Hair Algae

Author Topic: Hair algae  (Read 3120 times) 5 replies

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
Hair algae
« on: April 28, 2015, 06:15:01 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi Sue and all, haven't been of for ages, all is going well with my tanks at the mo, but my sister has two Fluval Chi 25L tanks, with a Betta in each, she has a problem with what we think is green hair algae, any suggestions on how to combat it please : )

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Re: Hair algae
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 06:33:14 PM »
Hello Aquamaid. Nice to see you again.
Fiona and I are asking similar questions at the moment so hopefully one of the experts will help us sort ourselves out.

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 06:46:38 PM »
Hi Sanjo, hope all's well with you and the fishes : )  Sorry i was too lazy to look through the posts, i will check yours out too : )

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 07:16:11 PM »
Do you mean the short green stuff, also called beard algae or the long stands several inches long?

I was plagued with both several years ago but then I got nerite snails and the amount diminished. Both have vanished from my two smaller tanks now but the short stuff is back in the big tank - which has had no snails or shrimps since I had to treat it for camallanus worms.

I don't know if the lack of algae in the smaller tanks is due to the presence of shrimps and snails or if my tank management has got better or if it is just that I now have all live plants rather than plastic/silk - even though the plants are just java fern, anubias and hornwort.
In the big tank, besides having no shrimps or snails, the treatment for camallanus worms could well have upset some micro-organisms in there leading to an imbalance of some sort resulting in algae.

None of this helps you though  :-[

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 07:40:26 PM »
Mine is short stuff and a nasty colour.
Grandson told me the other day that his plant  (Cabomba I think it was) was doing well.
When I sneakily checked his tank I was horrified as the "plant" was filling the tank and the fish were squeezing passed it.  I advised him to get it out pronto as I was sure it was hair algae.
No nan,, the fish love it, they are all eating it.
It's true it was a really lovely fluffy green but it was everywhere and not a sign of the original cabomba

Well he's 18 so I backed off, after all, what do I know, I'm a newcomer myself

A week later I had another look at his tank and was surprised to see it much emptier as he had decided to take my advice and remove it.  He said it stunk and he reckons he must have left little bits behind as it is growing again.
On the other hand I suspect he leaves the light on all day. I've "advised" him it's not a good idea but......

Now, if MY algae looked like ,y grandson's I'd probably jut try and keep it under control since, compared to what I have, it looked very attractive.

Since I had the bigger tank (where the problem is) it is more or less in the same place as the smaller one was but in my wisdom I thought I could utilise the natural light from the patio doors for most of the day so have swung the cabinet around and one end is more in the light. If the sunlight was too strong I covered the glass at the end.   It is that end that started with the algae. 
It began in my "tree" made from an applewood branch and covered with Christmas fern.  The grey/green fuzz is on the fern.

The reason I suspected the daylight is because the same fern is on the trunk of another bit of wood further away from the light and that stayed green.  It is now creeping onto my java moss cave.

There isn't a massive load like my grandson's but I'm disappointed that my lovely "green" tree now looks messy.

What with that the the Hydra appearing in the small tank I'm getting a bit fed up

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 02:22:24 PM »
Treat the hydras as suprise short term guests Sanjo, I had some appear in one of my tanks and they've all gone now, I think the puffers may have eaten them. If you don't like them just pick em off  ;)

2 of my 5 tanks have algae issues, 1 black hair algae and 1 green fluffy stuff but I've decided to live with it and just pull it out when it gets too much and/or just prune off affected leaves once a month. It means I've given up trying to grow hair grass but I console myself that the one growing in the pond out the back is doing great :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Hair algae"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post August 04, 2014, 10:08:02 AM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post December 02, 2014, 10:00:10 AM
by turbominijj
6 Replies
Last post January 24, 2015, 02:31:25 PM
by Jwc
13 Replies
Last post May 01, 2015, 07:25:13 PM
by Fiona
2 Replies
Last post April 30, 2016, 01:28:11 PM
by Fiona
5 Replies
Last post May 10, 2016, 09:07:47 PM
by Andy The Minion
18 Replies
Last post August 22, 2021, 08:50:08 AM
by Vanadia

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: