Ph Crash

Author Topic: ph crash  (Read 5356 times) 13 replies

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
ph crash
« on: July 02, 2014, 07:55:29 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
tank has been up and running now for about 2 and a bit months to which the ph has remanied fairly consistant at about 7.4-7.6 , i had been doing a 25 liter water change on a tuesday night and a 50 liter water change on a friday this amounts to about 25 percent a week , now due to my hoilday and huge work load before and after the hoilday my testing droped off a bit , i just tested the ph for the first time in about 14 -17 days and i am shocked to discover its crashed down to 6.0 or lower results for ammonia nitres and nitrates are fine , i do have a very low kh - i test with the api kit and it turns  colour after 3 or 4 drops , what should i do to get my ph back up to healthy levels , all fish and shrimp currently seem fine

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
Re: ph crash
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 08:10:17 PM »
Hi Chris

A pH of 6.0 isn't necessarily unhealthy - although it is on the lower end many fish are quite happy down to 6 or thereabouts and some even lower (e.g. Cardinal Tetras) and fish are generally quite adaptable as long as it doesn't go too far out of their ideal range + there isn't a sudden drop and/or the pH doesn't fluctuate regularly.

I'm sure I've read somewhere that tanks often drop in pH as they become more mature so perhaps wasn't a pH crash - just maybe your tank dropping to it's 'natural' pH level which had previously been kept higher owing to the regular water changes? Did you do a water change before testing the pH?

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 08:19:38 PM »
6 is the lowest my test kit measures to so is possible it could even be lower than that  , i did 25 liters yesterday then tested tonight , yes the fish i have tend to have quite a good range on the ph but with most being around 6,5 bottom iam a little worried especialy as i have 4 baby fish in the tank that are about 5 weeks old now and i would hate to loose them at this stage after all the hard work to get this far with them (belive they are snakeskin gourmai ),
yes i was just wondering if i should do somthing to bring it back up or if settling back into my regular water change ( maybe with a extra water change added in somewere ) would be the best way to raise it back up again.
 last ph test was 21 days ago :( and was 7.4

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 08:38:25 PM »
Ah, forgot the API tester doesn't go lower than 6 so the true reading could be lower as you say. People on here generally advise against any chemical intervention wherever possible and I think doing something which would shoot the pH back up would potentially do more harm than good - a gradual increase would be better.

Your tank is quite large isn't it so the 25l change you've done already is fairly inconsequential, in which case I'd probably do your 50l change straight away and then test again to see how much difference it makes.

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 08:46:44 PM »
yes the tank is about 250 liters total volume so i guess to try do regular changes to bring it back up slowly is the best option ,
thanks dbaggie  :cheers:

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 10:28:12 AM »
The end product of the nitrogen cycle (nitrate) is acidic as as various hormones etc secreted by the fish. With medium or high KH there is enough buffer in the water to resist a drop in pH. But as you've found, with your low KH there isn't enough. This is what happens in 'old tank syndrome', where water changes are done infrequently, even where the KH is high.

You need to do small daily water changes to get the pH back up - too big a change in one step is harmful, and they've just been through a big drop. And next time you go on holiday maybe do a few larger water changes before you go to add a bit more KH than usual.

If you want to be sure of avoiding a drop again, you could give some though to adding remineralistaion salts. These are used with RO water but can also be used to add a tiny extra to non-RO water such as yours. You wouldn't need much, just enough to boost your KH by 1 or 2 degrees. The downside is that they would also increase your GH and pH slightly.

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 01:01:47 PM »
 :( poor fish
thanks sue will do a little water change every day to get the ph back up.
did i read on here somewere that crushed coral placed in the filter is a alternative to using remineral salts ?

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 04:31:55 PM »
I completely forgot about crushed coral  :-[
Yes, you can use that. Or a chunk of limestone rock as decor.

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 06:56:56 PM »
:) i would perfer to use the crushed coral  in my filters is there a certain type of coral to get and is there a certain amount to use or is that a little bit of trial and error  :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 07:11:51 PM »
I found a bag of crushed coral a while ago (at a shop that has since closed) It's irregular white lumps like this. The biggest pieces are around half an inch long. Your shops may have something different. Just put it in a mesh bag. Other people use coral sand as the substrate, but that's mainly for those with Rift Lake cichlids.

As for how much, I'm afraid that's a trial and error job. Start with a couple of tablespoons and work up from there to get the desired result. It will increase your GH and pH as well.

As a very approximate idea, I filled 2 tubs with water, about 3 inches deep. Into one I put a layer of crushed coral maybe half an inch thick, possibly less. After a week, I compared the 2 tubs (plain water first and water with coral second):
pH - 7.4 and 7.6
GH - 8 and 10
KH - 3 and 5.

This gives you an idea of how big an effect it can have.

The only thing to be careful of using coral like this is that when you change the chemistry of the water, it is different from your tapwater; you need to avoid big water changes as that will alter the chemistry of the tank water. Smaller, more frequent water changes are safer for the fish.

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 07:50:08 PM »
thanks sue i just found some crushed coral on ebay and some fine mesh bags to out it in will try a tea spoon in a bag in each of filters and test daily till i get the right amount , i might change my friday 50 liter to a 25 liter and then add another 25 liter water change into my routine for a sunday night :)

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 09:07:16 AM »
just a little update
i did a 50 liter water change last night which raised it up to 6.4 , so when i get home later i will test again and do another 50 liters and test after to compare results and have just ordered some crushed coral from ebay so can slowly add that when it arrives :)

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 08:53:12 AM »
further update ,

i was suffering ph crashes over night from 6.8 to 6 or less.my crush coral arrived last monday and i added up to a dose off 4 desert spoons in each filter ( 250 liter tank aprox)  and this has held  my ph at a consistent level so far so iam really pleased with the results and will be continuing to monitor the ph closely. :)

Offline ColinB

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 09:36:25 AM »
*phew*

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: