Odd Water Test Reading

Author Topic: Odd water test reading  (Read 852 times) 13 replies

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Odd water test reading
« on: December 31, 2022, 07:44:31 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi.  I have scrubbed out and sanitized the tank after the demise of Donny the Bettafish. I bought some nice polished pebbles for a substrate for the next Betta.  The tank is just now in the first stage of cycling.  I have put in a new plant and a nerite snail, Gary.

Out of curiosity, I took a water sample in to the pet store to have them test in the "pristine new" state. It was showing a trace of ammonia. This is fresh water, two days in the tank, treated with Prime. No plants or animals were in the tank yet.  I'm curious how it could have ammonia at this point?

We won't be putting fish in for at least another week, and I did dig out my old water testing kit and will run the test myself, but I also did see the color when the fish store guy did it and he was not telling a mis-truth - there was definitely a tinge of color that shouldn't have been there.  Any ideas?

Also, the old plants have entirely more "pest" snails that I know what to do with. The plants are currently living in a bucket.  Any ideas on how to get rid of all those snails so that I can put the plants back in the aquarium?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Odd water test reading
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2022, 07:53:17 PM »
Does your water provider use chloramine or chlorine? Many places in the US have chloramine rather than chlorine in tap water.
In basic terms, chloramine is ammonia and chlorine joined together. Dechlorinators split it up and remove the chlorine part but leave the ammonia part in the water. Prime detoxifies ammonia for something like 36 hours by which time a cycled or planted aquarium will have removed it, but as you haven't re-cycled the tank yet that detoxified ammonia is still there and by now has "undetoxified" again.

Offline Sue

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2022, 07:54:21 PM »
As for the snails, I don't know as I've never bothered removing snails. I just don't over feed the tank so they've never been a problem.

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2023, 02:00:35 AM »
Duh, I forgot about the chloramine.  :-[   I was just thinking "chlorine".....

I've added a liberal dose of API quick start, and once I get the plants de-snailed I'll get them back in there, too. In a couple of weeks hopefully the chemistry will look better for a new fish.

Hope you have a Happy New Year!

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2023, 09:27:34 AM »
A salt bath will kill snails.

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2023, 02:29:14 PM »
Hi - I tried the salt bath, and the plants are now back in the tank. Hopefully the algae on their leaves will provide the nerite with enough food to survive (along with the occasional sinking wafer) until the tank is re-established enough for food to grow naturally for him.  :)

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2023, 08:31:53 PM »
Great. We've had the nerite for 24 hours and he's made a break for it. I left a gap in the lid for a couple of hours, accidentally.  We cannot find him anywhere. Literally emptied the tank - no snail. Completely emptied the shelves he was on top of. No snail. Scanned the entire room rug at eye level with a flashlight. No snail.  Not in the filter. Not stuck to the underside of the lid. Checked all the cables running down from the tank. Checked the outside of the tank. Checked under and the undersides of all the furniture. Gary has vanished.

WAH!!!!!! :'(

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2023, 09:07:13 PM »
Could any children or pets have moved your snail?

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2023, 10:46:36 PM »
Sorry to read about G's escape.

If I were you, if you have any of the following, I'd leave them out at floor and tank-surface level (or indeed any surface level eg on furniture), just in case he appears:
* filter foam or an unused sponge soaked in tank water on a plate - this might help him survive if he crawls along to it;
* some courgette, lettuce or other leafy green veg soaked in tank water - it might entice him to it.

This might improve the possibility of his survival and re-appearance in due course, rather than relying on fingers crossed only. Ideally, he'll be found on these.

[Edited to add: if he turns up, and you were thinking of additional food for him as per your previous comment, then two foods which my nerite snails have besides naturally-grown algae include Dennerle Shrimp King Snail Stixx and Glasgarten Snail Dinner.  They also seem to like chewing on wood and on catappa/jackfruit/banana leaves.]

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2023, 12:59:52 AM »
No sign of Gary. We put water and lettuce at floor level and will be doing the same at tank level.

No chance of anyone else removing the snail - that would be too easy!

Seriously, the tank is on top of two bookshelves that have no back to them. We took every item out, checking to see if he'd attached to it. We looked under every shelf, shined a flashlight in the back up and down. Put the flashlight on the carpet and spun it around hoping he would show up, although the carpet is light colored and he should have anyway.

HOLY COW, GARY IS BACK. HE IS IN THE TANK?!!!!! WE TOOK EVERYTHING OUT OF THAT TANK LOOKING FOR HIM!!!!!!

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2023, 01:12:05 AM »
NO clue how he did that! I had even taken the filter out and apart. But he's back. And we got a photo. And we can't find him again.

He's good at what he does, and he's really fast. And the opening by the filter is now heavily screened so he's not getting out!

Thanks for the tips on food. I'll see if I can find those brands for him tomorrow. In the meantime, he has some plants with algae on their leaves. And I'll throw in a catappa leaf.

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2023, 10:13:08 AM »
I once needed to remove several nerites to treat a tank for whitespot and could not find one of them. Like yours, it turned up in the tank a couple of days later. And survived the whitespot medication. They really experts at hiding.

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2023, 01:19:15 PM »
Done that many times, searched “literally everything” only to later discover that I didn’t. My overriding thought was “no you haven’t, it’ll turn up.”

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2023, 06:56:19 PM »
Yeah, that was pretty amazing. I literally took every single object out of the aquarium, and had my (adult) daughter check them out as well. Scooped out the pebbles a half-cup at a time and put them in a separate bowl. No snail.

No idea where that snail went, but Gary is back (unless he's figure out how to teleport elsewhere and back again) and the cage is "locked", so that's all that matters.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Odd water test reading"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
0 Replies
Last post February 25, 2013, 01:36:52 PM
by Nat
2 Replies
Last post June 05, 2014, 09:12:03 PM
by evan47
3 Replies
Last post November 24, 2014, 08:52:52 PM
by Sue
9 Replies
Last post May 21, 2015, 11:24:33 AM
by Sue
9 Replies
Last post August 16, 2015, 10:26:34 PM
by Anne
67 Replies
Last post October 02, 2015, 10:04:32 AM
by Extreme_One
2 Replies
Last post April 14, 2019, 05:15:53 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: