Author Topic: Otos in a new tank  (Read 2861 times) 9 replies

Offline Loubaa

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Otos in a new tank
« on: October 19, 2016, 05:52:53 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi everyone!
Just got a new tank set up about 2 months ago, and started to gradually add some fish. My latest additions are some little otos, who are very sweet and helpful in cleaning up the leaves of my plants which got quite brown with algae.
But now I keep reading that they are quite delicate and should only be put into mature aquaria - some sites suggesting 9 months plus. I am a bit worried that I have sentenced the poor little fellas to an early demise  :-\. Any advice and how to keep them happy in my new tank?
Thanks

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Re: Otos in a new tank
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 06:27:27 PM »
Hi there,

Don't panic, you have not sentenced them to an early demise.

There is some good information here
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/otocinclus-macrospilus/
This suggests that they don't do well when being transported, and that they are delicate when initially moved into the tank. They need a lot of food, and they mainly feed on algae & micro-organisms which grow on surfaces in the tank. A mature tank is good because it has settled and has a time to grow a lot of food sources for the otos.
Make sure that your water parameters are also very good, and your temperature, pH and hardness are suitable for them.
The link suggests things that you can use to add to the diet of your otos to keep them happy.
One of the other things that you can try is growing algae on rocks in another container on a bright windowsill. I do this for my young bristlenose plec and blue-eyed ancistrus.
I get the impression that otos can never have enough food, so provide them with lots of different things.

I don't have any otos (yet  ;) ), and I'm not the most experienced keeper, so I'm sure that the others will be able to give you better and more specific advice. I just wanted to offer some initial help until the other get here.
Best of luck and please keep us posted on progress.  :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 06:30:27 PM »
I typed a reply and Littlefish beat me to it  ;D

She said everything  :)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 07:19:06 PM »
...and I'm quite happy to send some algae-covered silk plants off to you once a week for them to "clean up", then you can mail them back to me once they've feasted on them.
 :rotfl:

Offline Loubaa

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 07:49:40 PM »
Thank you everyone. You are all so knowledgeable and wise!  :isay: And quick!
There is no shortage of algae in my tank, luckily for them. Since the tank was set up I have done precisely nothing with my phosphate levels and consequently there is algae all over my (many) plants, rocks and wood. It is mostly brown, so I don't know if the otos will get sick of it, but I have been amazed how much they've scoffed already! I only put them in on Saturday and my plants are looking so much better already. I also have some algae flakes, but they weren't interested in those.
I only have 4 but if they keep doing well I'll pop some more in. They may be a bit drab but I love them! You should definitely get some, Littlefish  ;)

Thanks for the offer fcmf, but I'm afraid you would never see your plants again. I am not the most organised of people and I would keep forgetting to return them!

I will definitely be careful will my water parameters. I have checked on the profiles here and it seems OK for them, although it is quite hard. I am considering trying to add some RO water to the tank at some point, but that's another story.

Thanks again!

Offline Loubaa

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 07:51:33 PM »
Aah I guess you were joking about the plants... I am a bit slow on the uptake  :-[

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 07:54:10 PM »
Brown algae is most likely diatoms which are common in new tanks. It usually goes away by itself as the tank matures so maybe now is the time to set up the rocks in a glass container algae growing conveyor belt so you'll have some nice green rocks when the brown algae runs out.

Offline Loubaa

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 08:54:30 PM »
Hi Sue
How do I go about doing that? Do I just stick them in some water on a sunny windowsill?

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 07:55:27 AM »
I have smooth rocks in a container of dechlorinated water on a sunny windowsill. I added a small amount of fish food as a source of ammonia, then just left it.
Harry (the bristlenose) loves algae rocks and comes out from under the log pile when I put them in the tank. He scoff all the algae, then does green poops.  :o

Offline ColinB

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 08:16:48 AM »
You could try popping an Indian Almond (catappa) leaf in (it'll sink after a few days) and that will help grow little micro-organisms and be generally beneficial.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Otos in a new tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
0 Replies
Last post December 11, 2012, 06:26:01 PM
by maz1
8 Replies
Last post April 07, 2014, 05:40:47 PM
by Christine Snape
7 Replies
Last post October 20, 2014, 11:26:15 PM
by Resa
31 Replies
Last post December 22, 2014, 10:11:22 AM
by AndreaC
18 Replies
Last post March 07, 2015, 06:07:04 PM
by Aquamaid
3 Replies
Last post November 13, 2015, 01:05:29 PM
by fcmf
13 Replies
Last post May 15, 2017, 11:46:05 PM
by MarquisMirage

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: