My Snails Have Arrived Early! What Do I Do ... ?

Author Topic: My snails have arrived early! What do I do ... ?  (Read 2515 times) 4 replies

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Call me Simon
My snails have arrived early! What do I do ... ?
« on: June 18, 2015, 03:29:57 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
So this is the big weekend.

I've been keeping the tank cycle going in readiness for planting and stocking this weekend..

My plants were ordered last week and will arrive tomorrow.

So, tomorrow I'll be removing at least 90% of the Nitrate-packed tap water.
Planting out (91 plants - that will take a while!)
Pumping in 50L of RO water I've been storing (in a cool dark place) for just under a week.
Pumping in 50L of tap water.
Measuring the hardness using my TDS Meter and recording this reading as my baseline - the ppm reading I will be aiming for at each water change.

On Saturday morning I'm going to my LFS to get 6 Tiger Barbs, my first tank inhabitants.

And now to the dilemma with my snails.

I ordered 10 Malaysian Trumpet snails yesterday and they were supposed to be delivered on Monday.
My wife just contacted me at work to let me know that the snails were delivered about an hour ago.

I don't want to put them in the tank tonight because I'm due to add another 1ppm of Ammonia.
Also I don't want them burying themselves in the substrate before I've planted; I don't want to accidentally crush them when I'm locating the plants.

I can't put them in the kid's tank upstairs as they'll bury themselves and I'll likely lose some...

What can I do? I only need them to live outside of my aquarium until Saturday now.

I'm thinking I can perhaps fill a container with aquarium water from the upstairs tank and seal it ... ?

Any other ideas?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
Re: My snails have arrived early! What do I do ... ?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 04:47:02 PM »
Do you have a spare bucket? Or ice cream tub? Or anything that you can put the snails in for now? It's only for the rest of today and tomorrow until you sort out the tank. If you can find a smallish container with a lid (snails can climb!) punch a few holes in the lid and sacrifice a bit of your RO to make a 50/50 mix (don't forget the dechlorinator, enough to treat the tapwater half). If you don't feed the snails they will be OK until you get the tank set up. You might have to change the water first thing tomorrow, go by the ammonia level in the tub.
I currently have 5 nerite snails sitting in a bucket in 7 litres water which I change morning and evening, until I'm sure that any whitespot cysts that might have been in the water on the snails have 'hatched' and the baby whitespot bugs have died without a fish to infect. Then they'll be going in the 50 litre until I get rid of all the whitespot med from their proper tank, the 180 litre. 5 nerites are a bit bigger than 10 mts so if my snails are fine after a week, your snails should be OK till tomorrow evening.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 05:07:21 PM »
Thanks Sue.

Of course, I only need to keep them until tomorrow night after I've finished planting.  : :))

I must be able to find a tub with a lid ...

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 05:29:20 PM »
So, after 3 hours of planting last night I released the 10 Malaysian Trumpet snails, counted them and discovered 17 or possibly 18.

I released them and looked a short while later and they'd all disappeared.
 Doing their job beneath the substrate.  :cheers:

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 07:11:28 PM »
That's where you want them to be.

And you had value for money with all those extra snails  :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "My snails have arrived early! What do I do ... ?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
14 Replies
Last post June 06, 2013, 10:13:08 AM
by ColinB
3 Replies
Last post December 11, 2013, 03:21:20 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post January 08, 2014, 12:14:42 AM
by Natasha
13 Replies
Last post April 29, 2014, 06:58:22 PM
by chris213
4 Replies
Last post June 15, 2014, 03:23:07 PM
by notungz
11 Replies
Last post November 06, 2014, 08:49:03 PM
by Colesr92
20 Replies
Last post August 02, 2015, 08:36:17 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: