly cleaning the lids - I tend to hold all 3 in one hand, moving my hand across and back under the flow of water and its altogether possible that one may have escaped being rinsed thoroughly. Either way, I'll be more thorough in future and use paper tissue too.

My new nitrate testing kit was only opened on 1st June and its expiry date is Aug 2021, so I doubt that's the issue. I don't bang it on the table pre-use but do give it* a shake as I sometimes find a half drop comes out rather than a full drop. [* = only 1 bottle (plus powder) in this kit; previous kits had 3 bottles plus powder.]

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 07:34:20 PM »
Shaking isn’t enough. You need to literally bang it on a hard surface to dislodge the flakey solid deposit on the bottom. Otherwise after a while you’ll get false readings.

:)

Offline fcmf

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 10:44:15 PM »
...and this is definitely all nitrate test kits & not just API? My previous ones were Waterlife and current one JBL.

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2020, 12:27:35 PM »
It’s the #2 reagent of all of them. One of the ingredients doesn’t like being in there, and precipitates out as a solid on the internal surface of the bottle. It needs to be dislodged, then shaken.

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2020, 10:33:33 AM »
I have looked at the JBL tester and it appears that the equivalent of API #2 is not a liquid, it's a powder so it can't be shaken before adding it to the tube. Some brands have sulphanilamide/sulphanilic acid in solution which needs to have that bottle shaken very well; other's have it as a powder.

From the safety data sheets of the API and JBL nitrate testers:
API bottle #1, liquid - hydrochloric acid
API bottle #2, liquid - polyethylene glycol, sulfanilamide

JBL bottle #1, powder - tartaric acid, sulphanilic acid, zinc powder
JBL bottle #2, liquid - hydrochloric acid

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2020, 01:02:00 PM »
I should have done a bit of research shouldn’t I? I tend not to use a nitrate kit these days, and haven’t looked into them for a long time. I think it would just be accurate to say that any that need to be shaken would also benefit from being banged against an immovable object a few times.

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2020, 01:17:14 PM »
It is good advice for any nitrate tester which has all liquid bottles  :)

Whenever I've tested for nitrate - rarely- with an API tester, I do bang bottle #2 on the worktop first then shake the bottle for longer than the instructions say.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2020, 01:58:11 PM »
Thanks, Sue - that's very helpful indeed.
On the basis of that, I decided to have a look to see what the ingredients were for Waterlife's nitrate kit (powder plus 3 liquid bottles) which I've previously used, but their website isn't functioning.
Anyway, this whole discussion (thanks, both) has helpfully confirmed for me that:
* I'll be more thorough in my cleaning regime, esp of the vials' lids, and in my drying regime (proactive with kitchen paper rather than passive air-drying);
* I'll continue with nitrate tests that have the sulphanilamide/sulphanilic acid in powder form, as shaking a bottle to the extent required is not feasible for me and banging a bottle off a table more than likely to result in a nasty incident or domino effect of incidents given my accident-prone tendencies from the most innocuous of activities.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2020, 08:31:39 PM »
Hi Folks,

Very interesting thread. I seem to recall that one of the API Nitrate reagents needed some serious agitation in order to get a reliable result. Useful to see which chemistry the API and JBL test kits use.

JPC

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Testing kits - a cautionary tale"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post September 25, 2012, 03:51:23 PM
by Murf
1 Replies
Last post February 18, 2014, 07:44:56 AM
by Robert
9 Replies
Last post November 14, 2014, 12:29:02 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post March 06, 2015, 11:28:58 AM
by fishcake76
9 Replies
Last post July 27, 2016, 03:38:29 PM
by Evolution Stu
3 Replies
Last post August 07, 2016, 03:12:09 PM
by Carlton07
7 Replies
Last post August 27, 2018, 11:19:52 AM
by Lynne W

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: