Lowering The PH

Author Topic: Lowering the pH  (Read 5498 times) 22 replies

Offline AndreaC

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Lowering the pH
« on: September 30, 2014, 02:59:28 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all :) Okay so my tank has FINALLY cycled. Last night I did all my usual tests and then it occurred to me that I hadn't actually tested my pH  :o When I did it came in at 7.6 which I know if on the slightly high side... I'm going to start off by getting some male guppies which I know will be fine with that pH but then I'm going to add honey gouramis, cories, otos and rams and I know the rams especially prefer a lower pH. I do have a piece of driftwood in my tank which is supposed to lower the pH but I was wondering if there's anything else I can do to lower it without putting anything in my tank that will further discolor the water? I really, really don't want to give up on having rams so any advice would be very much appreciated :)

Offline Jwc

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Re: Lowering the pH
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 05:34:02 AM »
Someone asked this not so long back and I'm sure they are using peat moss in the filter. Maybe worth looking at that thread.

Offline AndreaC

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 08:01:46 AM »
I did see that, but when i googled using peat moss it seemed like it colors the water quite badly and i'm really hoping to avoid that if i can

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 08:13:14 AM »
Futzing with your pH is really, really not worth it unless it's way off to one side, it's far more important to keep the pH stable.

A pH of 7.6 is fine for the majority of fish, it's the GH that you need to be aware of but again, we're talking extremes here. Rams like that on the lower side and guppies like it on the higher side, but if you aim for the overlap which will be about 8º to 10º then you'll be fine. Tank bred fish are raised in 'average' water and aren't as picky as wild caught fish.

What's your GH?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 08:22:45 AM »
The problem is that it's generally the tannins released by things like bogwood, peat, certain leaves etc which are acidic and reduce the pH but then it's also the tannins which colour the water. It's difficult to get one without the other. Running carbon in the filter is supposed to help remove the discolouration but then it's not really advisable to run carbon permanently (and it's unlikely to completely remove the discolouration).

I'd avoid adding chemicals to try and some the problem as this is likely to give you pH fluctuations so it perhaps leaves you with the option of using something like RO water (although I don't know a lot about this - someone else will be able to better advise).

Offline AndreaC

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 02:33:54 PM »
Ooh I actually have no idea what my GH is. That's general hardness, isn't it? How do I find out? I did look up RO water and I think it's going to be an expensive option but i will look into it if there aren't any other options :)

Offline ColinB

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 06:08:55 PM »
Ooh I actually have no idea what my GH is. That's general hardness, isn't it? How do I find out?

Your water supplier will have a web-page somewhere on their site that you put your postcode into and they'll give you the water stats for your area.... probably in ppm.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 06:42:04 PM »
I know Andrea lives 'down under' - do water companies there put things like hardness on their websites?

Failing that you could always ask a shop to test it, but in this case make sure you ask what the number is and what units they are using. I can think of 5 different units for measuring GH, there may be more.......

Offline ColinB

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 07:47:02 AM »
I know Andrea lives 'down under'....

Oops - I forgot that!

Offline AndreaC

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2014, 02:52:07 PM »
Haha I've actually moved from New Zealand to Australia, so to me I'm fairly far north! I spent ages looking today and couldn't find any information about our water hardness so I will go get it tested before I put any fish in :) I should probably start a new thread for this, but obviously my tank is fully cycled however I know that a lot of fish need to be introduced to a mature tank. I want to keep guppies, rams, honey gouramis, cories and otos- is there a particular order that I should add them to the tank?

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2014, 05:17:56 PM »
I would wait to add the rams just because they can be delicate fish. And wait till you have grown some algae for the otos. Other than those, you should be OK with the rest.

Offline AndreaC

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 02:37:34 AM »
Okay, so I finally found the number to call to find out what the general hardness of my water is. The lady I spoke to said it varies between dGH 5.1 and 10.6. Does that mean anything to anyone? It seems like a huge variation and that'll be because we get our water from different sources throughout the year.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 07:51:36 AM »
That makes sense.... it's a fairly soft to medium variation. You should be alright with the majority of fish in this, but I'm afraid the guppies won't be happy in 5º.

If the water source changes quickly from 5º to 10º then, as long as you don't do a huge water change, your usual water change regime will affect a gradual change between the two.

Offline Sue

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2014, 10:53:55 AM »
You might be better doing 2 smaller changes (say 15%) a week instead of one larger (say 25%) change.

Offline AndreaC

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 01:51:13 PM »
Does that mean I'm better to rethink the guppies? and will the rams be okay in that?

Offline Sue

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2014, 02:12:10 PM »
The rams would be very happy in the 5 deg end of the range, but less so at the 10 deg end. Though if you could get rams that have no wild ancestors for several generations, they would be fine even at 10.
Most south american tetras would be fine in that hardness too if you want to swap similar sized tetras for guppies.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2014, 02:17:29 PM »
The Rams should be fine....  but I'd rethink the guppies. 5º GH is too low for them.

It's said that soft water fish are more tolerant of harder water than hard water fish are of softer water. This is because of the osmosis that goes on between the fishes body and the surrounding water. The fish is 'saltier' than the tank water - so pure water passes from the tank water into the fishes body - it doesn't need to drink. (In the sea the sea is saltier than the fish, so water passes from the fish to the sea, so the fish has to drink salt water and process it to get the water it needs - so it's more easily poisoned by impurities.)

If you put a hard water fish into soft water there is an even bigger difference between the tank water and the fishes body water, and the osmotic pressure goes up - to the detriment of the fish. If you put a soft water fish into harder water, the fishes body water is closer to that of the tank water and the osmotic pressure goes down - this is less harmful.

Offline Rich_D

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2014, 06:31:28 PM »
The Rams should be fine....  but I'd rethink the guppies. 5º GH is too low for them.

It's said that soft water fish are more tolerant of harder water than hard water fish are of softer water. This is because of the osmosis that goes on between the fishes body and the surrounding water. The fish is 'saltier' than the tank water - so pure water passes from the tank water into the fishes body - it doesn't need to drink. (In the sea the sea is saltier than the fish, so water passes from the fish to the sea, so the fish has to drink salt water and process it to get the water it needs - so it's more easily poisoned by impurities.)

If you put a hard water fish into soft water there is an even bigger difference between the tank water and the fishes body water, and the osmotic pressure goes up - to the detriment of the fish. If you put a soft water fish into harder water, the fishes body water is closer to that of the tank water and the osmotic pressure goes down - this is less harmful.

As informative as this forum is that is a fantastic post and very interesting! Puts me at rest for the cardinals I really want to keep but concerned that I have hard water!

Angelfish (6) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Assassin Snail (1) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Ruby Barb (10) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (10) - Sparkling Gourami (15) - Golden Pencilfish (15) - Angelfish (7) - Japonica Shrimp (9) - Assassin Snail (5) - Panda Cory (8) - Golden Pencilfish (7) - Diamond Tetra (9) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Flame Tetra (2) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Round Banded Barb (10) -

Offline AndreaC

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2014, 01:17:56 AM »
Hmmm okay thank you for helping me with this before I got any fish! If I'm going to keep electric blue rams and honey gouramis does anyone have a suggestion regarding what small fish I could have? I do tend to like barbs more than tetras and I definitely don't want any blue or yellow fish because I'll have those already lol my tank is 60 L :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2014, 12:10:04 PM »
I know you said you prefer barbs to tetras, but how about ember tetras? Pale washed out orange in the shop but bright orange red when they've settled in your tank. Or Microdevario kubotai if you can find any. Also known as neon green rasboras - they are green.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Lowering the pH "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post May 17, 2021, 07:00:11 AM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: