Author Topic: Tank support  (Read 3613 times) 7 replies

Offline Roseyfish

• Fish Fry
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Tank support
« on: May 16, 2014, 02:10:39 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi,

I am not actually a new member, despite the user name, last time I was Fishcake76 but my account got barred - something to do with spam accounts?!!

Anyway,  I have a new tank. A Superfish panorama 60 (55 litres) and I have a question about where I intend to put it.

I've attached some photos (hopefully!!) of it but wondered if you all thought the over hang at the front is ok or if I should try to get it fully supported.  The over hang is about 2 inches.

The glass is not in contact with the work top but there is a black frame around the edges and across the middle that is fully in contact and does not extend under the over hang anyway (hope this makes sense!!)

What do you think??  Don't want to fill it until I'm sure.

Thanks,

Jo

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Assassin Snail (3) - Japonica Shrimp (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Ember Tetra (6) - Galaxy Rasbora (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Tank support
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 02:17:11 PM »
Unfortunately an overhang is a problem as the tank will most likely end up leaking if not actually cracking. The solution is to put something under it that is slightly bigger than the tank and let that overhang the worktop. It needs to be something strong (ie won't bend) and something that won't disintegrate if wet. Some type of wood is probably best; chipboard will go horrible if wet and I'm not sure about plywood.
Hopefully someone else will be able to suggest what to use.

Try contacting Robert (the admin) about your user name. There may be a way he can sort out how to go back to fishcake.

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 07:06:39 PM »
Although the overhang is relatively small, I would still avoid it - it will put undue pressure on areas of the tank that aren't designed for it. It may be fine but I wouldn't take the risk personally. Sue's suggestion is your best bet if you really want the tank there, but your difficulty would be finding something to go under the tank which doesn't look out of place - perhaps a piece of solid wood, carefully shaped to match the front curve of the tank and then coated with something to help prevent water damage (a varnish of some description)?

Offline Roseyfish

• Fish Fry
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 08:25:52 PM »
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has ever wall mounted a tank before? Is it even possible??

Thanks.

Assassin Snail (3) - Japonica Shrimp (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Ember Tetra (6) - Galaxy Rasbora (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline SteveS

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 03:14:43 AM »
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has ever wall mounted a tank before? Is it even possible??

Thanks.
:)) That's a good one! cheered me up no end.  :rotfl:

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 07:55:27 AM »
Well I wouldnt say its impossible but at the same time its certainly not a good thing to do or certainly not a easy or cheep thing to do and would almost certainly require a complete custom built ( probably ugly ) looking frame ,a builder and some serious remodeling of your home

Offline Roseyfish

• Fish Fry
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 10:12:13 AM »
Oh dear!!
I'm glad i cheered you up steve, at least i now know i have use in life!!!!!!

I didnt think the wall mounting was feasible either but you gotta ask!!!!!

Think i'll settle for my original plan and buy a stand!!!!!!!!
 :-[

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 10:37:44 AM »
Hi,

Thanks.
:)) That's a good one! cheered me up no end.  :rotfl:

I'm sure it could be done but like Chris says, it's would take some serious work, especially if you were intending to wall mount a 'standard' cuboid shaped tank as opposed to something commonly wall mounted like a TV because there would be a lot of weight held at distance from the wall - think about holding something heavy close to your body and then holding the same weight at arms length as a rough example of the impact.

Think i'll settle for my original plan and buy a stand!!!!!!!!
 :-[

Stick with it - when you've got your fishies swimming about you'll probably forget about the trouble you went through to get there!  :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Tank support"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
0 Replies
Last post December 11, 2012, 06:26:01 PM
by maz1
5 Replies
Last post December 16, 2012, 10:04:20 AM
by maz1
Our Tank

Started by pmalipha Gallery Showcase

1 Replies
Last post February 16, 2013, 04:58:24 PM
by ColinB
5 Replies
Last post April 09, 2013, 08:38:57 AM
by Sue
35 Replies
Last post May 28, 2013, 04:02:12 PM
by Resa
13 Replies
Last post June 09, 2013, 11:18:41 AM
by ColinB
8 Replies
Last post April 07, 2014, 05:40:47 PM
by Christine Snape

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: