Looking For New Additions

Author Topic: Looking for new additions  (Read 4402 times) 16 replies

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Looking for new additions
« on: February 09, 2015, 11:25:27 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello. I have a very lightly stocked 240l planted tank and am looking for some new inhabitants. I have harlequin rasbora, cardinal tetras and coolie loaches. I am looking for something a bit bigger and looked at some of the larger rainbow fish, silver dollars, pearl gouramis and giant danios on the community creator. They all had the same warning that they are too big for the harlies. Will any of these actually be OK, or do I need to think of something smaller? If so, do you have any suggestions? Thank you.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
Re: Looking for new additions
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 09:42:14 AM »
There are two reasons for not keeping large and small fish together - the large fish might eat the small fish or their physical size might intimidate the small fish. In the case of the fish you name I suspect the latter.

Rainbowfish, for example, won't be able to eat cardinals let alone harlies because they have very narrow throats for the size of the fish. Provided your hardness is OK for the species of rainbow you like, they should be fine.

Silver dollars are quite big fish. Seriously Fish recommends a tank at least 6 foot/180cm long. Unless your tank is that size, I would give silver dollars a miss.

Giant danios would also fall in the 'intimidation' category as danios of all sorts are fast swimmers. Like the smaller zebra danio, these fish like the water a bit cooler than cardinals at 18 to 25 deg C so if you go with these, turn the heater down a bit.

Pearl gouramis. The CC is the thing that put me off these fish as I have smaller fish than you. They are calm fish, unlike rainbows and giant danios, so they shouldn't stress your current fish with their activity. I suppose they might try to eat the cardinals - I think harlies are safe because of their body shape and gouramis wouldn't find kuhlis unless yours are out and about all the time.
Seriously Fish gives the max size for pearls as 12cm. There is the slightly smaller (10cm) thick lipped gourami as an alternative, if you can find them.

Given the fish you mention, I assume you are looking at midwater fish rather than bottom fish? Some of the small cichlids would go nicely with the fish you have, fish such as apistogrammas, bolivian rams, Laetacaras, Nannacaras etc. Or kribs if you want African fish. But they are mainly bottom dwellers.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 09:54:58 AM »
Not sure I'd agree about cichlids. Even the small ones can become very territorial if they breed, which they often do, like it or not. Harlequins and Cardinals could be targets in that case.

Pearl gouramies do have a reputation for being extremely peaceful, certainly very beautiful fish when adult. Something I would try if I had a big enough tank.

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 02:27:51 PM »
I have found with dwarf cichlids breeding that they don't bother mid water fish. Maybe a bit of chasing but no damage done. I'd better qualify that: when I had bolivian rams and cockatoo cichlids breed in my tanks, they didn't harm their tank mates, just chased them away from the immediate vicinity of the eggs.
I have no experience of kribs or Laetacaras, and my Nannocaras didn't breed before succumbing to camallanus worms, so they might be more aggressive.

Richard, how would you feel about pearl gouramis with Helen's fish?
Or with mine, I still have ember tetras, green neon tetras and Microdevario kubotai? I'm thinking of getting more embers when I can go shopping, but the rest of the new fish are yet to be decided.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 04:43:10 PM »
I was very tempted by small cichlids, but in the end decided not to have any because of the possibility of them becoming very territorial when breeding and chasing other fish to the other end of the tank. Mind you, I was a bit limited anyway by my hard water which would exclude the rams etc., kribs would probably be the best choice. I also wondered what I would do with any fry that survived. In my teenage years we used to breed Egyptian mouthbrooders, which were very popular then but seem to have been overtaken by more colourful (but not necessarily more interesting) species and knowing what to do with the numerous fry that survived was a problem then.

I don't have any direct experience with Pearl gouramies, but everything one reads says that they are very peaceful with other species, positively timid in fact, though I guess the rivalries between males or a male chasing an unwilling female might be a problem, much like all gouramies. But I don't think they'd be a threat to small fish. Having said that, I must admit I like to keep similar sized fish in any tank, I think they look better in "matched sizes" and small fish are likely to be less stressed. Since my tanks are only 60 - 120L that means I stick to small fish.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 07:34:19 PM »
Ooh, lots of food for thought, thank you. Basically my tank has been a bit neglected recently, but surprisingly my fish have survived, except for my corries. :( I know I need to re establish a much better maintenance regime before I buy any more fish, but thought doing a bit of research and having something to aim for would help motivate me to make the time. My small shoals of harlies and cardinals look lovely in the tank, and I'm thinking about adding to their numbers, but actually struggle to count and keep track of them if there are more than about a dozen.

I'm trying to find a fish or two that are a different size to the existing shoals to add interest. I have considered angels in the past, and still would, but am worried that they could be hard work if I happen not to get ones with friendly dispositions.

When I first started my tank, I had dwarf gouramis, zebra danios and a bristlenose plec. Sadly they didn't do very well, but I'm not sure if that was because of my water conditions or because I was struggling to establish my tank. If it's the latter I'd be tempted to go for them again (not dwarf gouramis, but another sort), but would want to be sure as I wouldn't to risk killing them.

Now my tank is doing better than really it should!

Am I aiming too big, looking at fish that have a max size of 12cm?

Thanks for your comments.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 07:36:19 PM »
By the way, I run my tank at 25 degrees.

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 09:18:52 PM »
I've just remembered why your tank has been neglected. She's 2 any day now, isn't she?

I knew there was a thread somewhere  ;D

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 10:02:51 PM »
On Thursday!  She's changed quite a bit since that picture ;D She loves the fish, when she can see them. We're currently trying to interest her in feeding the fish. Think we have a while till she learns not to feed them the whole tub of flakes. I'm hoping to start a 'little and often' maintenance schedule.

I think I started a thread previously about adding angels to my tank, and was going to add to it, but couldn't find it.

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 01:35:29 PM »
You mentioned angels in here. Is this the thread you were thinking about?

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2015, 09:33:21 AM »
Think I've decided on which fish to to go for.

I think I will get another half dozen each of the harlies and cardinals, a bristlenose plec, some pearl gouramis. And replace my two nerite snails.

I'm also thinking about cories, I had bronze cories previously and their rootling around the gravel really helped with the maintenance of my tank. There's not much information on here about cories, does anyone know about emerald cories?

Now I just need to work out my stocking rate. I currently have 9 harlies, 10 cardinals, an extremely old glowlight tetra and 3? Kuhlis. A third of their body mass gives me about 20cm of fish. Does that sound about right? Would that let me get half a dozen each of the harlies and cardinals in one go, if they are small (less than half size)?

What's the betting I've changed my mind before I've stocked everything?!

Offline Richard W

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2015, 09:53:07 AM »
What are usually called Emerald cories are not true cories but Brochis splendens which grow much bigger, up to 8 cms, and need a bigger tank. There are lots of smaller pretty cories all of which have very similar requirements, it's matter of what takes your fancy and what you can find. They really are much happier in groups of 6 or more.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2015, 12:34:47 PM »
Richard, what do you mean by 'a bigger tank'. Mine is 240l, 120cm long

Offline Richard W

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2015, 12:55:21 PM »
I'm sure that would be big enough. I meant "bigger than is needed for true Corydoras". I wanted to be sure you knew the potential size of Brochis and that you allow for it when calculating your stocking rate.

As always, it's worth checking with SeriouslyFish :
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/brochis-splendens/

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2015, 02:29:07 PM »
Planet Catfish is the bible for corys

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2015, 08:13:47 PM »
So having made a decision on what to get, I got all excited and made a trip to my LFS. They actually had everything on my list, except the snails (and judging by the tank, it was because they'd sold out by Sunday afternoon), so I spent a long time in the shop trying to decide which ones to get. My other pet fell asleep on the way over, so her dad sat in the car with her which meant I could ruminate unmolested.

In the end, I went for 6 more cardinals, 6 more harlies and a bristlenose plec. And walked away before I was tempted by any more. The harlies are actually a bit bigger than I thought, so hope that doesn't cause problems with water quality over the next few days. (Would it be acceptable to take a ruler to my LFS as I clearly can't estimate a fish' size).

The point of this post is that there are currently some very interesting behaviours in my tank. The new cardinals seemed to have just fitted in to the school, possibly because they are so much smaller than the existing fish. But there is some serious grandstanding going on amongst the harlies. I can't actually tell which are the new ones, but they would appear to be establishing their place in the school hierarchy. This will sort itself out without fatalities, I hope.

I'm also now a little worried about my single glowlight tetra. For years he has been behaving like a cardinal, but all the new company seems to have spooked him a bit. I guess it's a generation thing, he is about 100 in fish years (I've had him more than 4 years, and he was 6-18 months old when I rehomed him for a friend.)

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 08:36:54 PM »
Thought I'd update. I bought 6 harlies, 6 cardinal tetras and a small - medium sized bristlenose pled. (Just big enough to see that it is a he).

Two weeks later (last weekend) I bought 6 pearl gouramis, 2m 3f. In the last week the gouramis have got increasingly brave - when I went to feed the fish this evening, 3 of them were waiting in the scrum of harlies and cardinals. :) They have already started to colour up, bellies getting quite orange, and their spots showing up quite blue. I have a feeling they are going to become rather beautiful fish.

The plec, now named Bertie has done an amazing job of cleaning my tank. So much so I'm starting to worry about being able to feed him enough. And his bristles are growing and starting to look quite interesting. My 2 yr old enjoys looking for and watching him in the tank.

And the plants have shown increased growth in the last week. I have some more on order,  so hope to finish my rejuvenation aquascaping next week.

Once the new plants have had a chance to settle, I will go and buy half a dozen, or so emerald catfish. Have decided to do it in that order so I don't spend weeks replanting my new purchases.

And then all I have to do is resist the urge to fiddle with the tank!

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Looking for new additions"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
13 Replies
Last post October 18, 2013, 10:17:13 AM
by DutchyHolland
4 Replies
Last post May 05, 2014, 02:38:57 PM
by chris213
5 Replies
Last post October 23, 2014, 09:08:33 AM
by ColinB
4 Replies
Last post March 04, 2015, 02:58:21 PM
by Fiona
5 Replies
Last post December 03, 2017, 05:34:59 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: