Author Topic: Tank tyrant  (Read 2334 times) 7 replies

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Tank tyrant
« on: June 01, 2020, 04:12:07 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Wee Harley has turned into a tank tyrant. 

A few weeks ago, I noticed a missing section of the bottom of her caudal fin which must have been (inadvertently, I presume) bitten off by a cardinal during feeding time.  This grew back well and without problem, although her caudal fin is no longer spread out – but I put this down to the first signs of her ageing.

Possibly in connection with this, I’d noticed her chasing one of the female cardinals (not the one who died) and occasionally the others recently but this seems to have got worse since one of the female cardinals died – rather than the two female cardinals fighting over food, Wee Harley is now fighting with the remaining female cardinal (battling/scuffling) and relentlessly pursuing her *and* the other 3 cardinals round the tank, as though she no longer wants them in her area of the tank under the filter.  I’m wondering if she might even have been involved in the other female cardinal’s death although the venom seems to have been more between her and the remaining female cardinal plus the little male that's turned pale. The neon green rasbora is out of their way as he tends to inhabit the other side and higher echelons of the tank. 

I’ve tried moving silk plants around, including putting one right in the centre of her usual spot, but this has made no difference. I’m reluctant to add décor or silk plants as I don’t want the live plants shaded more than necessary but I’m beginning to wonder if my only other option might be to isolate her in the QT?  The environment won’t be as enriching, and there’s a possibility it may have to be used for the pale cardinal if he deteriorates (although maybe he’ll improve if Wee Harley is out of the way).

Any thoughts?

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
Re: Tank tyrant
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 06:24:50 PM »
I’d say displacement behaviour, from the lack of a shoal...

Offline fcmf

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 06:45:52 PM »
I can understand that in theory but in practice she was never fully involved in the shoal. As a youngster, she tended to do her own thing and often befriended a pygmy cory before "taking up" with Little Harley who was of similar smaller stature, while the 4 larger harlies hung around in a group of 4. Following Little Harley's sudden death in Nov 2018, she has been on her own, as much or more time with the others as/than with her own species. She did watch Bendy Harley in the isolation tank 2' away for the couple of months he was in there but was in her own in the main tank. Certainly during those two months when she was on her own in the main tank, there was no problem (unless she still thought of herself as in a shoal by seeing his presence). I wonder if, by hanging around in the midst of the cardinals, she thinks she's one of them and is attempting to re-establish the hierarchy in that shoal.  ???

Unfortunately, at this stage, I won't be getting any more harlequins, much as I loved them all.

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 07:38:38 PM »
Unfortunately the only advice I can give is to either time in QT which you’ve mentioned or buying more Harlies to re group and maybe trigger more natural behaviour.

In a few weeks I’ll be posting a review of my trip to a local fish store but interestingly while I was there I saw a group of Ember Tetras and a single Harlie which seemed to be almost a tetra in camouflage.  :)) obviously I understand your situation where you may not want to buy anymore Harlies.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Pygmy Cory (6) - Sparkling Gourami (1) - Ember Tetra (10) - Marbled Hatchetfish (6) - Cardinal Tetra (12) - Sterbas Cory (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 02:28:42 PM »
Quarantine tank sounds sensible to me too... ordinarily it might be worth offering him up to local fishkeeping friends with harlies too but perhaps not so sensible given the current pandemic...

Offline fcmf

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 04:27:56 PM »
Oh good grief - I couldn't ever give a fish away. :yikes:  I'm a "'til death do us part" fishkeeper.  However, she is trying my patience, and matters haven't been helped that the isolation tank option is now no longer viable for other reasons. ::) Thankfully, the situation is not as vicious as it was yesterday.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 08:06:07 PM »
I'm with @fcmf  here. I would also struggle to consider returning a fish to a shop.
Getting to the last few fish of a shoal is a difficult time. In the past I've sometimes restocked, but there have also been times when there has been a last survivor in a community tank.
Do you take a fish back and worry about them going from a tank with lots of decor to a bare tank? How would the fish deal with the multiple medications often used at shops? How would they cope with going to a tank full of other fish?
I find it difficult with a fish I've had for a long time, and tend to leave it where it is, in an environment it's been in for a while.
Funnily enough I didn't the same issues when my bristlenose plecs produced a few rounds of eggs and I took the youngsters to the shop a few years ago, so perhaps that makes me a massive hypocrite.
It's just weird how attached you can get to some fish.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2020, 04:16:37 PM »
Exactly. Furthermore, there's still the lone neon green rasbora in that tank with the curved spine round the caudal peduncle area. I had thought this might have been caused by her enjoying riding the current at a certain angle and compensatory swimming for the angle she tilts at when doing so. However, the PFK expert who replied to my e-mail several months ago did say that was unlikely and that, if there was TB* in the tank and I wasn't prepared to cull (which I absolutely couldn't do even if it was definitively TB), then to wait until all affected specimens had died and the tank was clear and symptom-free before considering any restocking.
[* No way of knowing for certain without a post-mortem if the fish with the distorted spines have died of TB or not - the elderly ones' emaciation and distorted spines may equally be accounted for by old age, although that wouldn't account for ~half the neon green rasboras' deaths of this. The lone neon green rasbora is much too active to be moved into the small QT for isolation purposes, and we simply do not have the space for a larger tank or indeed even the QT now.)]

Anyway, on a separate note, pleased to report that Wee Harley has settled down again.  She does seem to think she's one of the cardinals - certainly more related to them than the lone neon green rasbora ::) - so I reckon her escalated diva-like behaviour was a re-establishment of the pecking order among them following the death of the large female cardinal last week.

It's just weird how attached you can get to some fish.
Absolutely. In fact, I'm semi-glad that Wee Harley hasn't been as angelic as she had been for the past 5 years. She'd always been my tank favourite as she'd been so good with the other fish and I was dreading when she would pass away. Then I developed a very strong bond with Bendy Harley during the time he lived in the isolation tank. My heart still hurts from losing him last month. I'm hoping that, by Wee Harley being not-so-perfect lately, it might make her passing less painful when the time comes!

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Tank tyrant"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
8 Replies
Last post April 07, 2014, 05:40:47 PM
by Christine Snape
3 Replies
Last post June 18, 2014, 10:11:16 AM
by SueH
3 Replies
Last post June 21, 2014, 10:52:10 AM
by Sue
31 Replies
Last post December 22, 2014, 10:11:22 AM
by AndreaC
18 Replies
Last post March 07, 2015, 06:07:04 PM
by Aquamaid
10 Replies
Last post August 30, 2015, 03:37:14 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post December 30, 2017, 01:19:11 PM
by Rustle

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: