Sterba Cory

Author Topic: Sterba Cory  (Read 5210 times) 11 replies

Offline IainA

• Fishy Contributor
Sterba Cory
« on: May 24, 2014, 11:29:39 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello, I was in my local fish shop recently looking for some fish for the bottom of my tank. I purchased a beautiful bulldog catfish and I was also rather taken by some smaller bottom feeders, Corydoras Sterbai. I did not purchase these as I wanted to research them a little more. However on my return to 'Thinkfish' I could not find them on the community creator. Does anyone have any experience of these lovely little fish especially best temperature PH and hardness, in fact all the things that the community creator tells you.

Thanks

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Boeseman's Rainbowfish (3) - Neon Tetra (11) - Scissor-Tail (7) - Rainbow Shark (1) - Celebes Rainbow (1) - Giant Danio (2) - Black Molly (1) - Bulldog Catfish (1) - Panda Cory (5) - Rummy Nose Tetra (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Resa

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Sterba Cory
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 01:53:15 PM »
Hi Iain :wave:

I'll try this again....I just wrote you a long reply only to have the bloody cat delete it all :vcross:

Anyway, IMHO NOBODY should be without cories in their tank. They are delightful little characters and very peaceful. I don't know how big your tank is or what it's current residents are but as long as you don't have any bullying bottom dwelling fish I don't see why you can't have some Cories.
You will need a smooth substrate, either sand or round edged gravel as anything sharp could damage their barbels when they are rummaging around the floor. You also need to keep the floor clean of too much muck as if they do snag their barbels they could easily pick up an infection if the floor was dirty....but then that's just common sense really and good tank maintenance.
They are a little sensitive to high nitrates and do better in a tank that has been up and running ok for a few months. Is your tank newly acquired? They also like some shade from some plants or rocks and hiding places are also welcome. If you have broad leaved plants they do like to sit on a leaf and have a doze.
They need to be in quite big groups...at least 6, for them to feel safe and for their proper character to come out.
If you can, try and have a look at Panda Cories too...they are beyond cute!
The only problem you will have if you get Cories is you will suddenly get nothing done as you will spend all your time watching them bumble around the tank ;)

Hope that has helped, but for more info have a look at Planet Catfish.

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Resa

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 02:01:18 PM »
Oops, sorry Iain, I have just come across your other post that says you have been fishkeeping for 9  months :-[ so ignore my question about how established your tank is. If you have had no problems, i.e. very high nitrates etc, that would be mature enough for Cories. How exciting....Cory shopping, perhaps? ;)

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 02:17:55 PM »
The fish profiles on here are a bit lacking on cories, unfortunately, with just pandas and habrosus (salt & pepper). However, Seriously Fish is always a good place to look, and here they are. Off the top of my head, I know that sterbais are one of the large cories and they like warmer temps. They are just about the only cory that can live with discus for example.
However, I disagree with SF on the tank size. I wouldn't keep a shoal of 6cm  fish in a tank with a footprint of 45 x 30cm. I wouldn't even keep a shoal of dwarf cories in that size. They say the similarly sized bronze cory needs an 80cm long tank  :-\

Offline Richard W

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 03:04:38 PM »
But the Bulldog catfish (Plec) needs a lower temperature, whichever species you have, 23 - 24 max. They also require high oxygen levels and prefer a strong flow. I was wondering if you have those conditions in your tank?

Offline IainA

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 05:35:14 PM »
Hello everyone, thanks for your very helpful comments and links. As I said in my original post I was very taken my the Cory's in my local shop and you have convinced me to get a few, perhaps 6.

I have over the last few months developed my community tank, a Juwel Rio 180l, to near capacity. I have a rounded gravel substrate, 2 pieces of bogwood, 1 slate cave and 6 plants. The fish list is:
3 Boseman Rainbow
8 Diamond Neon Tetra
6 Scissor-tail rasboras
3 Celebes Rainbow
1 Ruby Shark
1 Lyre tail Molly
1 Bulldog Plec
3 Giant Danio.

I do 20% water changes every week with a big clean every month, ammonia and nitrite are always zero and nitrates come in at 25mg/l. The tank temperature is set at 25 degrees, which according to the community creator is the best temperature for all my fish, perhaps the Boseman's would like it a degree warmer. The site that Sue recommended, Seriously Fish has a temperature range of 24-28 degrees for the Cory and the community creator suggests 19-25 degrees for the Bulldog so all good there. The Juwel internal filter provides a flow but whether this is a strong flow or not I do not know, it certainly weaves the plants and moves the substrate.

Reza, two of my plants are broad leafed which I think the Cory's would appreciate. I loved your comment re your cat, my previous cat, Kazi, would walk all over your hands when typing at he keyboard. What a minx but I loved her dearly.

Now you know my set up do you have any other views or observations?

Thanks again.

Iain

Boeseman's Rainbowfish (3) - Neon Tetra (11) - Scissor-Tail (7) - Rainbow Shark (1) - Celebes Rainbow (1) - Giant Danio (2) - Black Molly (1) - Bulldog Catfish (1) - Panda Cory (5) - Rummy Nose Tetra (6) -

Offline Richard W

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 11:37:05 AM »
Here's what I found out about the Bulldog plec. Although there are numerous species in the genus they all apparently require similar conditions :
"they are usually found in habitats consisting of cobbles and large boulders in fast-flowing, cool 22-24°C/72-75°F, clean, well-aerated water."
"Their love of fast water makes their care in captivity difficult because unless the aquarium grows enough algae to satisfy them, they are malnourished and typically waste away after several months of hiding and unsuccessful grazing." It seems that finding a good algae substitute is key to success.
Corydoras sterbai is one of the corys that is recommended for the warmer end, in comparison to many corys that enjoy relatively cool conditions.
Personally I wouldn't put these two together, but then I wouldn't have put the plec in with Boseman rainbows either. At the end of the day, however, most fish are much more tolerant than some would have us believe. Only time will tell.

Offline IainA

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 12:34:27 PM »
Richard many thanks for your helpful research and comment. I am sure my tank water is very clean, but slightly warmer than your research and I am not sure about the fastness of my flow. The bulldog does hide away for most of the day but I am sure he is receiving sufficient food. I feed him a mixture of Catfish pellets (King British), Tetra Wafer Mix and blanched vegetables (skinned peas and peeled courgettes). All food is usually gone by the morning so I hope he is getting his fair share.

The corys are so cute that I think I will give them a try, I know you shouldn't buy fish just for their cuteness but I think my tank parameters should be ok. Your comment of fish tolerance is quite interesting. My Diamond Neon Tetra come up with a red warning from the Community Creator on this site due to their size but they are living happily with all my other fish.

Iain

Offline IainA

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 04:53:00 PM »
Hi just to conclude this thread, I purchased 6 corys this morning. They are now fairly settled in the tank, sometimes resting on the substrate, sometimes scurrying around the tank. Very pretty and very watchful. Thanks to all who offered advice.

Regards

Iain

Offline Resa

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 07:15:50 PM »
Whoa-there! What do you mean conclude this thread??? That's not how it works, you know. We now need piccies of said Cories, and what sort did you get in the end? Boys, girls? What are their names? What did they weigh....well, maybe not their weight...but you get the gist....it's Thinkfish Law ;)

Offline IainA

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 01:35:29 PM »
Ok pictures attached, I think! The first one is a general view of my tank, the second is two of my corys grazing and the third is well just a picture. 4 girlies and 2 boys no names at the moment other than cory1, cory2, cory3, you get the idea, although I must admit that they all look pretty similar to me, no afros, no gingers, no baldies to tell them apart!

I am going to read my camera manual now and see if I can get any better pics, but this is your lot for the moment.

Iain

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 07:48:30 PM »
Liking the Diamond Head's - haven't come across any of these before.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Sterba Cory"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post May 05, 2013, 10:20:34 PM
by Fishywishy
3 Replies
Last post June 23, 2014, 09:08:54 PM
by IainA
14 Replies
Last post November 07, 2014, 08:12:38 AM
by biffster
4 Replies
Last post November 30, 2014, 05:34:26 PM
by biffster
12 Replies
Last post February 02, 2015, 10:43:09 AM
by Aquamaid
1 Replies
Last post February 13, 2015, 05:59:27 PM
by bferg4
5 Replies
Last post March 20, 2015, 12:09:28 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: