Help Please!

Author Topic: Help please!  (Read 2156 times) 4 replies

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Help please!
« on: April 26, 2015, 09:37:28 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Yesterday in the shrimp tank I noticed what appeared to be fine thread attached to the apple wood.
4 or 5 bits waving about at the top.

Today one of them has moved further down the wood.  I have looked with my husband's linen tester (very fine magnifier) and it is VERY strange.

Appears to be attached using one "leg" and has 5 or 6 antler like things waving around.  It looks like the sort of thing you would expect to see in a marine setup.  It is very very tiny.  It is almost transluscent.

Is this bad for my tank.  I've seen 5 of the shrimp this morning and they are busy busy busy sifting through the sand.

PS. Managed to get a photo I hope

Anyone have any ideas.  That piece of wood has been in there for a couple of months, was very dead when it went in. Was soak, boiled and scrubbed thoroughly so I can't imagine anything was living on it

Any help much appreciated.
I'm off to The Royal Albert Hall later this morning (son in law's treat) for a St. George's Day gala so don't have time to sort it out before I go.

Offline Richard W

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Help please!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 09:47:36 AM »
Sounds like Hydra. These might eat baby shrimp if  they go too near. However, if there is nothing small enough for them to eat at present, they might die off before you have babies. You should be able to pull it off with your fingers or forceps. Certainly must have been introduced with plants as they only live in water. No way it could have come in with the wood.

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 10:37:06 AM »
Thanks Richard. Looked it up. Yep, that's what it appears to be.

So much for soaking and inspecting my plants before they went in

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 11:08:51 AM »
Well, if it survives a rolling boil for 5 full minutes then it deserves to live. Perhaps I'll start a hydra tank in that case.

Thanks for your immediate help. Much appreciated.

I would have been sitting at the concert worrying about the hours wasted, especially as son-in-law is taking us to lunch first so it would have bee quite a few hours before I could attempt to sort it if you hadn't answered so promptly

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 02:37:01 PM »

Hi Sanjo,

This link has some useful info on hydra and also on killing it - should you wish to!

http://www.planetinverts.com/what_is_that_bug_in_my_aquarium.html

Hope you enjoyed the albert hall!

FC76

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: