Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Tank recommendations
« on: March 30, 2021, 04:04:29 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all

Does anyone have a small tank, 60 to 100 litre plus they could recommend. Lots of choice out there, All Pond Solutions, Aquael, Superfish etc and even some with just the tank.

Thanks

David

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Tank recommendations
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 05:18:55 PM »
If it were me, I'd opt for a rectangular tank ie more swimming room for the volume than a square or tall tank. Some of the 60L have a 60x30 footprint (2 ft length), but I'd advise the usual next size up of 76x30 footprint (2.5 ft) or 91cm (3 ft).

Personally, from reviews I've read, I'd avoid Boyu/All Pond Solutions (prone to problems incl leaks), but might opt for Interpet or Superfish in the more budget range, and Aquael or Eheim in the more middle range. Juwel and Fluval also have good reputations. I've been very happy with my Marina tank - Hagen Marina is the more budget end of Fluval.

Take a look at https://www.completeaquatics.co.uk/aquarium-accessories/aquarium-tanks-and-cabinets for inspiration.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 06:41:53 PM »
If it were me, I'd opt for a rectangular tank ie more swimming room for the volume than a square or tall tank. Some of the 60L have a 60x30 footprint (2 ft length), but I'd advise the usual next size up of 76x30 footprint (2.5 ft) or 91cm (3 ft).

Personally, from reviews I've read, I'd avoid Boyu/All Pond Solutions (prone to problems incl leaks), but might opt for Interpet or Superfish in the more budget range, and Aquael or Eheim in the more middle range. Juwel and Fluval also have good reputations. I've been very happy with my Marina tank - Hagen Marina is the more budget end of Fluval.

Take a look at https://www.completeaquatics.co.uk/aquarium-accessories/aquarium-tanks-and-cabinets for inspiration.

Thanks @fcmf

Limited on size, as got 4 tanks already and got something planned for new tank but definitely 60cm long is a must. Superfish or Aquael i have some of those on my list, not keen on their filters but could change it i suppose. Will have a further in depth look.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2021, 08:51:13 AM »
My interpet insight 64litre is quite nice though I changed the filter media from their usual to a big block of foam.

Interested to hear about the All Pond Solutions bad reviews - I always heard good things personally.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2021, 01:31:50 PM »
@Matt

I've got 2 external APS filters, and they are doing great, but looking at reviews for APS does seem a love/hate relationship with them.

Because i use biohome media been trying to find a internal filter that would hold enough of it but really struggling, although there is a interpet one i need to look into further. If i cant find one, was thinking open top but of course that brings it's own issues or it means cutting holes in lids, which i'm not sure you can or if best to do.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2021, 01:42:18 PM »
Interested to hear about the All Pond Solutions bad reviews - I always heard good things personally.
Check their reviews on Amazon rather than APS-specific sites - that's where I read some reviews. However, my recollections from browsing round various sites were of tank leaks, plus filters and heaters causing electric shocks and even (a) fire(s).

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2021, 02:36:28 PM »
@Matt
Because i use biohome media been trying to find a internal filter that would hold enough of it but really struggling, although there is a interpet one i need to look into further. If i cant find one, was thinking open top but of course that brings it's own issues or it means cutting holes in lids, which i'm not sure you can or if best to do.

Provided you put the media in a mesh bag you can likely install it in any filter I would think... or am I over simplifying??

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2021, 02:42:42 PM »
@Matt

Provided you put the media in a mesh bag you can likely install it in any filter I would think... or am I over simplifying??

It's more the amount, so 1kg of media is right for a 100 litre tank, 500g for a 50 litre one. The space in most internals is too small for that amount of media unfortunately.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2021, 03:59:56 PM »
Try the Interpet cf2 or try a modular internal corner filter which is extendable such as Oase BioPlus

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2021, 06:33:40 PM »
Maybe i'm looking at things the wrong way. I'm sure the filters will get rid of the ammonia and nitrite perfectly fine, will just need to keep an eye on the nitrates (which biohome keeps under control as well). Just need to cycle new tank as normal. And plants will help with nitrates as well if i remember correctly but best to plant after cycling i think. Correct me if i'm wrong @Matt or @Sue

Seem to remember reading that bigger is slightly better for cycling, maybe put money into a slightly bigger tank like the Aqua Leddy 75 (105 litres) or the Superfish Start 100 (also 105 litres)

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2021, 07:26:54 PM »
That all sounds very sensible to me :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2021, 07:43:39 PM »
Plants depends.

If you plan to have a lot of fast growing plants, you can plant them at the beginning. Then take a photo of the tank and go and do something else for a couple of weeks. Once the two weeks are up, compare the photo to the tank to see just how much the plants have grown. If there's a good amount of new growth you can get the first batch of fish, checking ammonia and nitrite every day. If either show up, do a water change. if you don't see any, wait a week and get the next batch of fish.

But if you plan only a few slow growing plants, you need to do a fishless cycle then add the plants when it's finished.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2021, 09:29:11 PM »
@Matt @Sue

https://www.completeaquatics.co.uk/aquarium-accessories/aquarium-tanks-and-cabinets/aquarium-kits/ciano-aquariums-cabinets/ciano-aqua-80-led-tank-black

Have just seen this tank and listed as 71 litre, but when i put it through tank calculator it comes out at 99 litres. Any ideas about the difference?

Offline Sue

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2021, 10:13:04 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
The volume will be the amount of water the tank can hold (without substrate, decor etc) but the dimensions will include the lid in the height measurement.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2021, 09:31:38 PM »
Thanks for all the advice everyone. Things are a little clearer, got 3 possible tanks on mind.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2021, 06:31:07 PM »
Well ended up buying a Aquamanta 60 tank from Maidenhead Aquatics. Believe it is also known as the Aqua One Nano 60. Its 90 litres and has a large space at the back for filter stuff. Just waiting on a cabinet to come to put it on.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2021, 06:52:02 PM »
Well done on making the decision and thanks for the update.  :cheers:
You'll need to remind me/us what you have in each of your tanks, and also what your plans are for this one.
 :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1:

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2021, 07:00:19 PM »
Well done on making the decision and thanks for the update.  :cheers:
You'll need to remind me/us what you have in each of your tanks, and also what your plans are for this one.
 :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1:

Well i got 2 fancy goldfish in tank one.(200l)

Got harlequins penguin tetra and another tetra in tank 2(125l)

Tanks 3 has purple harlequins and ember tetras in (125l)

Tank 4 is a small betta tank, not got one yet, but in the plans.

Going to change substrate in tank 2 and 3 to sand. Thinking of moving the purple harlequins into tank 2, not sure the embers would get on ok in tank 2, maybe someone might know.

Tank 3 will then be empty, i know i want corys just planning what else to have.

The new tank, (90l) will either have ember tetras in or if they go in tank 2 got a few ideas.

5 Banded barbs are a possibility, need to see how they get on with corys first.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2021, 07:57:22 PM »
Oooh, I think someone has a touch of multiple tank syndrome ;) - very envious of those tanks. ;D

As for tank 2, the harlequins, purple harlequins and embers ought to get on fine, but the query is whether the penguin tetras would be ok with the embers and whatever the other tetra is - most tetras are fine but serpae and some others can be nippy and/or boisterous in comparison with timid embers. The embers might be ok if they vastly outnumbered the penguins and other tetra.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2021, 08:09:59 PM »
@fcmf i only have one penguin and i think the tetras are Black Phantom tetras, i have 2 of those. got 8 -10 purple rasboras and about the same number of embers.

Could always put the penguin in other tank, but think that might restrict my fish choice.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Tank recommendations"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
9 Replies
Last post February 09, 2015, 11:58:19 AM
by Fiona
1 Replies
Last post August 25, 2017, 08:51:06 AM
by Sue
33 Replies
Last post November 27, 2018, 07:26:34 PM
by jaypeecee
10 Replies
Last post March 20, 2019, 04:50:47 PM
by daveyng
86 Replies
Last post December 18, 2019, 06:20:28 PM
by fcmf
10 Replies
Last post July 10, 2019, 07:10:03 AM
by Littlefish
7 Replies
Last post April 11, 2021, 04:56:12 PM
by daveyng

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: