Keeping An Aquarium Cool In The Hot Weather

Author Topic: Keeping an aquarium cool in the hot weather  (Read 4944 times) 20 replies

Offline Vanadia

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
Keeping an aquarium cool in the hot weather
« on: July 24, 2019, 07:10:51 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
There is a heatwave and my aquarium temperature is up to 29 degrees this morning. I am worried it could go even higher tomorrow! I keep fish which prefer cooler water such as zebra danios and white cloud mountain minnows, and I usually have my tank at 22-24 degrees.

How much of a problem is this temperature rise, and does anyone has any suggestions as to how I can cool my aquarium down?

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Re: Keeping an aquarium cool in the hot weather
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 08:09:13 AM »
This weather can be a problem for all sorts of pets. Fish will encounter weather/temperature fluctuations in the wild, but this will cause stress.

I also have danios, WCMM, and other temperate fish, so my sympathies are with you. My biggest problem is my axolots, which have been known to die in temperatures above 24C. Over the past few years I've picked up a few tips, especially on the axolotl forum, about keeping tanks cool.

Fill bottles with water and pop them in the freezer, or use ice packs. When frozen put them in a large ziplock bag/freezer bag, and float them in your tank water. Depending on the size of your tank, this is usually the easiest solution to a short term heat problem, and with enough bottles/packs you can rotate them and keep things cool.

Use a fan to blow across the surface of the water, which will help with evaporation. The down side with this is that lots of evaporation will start to concentrate the mineral content of your water, so evaporation should be replaced with RO.

Wet/damp towels draped over the tank, with a fan blowing onto the towel will also help.

If you are absolutely desperate, and at home all day, several water changes during the day will also help to keep things cool. Don't do huge/very cold water changes as a rapid change of temperature will also cause stress. Keep an eye on the thermometer and the fish as you lower the temperature.

Don't have your tank lights too bright, or raise them further away from the tank as well.

I ended up getting a chiller for the axolotl tank because low temperature is so critical for them. I'm not currently running a chiller on my river tank (which contains temperate fish), but it's a big tank, so doesn't heat up quickly, and I tend to go with the usual tips for keeping the room cool (closing curtains & windows on sunny side of house, etc.), along with ice packs & damp towels.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 08:32:49 AM »
Also be aware that warmer water doesn't have as much oxygen, so make sure you have plenty of surface water movement, pop in an air stone if you have one, and this should help while you lower the temperature.

Chiller units are relatively expensive, and I had to get one for the axolotls because they really appreciate water around 15-16C. I ended up driving home from work to change freezer packs during my lunch breaks a couple of years ago, and realised that it wasn't a long term solution. It's a big tank, so I decided it was worth the money, but there are down sides. The warm air from the chiller unit has to go somewhere, and it does make the room warmer. Yesterday I changed it to keep the temperature to 18C instead, as it was having an impact on the other tanks in the room.

My river tank is currently running at around 25C, but it's due a water change today, so I'll be putting cooler water in, and using frozen water bottles on that tank.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 02:04:52 PM »
Fill bottles with water and pop them in the freezer, or use ice packs. When frozen put them in a large ziplock bag/freezer bag, and float them in your tank water. Depending on the size of your tank, this is usually the easiest solution to a short term heat problem, and with enough bottles/packs you can rotate them and keep things cool.

Hi Littlefish,

This method could potentially cause rapid cooling of the tank water, which would not be good for the inhabitants. Factors such as water flow rate, tank size and cooling bag size would need to be considered.

JPC

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 02:45:13 PM »
Hi Folks,

I may be stating the obvious but reducing the amount of sunlight entering one's property should help. There is a lot of infrared energy in sunlight so it's worth keeping curtains, etc. closed. This doesn't stop windows being opened. Of course, it's tricky if we are away from home.

Now, here's an idea. Pumping cooled water through tubing immersed in the tank might be worth exploring. Another project to add to my list!

JPC

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 03:55:01 PM »
Keeping the room cooler -

Keep curtains, blinds etc closed for windows which face the sun. If you are out all day this might mean leaving all the curtains/blinds closed if different windows get sun at different times.
Leave the windows shut during the day to stop warm air coming in from outside
At night, leave as many windows open as possible - obviously not a good idea for ground floor windows (open invitation to burglars)

This does work for us, going outside it's like walking into an oven compared to indoors.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2019, 04:22:54 PM »
Hi JPC,

I agree that frozen bottles/ice packs can cause rapid cooling, and it does depend on tank size, etc.
Whichever method used it is necessary to keep an eye on the tank temperature & fish behaviour.
When I've used frozen bottles on my axolotl tank, which contains 400L water, 4 x 1 litre bottles of frozen water would reduce the temperature by less than 2C. Purchasing a chiller for that tank was so much better than worrying about it.  :)

Offline Vanadia

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2019, 06:59:53 AM »
I have managed to get the temperature down to 26.5 degrees using a fan on the surface of the water for a few hours yesterday. The fish seem to be really enjoying it! I do have a large airstone in my aquarium already so hopefully that should be keeping the water oxygenated. I don't have an RO filter, but the water level hasn't really gone down that much in my aquarium.

Its back up to 27.5 today but I am using the fan for an hour or so this morning to hopefully get it down a degree before I go to work.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2019, 07:37:39 AM »
An air stone and water surface movement will ensure that there is enough oxygen in the water.
You can get RO water from your local fish store, but if your water level hasn't gone down much then you should be fine with just doing a normal water change. It's forecast to get very hot today, and I'd expect the tank temperature to increase even with the fan. I'd suggest doing a water change when you get home from work to help bring the temperature down. You may end up having to do a few small water changes, so the temperature doesn't drop too quickly.
Best of luck, and at least the forecast for tomorrow is more normal for this time of year.  :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2019, 07:53:43 AM »
Maybe I'm lucky to live in the north. My main tank is currently at 24.5 deg, though the thermometer in the betta's tank has come adrift and is at the back of the tank so I've no idea yet for that one.
The house is in semi darkness; the windows all face north or south so at the moment all the south facing ones have the curtains, with thermal linings, shut. Late afternoon, we draw all the north facing curtains.

If you have fluorescent lights they get quite hot when they are on. Don't have them on today as they'll help heat the water. LEDs aren't as bad, but if those get warm leave them off too. It's only for a day or two in this country, plants won't come to harm during that length of time.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2019, 11:40:16 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Hi Folks,

Please bear in mind that aquarium thermometers can be quite inaccurate. You may want to take a look at:

https://fishlab.com/aquarium-thermometer/

I have acquired several aquarium thermometers over the years. Most of my electronic digital thermometers are inaccurate. I also have a conventional stick-on-side glass thermometer. One of the problems with digital thermometers is that they give the impression of being accurate because of the one decimal point readout. So we see figures of, for example, 26.3C. There is a big difference between resolution and accuracy.

I now use a Hanna Checktemp food thermometer, which has certified +/- 0.2C accuracy. A little expensive but there are lower cost alternatives.

JPC

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2019, 08:10:38 PM »
How have all your fish managed today? I have to confess that my main tank only went up 1 degree above normal.

But in the south, you've had it hot with the hottest July day on record being reached in Cambridge @Littlefish

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2019, 08:40:18 PM »
How have all your fish managed today? I have to confess that my main tank only went up 1 degree above normal.

But in the south, you've had it hot with the hottest July day on record being reached in Cambridge @Littlefish

Hi Sue,

So far, so good. Fingers crossed. I have some fish that have been taken above the suggested maximum. Notably, CPDs, Otos, Panda Garras, Pygmy Corydoras, and SAEs. I keep four tanks and they just got to 30C. This afternoon, I took the attached photo. It was taken in my back garden in the shade. An hour after taking the photo, the temperature climbed a further 0.9C. Phew!

I live in Bracknell, Berkshire and it has been stifling.

JPC

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2019, 09:00:31 PM »
Wow that is hot... the car was absolutely boiling tonight for my journey home... I had to run the aircon in the car for a while before in could face getting in it... my 6 week old is not a happy bunny. The storms and rain have cooled things down significantly now though and the next few days are set to be much cooler.

Offline Vanadia

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2019, 09:55:48 PM »
I live in London so it was really hot today! Managed to get my tank down to 26 degrees with the fan.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2019, 08:26:59 AM »

Apparently 38.1 here in Cambridge yesterday. I spent the whole day doing water changes on the tanks to get temperatures to around 25C. Went outside to throw some waste water into the garden and thought I was going to melt. I felt very sorry for anyone dealing with going to work in that sort of heat.

Everything seems so much better this morning.  ;D

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2019, 01:05:25 PM »
Hmmm - admittedly, I thought with the windows uncharacteristically open and the tank in the shadiest part of the NEE-facing part of the room, all would be fine.   :-[  Certainly, the gang have been behaving normally.  Even pre- lights on, and with it cooler today, it turns out that it's 28.1 - rather higher than the 24.0 it's meant to be!

I did do a mini 2L/jugful water change yesterday and it looks as though I'll have to do the same today.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2019, 06:11:56 PM »
I had the same issue with my tanks today, although it was quite reassuring to see condensation on the inside of the mudskippers tanks rather than on the outside of the axolotl tank.  ;D

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2019, 03:20:56 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 2
I don't think there's anything in this article https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/how-to-cool-your-aquarium-in-a-heatwave that hasn't been covered by our users already - who knows, perhaps it was inspired by seeing our thread. ;)

Offline Stripyjoe

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2019, 01:36:13 AM »
Hi, looks like lotsa members concerned over recent 'heatwave' - wasn' quite as severe as forecast down here in the SW.. but prompted me to 'investigate my options'.. I felt the water change with cooler water was perhaps the quickest and easiest fix, even if it had to be repeated, but not to 'do it blind'.. a little bit of maths first - sorta planning   ???   - example:  tank volume 60L    current tank temp 80F / 27C   proposed change 10L    input (tap) water temp 64F / 18C.. so, we gonna have 50L x 80F = 4000 + 10L x 64F = 640.. so, after water change we shud have 4000 + 640 = 4640 divided by 60L for new tank temp, i.e. 4640 / 60 = 77.3 F.. not bad - a 3 degF drop for one bowl of water.. I believe I tried that last week in my 350L cichi tank, just to check if my math was valid, and it seemed to work..  I  believe, even in that 60L tank, with just a 10L water change, the temperature drop wud take a few minutes and not be too much shock to the fish.. for bigger tanks, using 'more bowls' wud be even slower, so hopefully not a prob.. perhaps Littlefish and Sue can validate my 'math' assumptions.. either the 'theory' or in practice.. I believe it works,  and is a 'free' easy fix... :)  :) :)

Tags: temperature 

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Keeping an aquarium cool in the hot weather"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
New to fish keeping

Started by Resa « 1 2 ... 8 9 » New Fishkeepers

171 Replies
Last post April 08, 2013, 07:59:29 AM
by ColinB
6 Replies
Last post April 08, 2013, 10:21:11 AM
by jimbo1goey
8 Replies
Last post October 31, 2014, 03:41:08 PM
by biffster
6 Replies
Last post January 03, 2015, 07:11:48 AM
by AndreaC
6 Replies
Last post June 24, 2015, 02:24:44 PM
by SteveS
7 Replies
Last post November 12, 2016, 06:36:23 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post January 01, 2023, 02:40:12 PM
by Nan

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: