Stocking My 125lt Tank [missing Posts In Thread]

Author Topic: Stocking my 125lt tank [missing posts in thread]  (Read 4112 times) 15 replies

fishtales

Stocking my 125lt tank [missing posts in thread]
« on: November 23, 2019, 03:39:24 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
As the heading says. I will be stocking my 125lt tank after the clowns have been through the quarantine process,

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Stocking my 125lt tank
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 04:49:50 PM »
The volume allows for more fish than a standard 60 cm tank, but since swimming length is the more important dimension, you need fish that will be comfortable in 60 cm. This means no fast swimming fish as even tiny ones will need more room to swim in. But don't worry as there are plenty of sedate fish which will be suitable.

Many of the smaller tetras would be fine
harlequin rasboras or one of their slightly smaller lookalikes (Trigonostigma hengeli and T. espei)
if you can find any, one of my current fish Daisy's ricefish (Oryzias woworae)
one of the dwarf sepcies of corydoras if you have sand substrate (C pygmaeus, C. habrosus, C. hastatus) though at least 10 of these.

Would you want a 'centrepiece' fish?
Peacock goby/gudgeon, Tateurndina occelicauda (I have those too)
Honey gouramis
One of the more common apistogrammas - A. borellii and A. cacatuoides (cockatoo cichlid) are fine in your hardness

I am sure the other members will have more suggestions  :)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 05:33:34 PM »
The advantage of your shape of tank is that you could have different species at different levels, so dwarf corydoras or apistogrammas at bottom level, the others suggested at mid levels, and possibly something like sparkling gourami or pygmy hatchetfish at the upper level.

Marbled and silver hatchetfish require lengthier tanks but pygmies (carnegiella myersi) seems to be ok - having said that, I'm not sure that I've ever seen them in a LFS. However, I see that MA / Fishkeeper Scotland https://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/help-and-advice/freshwater/characins/black-winged-hatchetfish do have black-winged hatchetfish (carnegiella marhae) on their list, though, and they can be kept in a 60cm length tank.

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 07:27:39 PM »
Peacock gudgeons, 1 male 2 female. Read up on how to tell the difference. You would also need a couple of caves for them. These fish like tiny caves, the tighter the better. I do wonder how a male and female fit inside the 'caves' in my tank - a 3 inch length of 3/4 inch plastic piping with a chunk of slate siliconed to it to make it look prettier and weight it down. The male just about fills it by himself.

Dwarf cories need at least 10. Just to be warned, I've only ever seem hastatus once in the flesh. Pygmies are the most common in shops, followed by habrosus. If you have a good shop near you they may be willing to order fish for you.

Rice fish males do chase each other. There tends to be a very colourful dominant male, and drabber, subordinate males. And mine, both male and female, often have chunks missing from their tails.
These fish breed unusually. The eggs hang from the female's vent until they are scraped off when they swim through things. I often see females with what looks like bubbles stuck to her.
You'd need a minimum of 8.

I don't know much about hatchetfish as I've never kept them  :(

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2019, 07:28:11 PM »
Hi @fishtales

Firstly, welcome to Think Fish  :wave:

I suggest you visit local aquarist stores and also take a look at https://seriouslyfish.com.

There are many types of fish that you can house in your 125 litre tank.

JPC

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2019, 07:49:59 PM »
I have marbled and what I think might be silver hatchets, not sure as I bought them quite some time ago from MA. They are in a 1m long tank, and mainly swim in the flow of the filter. I really like the shape of them, as I'm partial to anything a bit odd. They do jump if spooked, though I've not had any major issues with mine, except for the time I was trying to move them to another tank and one of them jumped out of the water, but landed in the net (very useful).
I live in a hard water area, so use a mix of tap & RO for some of my tanks, mainly because I'm a bit of an idiot and tend to go for fish I like rather than those more suitable for my water.  ::)

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2019, 08:19:59 PM »
A few more fiah for you to consider / to get you thinking...:
▪Dwarf Pencilfish. Great surface dweller and they interact with each other quite a bit. I have been a massive fan ever since I got my fish small group of these.
▪Otocinclus - a surface dweller. Their sucker mouths allow them to attach and eat from any surface. Can often be found attached to the glass hardscape or plants. Add another dimension to the tank.
▪ Deep golden little gems. A large shoal of these tiny fish can look amazing. They are also not shy unlike e.g. galaxy rasbora. Again, I'm a massive fan (a fish I'll never not keep now!)
▪Penguin tetra and Rummynose tetra tend to stick together nicely in a schoal / all swimming in the same direction which can look very effective indeed
▪ Bolivian Rams - try to find pictures of mature fish rather than necessarily looking at those in the shop, they colour up beautifully as they age

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2019, 08:39:08 PM »
A couple of points from Matt's post

Otocinclus need to be added after a few months. When newly acquired they often won't eat anything except algae so the tank should have grown a fair amount before getting them.

Deep golden little gems
Err.... which fish do you mean  ???

Bolivian rams need a tank with a bigger footprint  :P

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2019, 10:05:29 PM »
Yes, I have succumbed to MTS. The problem is that I see a fish I like, do some research, then it's either I can't possibly do it because I can't have a tank big enough (black ghost knife fish, sailfin plec, shovelnose catfish), or I can do it if I get another tank, use an RO mix, set up a species only tank.
This stuff is seriously addictive.  ;D

Quarantine of 4-6 weeks is good. We usually aim for a minimum of 4 weeks.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2019, 10:42:51 PM »
I have a sneaking suspicion that the new species that @Matt has "identified" (or at least renamed) might be ember tetras - I'm fairly sure I've heard him describe them in similar glowing tones before. Am I correct, @Matt?

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2019, 05:46:59 AM »
Thanks Sue

Deep golden little gems
Err.... which fish do you mean  ???

Not sure where the title Ember Tetra went there...added it back in!

Bolivian rams need a tank with a bigger footprint  :P

Quite right! My plant knowledge better than fish knowledge apparently!! Though (bear with me here...) would they be doable given SF recommends 90x 45 (around 4000cm2)  and this tank with its more unusual dimensions is 60x60 (3600cm2)?? Is that enough or does length matter as it would for a fish like zebra danio?

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2019, 05:50:15 AM »
I have a sneaking suspicion that the new species that @Matt has "identified" (or at least renamed) might be ember tetras - I'm fairly sure I've heard him describe them in similar glowing tones before. Am I correct, @Matt?

Full marks!!  :cheers:

Offline Sue

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2019, 10:30:54 AM »
4 weeks should be fine for quarantine.

The next step is to visit all your local shops to see what they have in stock. Leave all cash and plastic behind so that you can't be tempted  ;)

There is one thing to bear in mind. If you go out and buy all the fish on your wish list and fully stock the tank, it is guaranteed that a week later you'll go into a shop and see another must-have fish. Don't stock to the max straight away!

Offline fcmf

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2019, 05:09:45 PM »
So, just to check my/our understanding:
* you have the 5ft/400L tank with a sailfin pleco, rainbow shark, albino cory, bronze cory, black widow tetra, and the to-be-transferred-post-quarantine clown loaches;
* you have some ideas of what you will stock in the (unconventional-shaped) 125L tank;
* you are wondering if:
*** post-quarantine of the clown loaches, some of the existing inhabitants in the 400L could be transferred into the 125L temporarily to keep its filter media alive while it's empty and while you decide upon new inhabitants for it? *or*
*** you could add some inhabitants to the 125L in conjunction with quarantining the clown loaches? *or*
*** you could start stocking the 125L immediately following the clown loaches' quarantine with new inhabitants? *or*
*** you could get some inhabitants for the 125L, either now or post-quarantine of the clown loaches, that could be swapped into the main tank (i.e. could co-exist with its current inhabitants) if you ever needed to transfer them in there to free up the 125L for quarantine or hospital purposes?

I'll blame the time of the afternoon for sounding a bit dim (even although it's usually the time of day I'm most alert ;)).

Offline fcmf

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2020, 02:06:31 PM »
That sounds wise, @fishtales. There are some lighter-weight plastic tanks available which can be good for quarantine/hospital purposes and easier storage for other items when not in use.

Offline fcmf

Re: Stocking my 125lt tank [missing posts in thread]
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2020, 06:08:26 PM »
[Some posts missing in this thread as, regrettably for us given that she was a valued member, former member Fishtales left the forum and deleted most of her posts and edited the initial post.]

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Stocking my 125lt tank [missing posts in thread]"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
29 Replies
Last post February 07, 2020, 05:56:48 PM
by fcmf
14 Replies
Last post February 07, 2020, 05:59:45 PM
by fcmf
47 Replies
Last post February 07, 2020, 05:51:51 PM
by fcmf
10 Replies
Last post January 20, 2020, 07:45:26 PM
by jaypeecee
6 Replies
Last post January 15, 2020, 06:56:16 PM
by jaypeecee
39 Replies
Last post February 07, 2020, 06:10:19 PM
by fcmf
4 Replies
Last post January 25, 2020, 10:05:53 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: