New Tank

Author Topic: new tank  (Read 2927 times) 6 replies

Offline Billy

• Fishy Member
new tank
« on: August 18, 2014, 09:57:20 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi

I need some advice on maintaining a much larger tank than iam used to. At the weekend i answered an sos call from someone in a local village who had to re-home their fish prior to moving on monday. It was meant to be only tetras and barbs which i already had some of so said yes . When i turned up there wre two angel fish, 5 golden barbs, 5 large silver tetras, and 3 large all black fish . All way too big for my small tank so said i couldn't help. He said the only option was for me to have his whole set up. Its a 250 litre tank 1200 long and not sure as to feeding amount with such a big tank and big fish compared to my old small one. Thanks

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Neon Tetra (5) - Zebra Danio (2) - Japonica Shrimp (5) - Penguin Tetra (4) - Golden Barb (4) - Angelfish (1) - Black Molly (2) - Rosy Barb (7) - Guppy (male) (12) - Platy (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: new tank
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 03:36:50 PM »
That sounds like a bit of a shock  :-\

Fish should be fed the amount of food equal to an eye - a fish's eye, with a few exceptions, is the same size as its stomach. So all you have to do is measure out as much food as equal to one eye for each of the fish you have. Yes, I do know that's impossible  ;D but it gives you some idea.

What did the previous owner feed the fish compared to what you use? Small fish are usually fed on flake but larger fish might be used to pellets. Did he give you their food as well? A lot of fish take a while to realise that different food is actually food.

Do you know what species the silver tetras and the black fish are? Just to check so you know if they need any special food.

Offline Billy

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 08:28:38 PM »
Thanks for the reply. The silver fish looking at the gallery are penguin tetras and the black ones are black mollies although im sure the previous owner said dalmation in their name. I tested the water yesterday and all levels are good except Nitrate which is a bit high at 12.5 mg/l. I have only filled the tank just over 3/4 full as was worried about putting too much new water in . Should i just top up tank to reduce Nitrate level or take some extra water out then fill ?
Also i had been concerned about the large angelfish bullying the small one, but coming home tonight we have a lot of eggs on the side in the corner where they like to be. Help !

Neon Tetra (5) - Zebra Danio (2) - Japonica Shrimp (5) - Penguin Tetra (4) - Golden Barb (4) - Angelfish (1) - Black Molly (2) - Rosy Barb (7) - Guppy (male) (12) - Platy (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 08:48:18 PM »
Penguin tetras and mollies will be fine on general fish food. There are dalmation mollies though they are usually white with black spots (like dalmation dogs!)

If your nitrate is 12.5 that is perfectly acceptable. Some people have 40mg/l (or ppm, both are the same) in their tapwater. The ideal is to keep the nitrate level from going higher than the tapwater level plus 20 just before a water change. When measuring nitrate you should always take the tapwater level into consideration as that's the lowest the tank can be unless you do something to lower it such as using special filters, have lots of live plants or use reverse osmosis or deionised water. Nitrate is only high enough to worry about when it gets into the hundreds.

What colour are the angel eggs? Sometimes a pair of females will lay eggs but obviously they'd be infertile. Infertile eggs are opaque white. If yours - well most of them - are not opaque white, they are fertile and you have a male and female. Some of their eggs will be infertile and opaque. Two words of warning - cichlids often eat their first few batches of eggs till they get the hang of it. Don't be surprised if the eggs disappear. And a mating pair of angels could well herd all the other fish into one corner of the tank to protect their spawning site.

Offline Billy

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 10:22:29 PM »
Yes i think they are dalmation mollies, he did day they have lost most of their spots ?? The angels are guarding the eggs very fiercly and any fish that comes near is soon chased away. The eggs all look white and opaque so guess they are infertile. Should we leave them or like the chickens we have take the eggs away to stop them being broody ?
As to feeding i have the normal flakes and he gave me a small pot called prima by tetra for mid water and bottom feeding fish which the angels and golden barbs seem to go for.

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 08:55:37 AM »
If you can remove the eggs it would help stop the aggression. Though if they are infertile, they will eat them. They usually pick out the odd infertile ones from between the fertile ones.

That food is fine. Rather than feed that every day, try giving live food once or twice a week as a treat. Frozen live food is better than real live (less chance of disease) and dried live (not much nutritional value left). One block contains a surprising amount so cut it up before thawing in a bit of water. Most fish go for bloodworm, daphnia or brine shrimp.

Offline Billy

• Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 07:27:17 PM »
Thanks for that, i will go at weekend to get some. The eggs have changed a bit with about a quater now a solid white. They don't seem to be eating any. Just guarding them and the large one rubs his front against them occasionly.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "new tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
0 Replies
Last post December 11, 2012, 06:26:01 PM
by maz1
5 Replies
Last post December 16, 2012, 10:04:20 AM
by maz1
Our Tank

Started by pmalipha Gallery Showcase

1 Replies
Last post February 16, 2013, 04:58:24 PM
by ColinB
5 Replies
Last post April 09, 2013, 08:38:57 AM
by Sue
35 Replies
Last post May 28, 2013, 04:02:12 PM
by Resa
13 Replies
Last post June 09, 2013, 11:18:41 AM
by ColinB
8 Replies
Last post April 07, 2014, 05:40:47 PM
by Christine Snape

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: