Moving Fish Internationally (to USA)

Author Topic: Moving fish internationally (to USA)  (Read 11481 times) 79 replies

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Moving fish internationally (to USA)
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2020, 09:26:54 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Such a good outcome to this story - those fish are very lucky to have had such a dedicated fishkeeper willing to make a journey of that distance to collect them. [The Proclaimers' 500 Miles song could have some of the lyrics re-written specifically for your trip. :rotfl:]  Their quarantine tank looks great, and I'm sure they'll be even more delighted when they ultimately upgrade into their 5*-luxury accommodation.

Great to meet you and glad that you had a good time as well as a successful 'rehoming/rescue operation' for the fish. I'm sure Nan will feel delighted that they've gone to such a good home, and a huge weight off her mind when focusing on her relocation to the USA.
 :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1:

Offline Sue

« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2020, 09:33:22 PM »
So pleased to hear this. Yes indeed, those are some lucky fish  :)

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2020, 08:30:59 AM »
Such a good outcome to this story - those fish are very lucky to have had such a dedicated fishkeeper willing to make a journey of that distance to collect them. [The Proclaimers' 500 Miles song could have some of the lyrics re-written specifically for your trip. :rotfl:]  Their quarantine tank looks great, and I'm sure they'll be even more delighted when they ultimately upgrade into their 5*-luxury accommodation.

Great to meet you and glad that you had a good time as well as a successful 'rehoming/rescue operation' for the fish. I'm sure Nan will feel delighted that they've gone to such a good home, and a huge weight off her mind when focusing on her relocation to the USA.
 :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1:

You have no idea!  ;D ;D  And so thankful to Littlefish for driving all that distance.

It was pretty amazing how quickly and easily she gathered the kiddies up, too! I thought we'd spend a good half-hour trying to catch them all and she had them out of the tank in under five minutes, with minimal stress to them all.

Now all we have to hope is that the UK doesn't go into another lockdown before the movers can come collect our stuff. And that nothing weirder happens than is already going on arises at the other end of the journey (where we'll be in a hotel for two weeks quarantining before we can house-hunt).

So good to see Big Bertha and the boys, and everyone....

Thanks again, Donna.

(oh, hell... that song. It's stuck in my mind again.... :o  )

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2020, 08:30:48 PM »
Quite a bit more activity in the tank today, and everyone has eaten.
The neon tetra has a bit more colour back, and even the algae eater is spending more time towards the front of the tank. The corys are pottering all over the place.
It will be good the get them into a larger tank next month, and I'm sure they'll get on with Bertie the BN, and the other corys & tetras.  :)

Offline fcmf

« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2020, 09:02:37 PM »
Brilliant!

Loving the update, and the photos too.  :cheers:

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2020, 04:42:36 PM »
Such a great story and great to show the power of the forum too! Keep us posted :)

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2020, 01:38:07 PM »
Littlefish, Thanks again for taking the fishies for us. It was hard to leave them behind, but it's such a relief knowing they are in a good home. And seeing the photos is really lovely, thanks for doing that.

We made it over with minor glitches, did our two-week quarantine, spent a week house-hunting, and are now in our new place with almost floor-to-ceiling packing boxes (which arrived on Friday). I had packed our tank myself, rather than letting the movers near it, and it seems to have survived the ocean voyage and all the truck travel.

I'm going to re-seal all the joints before we set it back up again, just to be safe. It's going to be several weeks before we can begin that process, though.  Of course, then I want more albino corys, but my daughter wants to get several female betta fish! So we'll have to sort that out, one way or the other.  ::)

Offline fcmf

« Reply #67 on: September 28, 2020, 06:07:36 PM »
Great you've arrived safely on the other side of the pond, @Nan - I was hoping we'd get an update. It sounds like all has gone well so far, glad that the tank is in one piece, and I'm sure I speak on behalf of everyone that we'll all be looking forward to hearing of the tank developments once it's re-sealed and re-cycled.
 :cheers:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2020, 06:44:08 PM »
Great to hear that you have arrived safely and found a new place to live. Best of luck with settling in and also getting your tank up an running again.

Your gang are all still doing well here. Work has been busy so I haven't set up the big tank yet, but eventually everyone will get moved and pics will be uploaded.

:cheers:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2021, 08:04:58 AM »
Just a quick update on this, after I adopted the gang from @Nan

The gang were moved to their larger tank a few weeks ago, and introduced to Bertie (lemon bristlenose), gold stripe corys, lemon tetra, glass bloodfin tetra, amano shrimp & nerite snails.

Sorry @Matt after all the time you spent helping me to aquascape various tanks, but with this one I've regressed to just having a very practical layout with lots of hiding places for Bertie, and very easy plants that will probably survive being rearranged by the BN & corys on a regular basis, and don't need much maintenance.

I still haven't finished planting the tank as work is very busy. The company I work for manufactures diagnostic test kits (including Covid tests) so you can imagine how busy the past 12 months have been, and we are still working hard.

I just thought I'd post a few pics so Nan could see some of her fish, and I'll post more as/when I get the tank fully planted.

Big Bertha seems happy to have managed to get an entire wafer, while some of the other corys practise their synchronised cucumber nibbling. The large piece of wood which was relocated with the adopted fish has become a firm favorite with Bertie, who has found a very comfortable end to settle on, while the albino and gold strip corys do laps of the tank together. The moss on the wood had a bit of a "quarantine haircut" recently, but it's all growing back now.   ::)

Unfortunately the lone neon tetra passed a while back, but the oto is still going strong. I need to increase my numbers of tetra, and when the tank matures I'll look at getting the oto some friends too.

I hope to find the time & energy to finish the tank & post pics over the next few weeks.  :)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2021, 08:09:53 AM »
Bertie & the corys

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2021, 09:36:49 AM »
Another one of Bertie in his new favourite spot.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2021, 11:21:10 AM »
Good pics! That manzanita wood you got was so epic, it can wait though!!  :cheers:

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2021, 02:54:54 PM »
:)

Offline fcmf

« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2021, 03:49:47 PM »
Great to see the photos and read the updates - thanks, @Littlefish. Hopefully @Nan will be pleased to see them too.  Bertie looks hilarious  :cheers:.

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2021, 12:33:11 AM »
Hey - It's been over a year now since I posted here. Time is just rocketing by.  :o

I wanted to take a moment to wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happier New Year!  And once again thank Littlefish for taking in our brood. We very much miss Big Bertha and the boys - we were just talking about them while we were in the pet store today. I'm so glad they went to such a good home.

Things are going well in the States for us (as much as can be expected, given "things") and our new Betta, Donny, is still happily swimming around trying to look surly. He got upset at something several months ago and darted - right into a rock. He literally knocked himself out, and apparently damaged his jaw. He survived, but now has a decidedly odd mouth. It still works, he's still eating, he still seems happy, but he looks like an old prize fighter! Life goes on....

You folks stay safe and well.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2021, 04:59:38 AM »
Merry Christmas and happy new year to you too. Stay safe and well too - something I’ll also wish everyone - I’m sure this sentiment means more to many people at the moment given “things” as you put it!

Poor Donny with his jaw - the visual of an old prize fighter made me chuckle though I must admit!!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2021, 08:34:08 PM »
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.  :cheers:

Great to hear from you and it's good to know Donny is going strong in spite of his incident.

Your gang are still comfortable sharing the tank with Bertie and the others. This evening several of them are gathered in one corner and appear to be watching the tv.  ;D

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2021, 10:37:02 PM »
Ah, yeah, they like to watch the tv.  We always thought it odd that they seemed to really like "River Monsters", but they'd be there in the corner all lined up watching....  :rotfl:

Offline fcmf

« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2021, 09:34:59 PM »
Best wishes for the festive season to you too, @Nan.  Glad all is going well for you in the USA.  Donny sounds quite a character.

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: