Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
“Interactive” fish
« on: May 04, 2020, 09:59:10 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I couldn’t find a good source of info for “interactive fish” ie those that come to the front to see the owner/get for food/whatever the behaviour is, fish that give the impression of interacting with us humans on the other side of the glass. Best known is likely guppies and Betta fish. Dwarf puffers also behave this way. I’m researching ideas for changing my stocking a bit for my 10month old who is obsessed with watching the fish. Not sure I’m going to best guppies for interactivity... are platies the same for example? Any more suggestions?

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: “Interactive” fish
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 10:43:14 PM »
Yes, I've definitely read of platies being interactive in this way.
Goldfish - which you'll know from your pond (unless there's less interaction when not 'face on'); of course, these wouldn't be suitable in a tropical tank and need large tanks if kept indoors.
I can vouch that it is possible to train a fish to interact with humans (animated facial expressions and talking directly to the fish generates a more active 'response') - but this is so much easier when one is on its own in a tank and not distracted by tankmates.

Offline Sue

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 11:58:24 AM »
The dwarf cichlids I've had in the past have been semi-interactive. If you sit in front of the tank they will swim to the front and stare at you. This makes it impossible to take photos of them as all you can get is a head on shot. But they are not interactive to the extend of begging for food etc.

Fish like oscars are always described as wet pets, but of course you need a very large tank for them.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 09:04:17 PM »
I'd say my dwarf puffers are probably the only ones that really beg for food now.
The mid-water swimmers in other tanks will line up/gather in the water flow just beneath the part of the tank lid I open to feed them pretty much whenever I stop in front of the tank. This is very noticeable in the tank that contains hatchets & tetras because they go from being fairly evenly spread throughout the tank to squashed up one end towards the front of the tank.
The rainbow shiners in the river tank do the same.
One of my previous bettas was very interactive, though his tank was right next to my favorite arm chair, so perhaps he just got used to someone being around his tank a lot.
My original v. platies were similar They were also very food motivated, so were happy to be hand fed.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 09:33:36 PM »
I think I’m coming to the conclusion that dwarf cichlids are what I’m after and that it’s German Blue Rams I really want to have again... nothing going to happen to hasty here just when the time is right I think I will go back to them... something about them I can’t resist. Going to get more this time round and see how they do in a bit of a group.  Yet I might also try out Bolivian Rams instead... ohhh decisions decisions....

I checked my water company website for water hardness which continues to go down year on year and now I’m way out of the range of any hard water fish like guppies and platies...

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 11:03:07 PM »
Bolivians are meant to be easier to keep than GBRs, if that helps at all.

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 09:34:14 AM »
I had Bolivians several years ago and they were lovely fish. They are harder to sex than 'ordinary' rams, but like rams they do have to choose their own partner. But they are fine kept singly.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "“Interactive” fish"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
8 Replies
Last post January 10, 2014, 10:45:54 PM
by SteveS
0 Replies
Last post February 25, 2014, 11:01:05 AM
by Robert
7 Replies
Last post May 08, 2015, 08:33:20 PM
by Robert
14 Replies
Last post September 16, 2015, 01:07:32 PM
by Extreme_One
0 Replies
Last post January 14, 2016, 09:27:06 PM
by fcmf
7 Replies
Last post August 05, 2017, 09:10:42 PM
by mizuti
4 Replies
Last post June 27, 2019, 01:16:48 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: