Moving... A Long Way!?

Author Topic: Moving... a long way!?  (Read 136485 times) 51 replies

Offline jesnon

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Moving... a long way!?
« on: July 09, 2013, 11:25:28 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Right so... today has been interesting!  :o Things are moving pretty fast here with my partner being offered a new job but basically I am now very likely to be moving to Portsmouth within the next month... and I have no idea what to do with my fishies  :'( This is around a 2 hour drive away from my place in Bristol.

Is it actually feasible to take my fish that distance?  :(

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
Re: Moving... a long way!?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 12:56:23 AM »
Of course it is! There is an article in the Articles section about moving house (Where else would it be?)

By the way Bristol to Portsmouth doesn't really qualify as a "a long way"! ;)

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline jesnon

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 08:52:27 AM »
Glad to see this! And haha it doesn't seem a long way but I still havent got my head around being as far south as bristol yet :P

I remember reading that the easiest way to move is with a new tank.... Hmmmmmmm :-D

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 10:26:52 AM »
Congrats to your partner on the job  :D

With just the Edge it won't be difficult. You'll just need a smallish lidded bucket (for the tank water) and a couple of plastic bags (fish and filter media). You can start doing research now on the water in Portsmouth. The main thing to remember is if the water is very different you'll need to acclimate the fish carefully. The easiest would probably be to take as much tankwater as possible then you don't have to worry about drip acclimating the fish while sorting things out at the other end. Then just do several small water changes to gradually change from Bristol water to Portsmouth water.

Offline daniel_james_taylor

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 06:55:23 PM »
Hi Jesnon,

I transported 2 fish tanks and all the fish from Kent to the Isle of Wight and they had an overnight stop. I double bagged them in very large bags and were held upright in plant pots. I kept all of the water and kept the filters  and plants all submersed in water too. They spent the night in the plant pots with the bags open for air. Topped them up a little with some spare water then moved to our house on the Island. We didnt feed them the night before to limit the amount of waste.

Just take it easy, ensure they are well supported and have extra water and bags just in case!

Good luck :)

Offline daniel_james_taylor

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 07:33:40 PM »
Also if you go to your lfs and ask they normally keep the large polystyrene boxes that the fish are transported to the shop in. They may charge you a small amount but it will help insulate and protect your fish during transit.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 11:53:06 AM »
Sorry I thought I'd said thank you for all the tips!

I just wanted to ask... Since I'm going to have to use a removal company for all my furniture and it won't be possible for us to move the stand after this, is it acceptable to put the tank onto the floor so I can properly dedicate a day to moving the tank? I'm not sure what else to do!

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 01:54:41 PM »
The Edge has a built in stand doesn't it? That little square thing that's smaller then the actual tank? It should be OK to put the tank on that on the floor so long as the floor isn't to wonky.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 04:31:50 PM »
Ahh brilliant! That's a load off! Yeah it has the little black stand bit and my floor is flat since it's a new build. I think I'll do that then so that my proper stand can be taken to the new house before I move the tank the next day / a couple of days later

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 05:12:30 PM »
It occurred to me while I was wallpapering and had the modem unplugged in case I caught the cable - be very careful moving the tank off the stand. They are not supposed to be moved with water in as it will slosh around and that can damage the corner seals or even the glass itself. You would be safest taking a lot of water out then refill it once it's on the floor.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 05:56:41 PM »
Ooh oki will do, thanks again Sue! Is it safe to leave fish and shrimp in during this process?

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 07:25:38 PM »
Strictly speaking, you should completely empty the tank. But as it is so small, you should get away with leaving just enough water for to keep the fish covered, and lift it very carefully with 2 of you. If you have enough buckets, you can put the water back in when it's moved.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 10:33:48 AM »
Thanks for this Sue! Think I will go with this approach then. I'll probably need to buy more buckets anyway for when I'm actually moving the tank. Where do you get buckets with lids!? The only thing I could think of was buying some bottles of water and emptying the contents for my tank water, though that would be about 20 bottles!!

Offline Sue

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 12:55:59 PM »
You used to be able to get buckets with lids 30 years ago, I had some for soaking nappies in. Disposables were awful back then  ;D Now that you mention it, I haven't seen any for a long time......

Wilkinsons sell 25 litre homebrew bins if those would be any good.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 01:36:34 PM »
Ooh that might be useful actually thanks Sue. Would also store the whole contents of my water in one go - bonus!

Offline Sue

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2013, 01:51:59 PM »
And the advantage with a brewing bin is that it must be food safe so will be safe for fish. The danger with things not intended with food use is that might not be fish safe eg some things can be impregnated with anti-bac.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2013, 03:47:09 PM »
Very true Sue!
So today popped to MA and they gave me some bags for fish and insulated box for free (great stuff!) and bought the fermenting bucket on you.found Sue, so might just be ready for the move. Well for my fish at least! we still haven't started packing, eek!

My boyfriend has been talking about oxygenating tablets but I'm assuming for around 3 hours they'll be ok?

Thinking 4 fish in one bag, 4 in another, and the 3 shrimp in another with moss ball and maybe another plant, then other plants and wood in the other bags.

The plant pot idea to keep them standing upright sounds great too.

We're moving next weekend from Friday to Sunday, I guess we'll move the fish last on Sunday.

Another other advice? I'm going to make a list as suggested by Chucklett so I don't end up in panic mode! Also if I move plants and would the day before will they be fine in bags overnight or would they be better in a bucket until I move everyone else? (going from chucklett's suggestion of avoiding churning the water up too much when trying to catch everyone!

Offline Sue

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2013, 04:12:15 PM »
Can the filter be unhooked from the tank and run in the bucket? If it can, when you empty the tank to move the stand you could just leave everything running in the bucket till you're ready to bag the fish. But if you can't run the filter anywhere but the tank, you'll have to put the water ad fish back in the tank till you're ready to bag up.

For 3 hours in a bag they'll be OK - but make sure the bag has one third water and two thirds air, and tie the bag up tightly. That ratio of air:water should ensure the livestock has enough oxygen for 3 hours. The other consideration is - they will be excreting ammonia in the bag, and also carbon dioxide. The CO2 will dissolve in the water and make it slowly more acidic. Ammonia is les toxic the more acidic the water is. That's the reason for keeping the bag tied tight, so the CO2 doesn't gas off as ammonia builds up.
Have I mentioned not to feed them for at least one day before the move to reduce the amount of ammonia they make?
Don't forget you'll need another bag with water for the filter or at least the media - again a 2:1 air :water ratio.

Re the brewing bin - my husband used to make homebrew and had a brew bin like that. And I knew that Wilkos sell homebrew equipment as I've bought wine making stuff from there  ;D

Fingers crossed for you next weekend!

Offline Cinders

• Fishy Member
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2013, 05:48:32 PM »
Good luck Jesnon.   Not an easy task.   I take it you found somewhere nice to live in the end.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2013, 07:13:34 PM »
Can the filter be unhooked from the tank and run in the bucket? If it can, when you empty the tank to move the stand you could just leave everything running in the bucket till you're ready to bag the fish. But if you can't run the filter anywhere but the tank, you'll have to put the water ad fish back in the tank till you're ready to bag up.

I *think* that's possible though I'm not 100% sure. I think I can just slot it all out and thread the cable through the unit but my boyfriend was the one who set the whole tank up. That would make life a lot easier if it were possible. Would be funny watching my fish sitting in a bucket! If this were possible do you think the bucket would be OK with a heater stuck to the side?

For 3 hours in a bag they'll be OK - but make sure the bag has one third water and two thirds air, and tie the bag up tightly. That ratio of air:water should ensure the livestock has enough oxygen for 3 hours. The other consideration is - they will be excreting ammonia in the bag, and also carbon dioxide. The CO2 will dissolve in the water and make it slowly more acidic. Ammonia is les toxic the more acidic the water is. That's the reason for keeping the bag tied tight, so the CO2 doesn't gas off as ammonia builds up.
Have I mentioned not to feed them for at least one day before the move to reduce the amount of ammonia they make?
Don't forget you'll need another bag with water for the filter or at least the media - again a 2:1 air :water ratio.

Thanks again Sue, all great advice! Will remember not to feed the fishies too. I still haven't actually looked at what the water is like either.. Really need to get on that! I tell you, I wish I'd finished work about a week ago so I had time to sort everything out, it's been a little bit stressful considering how little we've actually done! Glad for your knowledge as always Sue - even of homebrewing!!

And thank you Ciders! I'm really not looking forward to this whole moving part, particularly the tank as I'm so clumsy and tend to lose my temper with inanimate objects quite easily so I can imagine the frustration already!!

Yeah we found a lovely flat in the centre of Southampton (we decided on Southampton in the end since we really liked it there). Unfortunately the flat is if anything slightly smaller though, so my dreams of a new tank may already be over!! Still... I went into MA earlier and drawled at the clown fish for a while... wish I could get a marine tank! They also had some gorgeous corys in that reminded me of Resa, I can see why she loves them so much!

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Moving... a long way!?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
moving home

Started by ann bates New Fishkeepers

4 Replies
Last post June 12, 2013, 02:20:44 PM
by ann bates
7 Replies
Last post April 04, 2016, 08:08:44 PM
by Paddyc
20 Replies
Last post May 12, 2016, 07:10:08 AM
by Richard W
8 Replies
Last post June 16, 2016, 11:13:19 PM
by Evolution Stu
16 Replies
Last post September 01, 2017, 10:24:13 PM
by fcmf
39 Replies
Last post December 29, 2019, 11:49:36 AM
by Sue
10 Replies
Last post September 19, 2020, 09:45:59 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: